• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rucksack

The system which Sully describes sounds very similar to what Mystery Ranch have come up with in terms of the NICE Crew Cab system:  http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5850/.f?sc=7&category=50  As 64 pattern frames become increasingly difficult to source, I'd suggest that you have a look at this system.

Cheers,

Matt

Has anyone tried undoing the middle drawstring and using the ruck as one large bag?  I tried the other day but couldn't figure out how to stow the dividing material out of the way.  Also, has anyone tried a compression bag other than the issued one?

@ Malone, yes, that's how I normally use it. If you undo the drawstring enough the material should just lay flat against the sides.

As for compression bags, I just use one large (120L) Ortlieb canoe bag. Clothing at the bottom, sleeping bag in bivvy bag on  top of that, poncho/rain gear at top, daysack outside of storm cuff under main flap. I find the compression bag means you have a 10lb medicine ball that you have to try and pack around in the ruck. better just to stuff the sleeping bag, in bivvy bag, into the canoe bag. Also quicker to pack away when you need it, rather than trying to tighten up the straps on the compression sack.

Yeah, I rock it with the clothing at the bottom.  I found if you put the clothing at the top when you take your sleeping gear out of the bottom it collapses on itself.  And, yes, the issued compression bag is a fight to fill properly without it looking like a macaroni noodle when you're done.  I usually use a CP Gear bag. 

I'll try it as one large bag next time I'm it the field.  Thanks for your reply.

Any idea how to bend the Aluminum stays? i tried by hand but there is a weird curve in it that digs in my shoulder. would anything like a hammer work or would it just damage the stay?

matt.flaig said:
Any idea how to bend the Aluminum stays? i tried by hand but there is a weird curve in it that digs in my shoulder. would anything like a hammer work or would it just damage the stay?

You're supposed to be fitted by a SME and the stays bent to your template. Go see one of those guys or your storesman for an appointment.

It seems a little ridiculous, but people that make more money than us came up with the plan, although I'm making no judgement on how good that plan was.

Although you could probably just clamp it in something and do it yourself ::)

awesome, i did alot of it myself, i got a template but the template is done wrong, guess ill just get someone to come give me a hand with it and keep bending till it fits nice. also, anyone know where to get a better compression sack?

matt.flaig said:
awesome, i did alot of it myself, i got a template but the template is done wrong, guess ill just get someone to come give me a hand with it and keep bending till it fits nice. also, anyone know where to get a better compression sack?

Personally, when using the new ruck (as little as I can get away with) I ditch the compression sac, and just stuff my sleeping gear in the lower compartment. Save a bit of time, and I don't notice a difference in space taken.

However, if you're dead-set on a compression bag:

http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/bnc/5026_0.htm

or MEC:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?rnav=last&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442629343&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699989

Beadwindow 7 said:
Personally, when using the new ruck (as little as I can get away with) I ditch the compression sac, and just stuff my sleeping gear in the lower compartment. Save a bit of time, and I don't notice a difference in space taken.

However, if you're dead-set on a compression bag:

http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/bnc/5026_0.htm

or MEC:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?rnav=last&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442629343&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699989

I do a fair bit of my own backcountry expeditioning and can vouch for the OR compression bags from MEC. Light, strong, easy to pack things into. Just a bit on the expensive side, and not as waterproof as, say, a 64 Patt sleeping bag valise.

Just wondering if any of the Jump Coys are jumping with the new ruck, or are they all using the 64 pat/jump rucks still?

I don't know about the Jump Coy's, but my friend was on a recent course and they jumped with the new rucks.

Skeletor you can jump the new ruck using a Parachute drop bag.

While the bar system is a pain in the ass I will say that "IT WORKS"

I have bent my bars according to the drawn chart I was given and the rucksack is inifinitely more comfortable then the old one.  Like all things in the army, the new rucksack has been given poor reviews more so for the fact that people are resistant to change.  Sure bending the bars is an pain in the ass but its actually a very comfortable ruck if you set it up properly.

BulletMagnet said:
Skeletor you can jump the new ruck using a Parachute drop bag.

Do we small an end to people being able to use the 64 pattern\ jump ruck?

Eventually yes but short term not likely. In the end having used a multitude of rucks over the years one of the best for long distance heavy weight marching was/still is the 64 pattern.

I've yet to run into a chain of command that has enforced 100% adoption fo the CTS ruck. 

So far anyway.....

Stymiest said:
While the bar system is a pain in the *** I will say that "IT WORKS"

I have bent my bars according to the drawn chart I was given and the rucksack is inifinitely more comfortable then the old one.  Like all things in the army, the new rucksack has been given poor reviews more so for the fact that people are resistant to change.  Sure bending the bars is an pain in the *** but its actually a very comfortable ruck if you set it up properly.

I didn't mind bending them I am just curious on how long they stay bent and not deform on long marches. I might be a bigger fan of the ruck if they hadn't issued me an XL bag with XS shoulder straps and XS waste buckle

Lil r said:
I didn't mind bending them I am just curious on how long they stay bent and not deform on long marches. I might be a bigger fan of the ruck if they hadn't issued me an XL bag with XS shoulder straps and XS waste buckle

And that'll be the rub. The more room and the bigger the bag, the more someone is going to want people to carry.

Back