• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Rucksack

Infanteer said:
Too big; won't fit in my LAV.... 8)
That's ok.  If you have a LAV, you won't need the new ruck.  If you don't have a LAV, then the ruck can't be worn with PPE, so you need your LAV. 
Lesson?  Bring your LAV.  8)

Could someone please tell me what the size/s of our new ruck sack is capacity wise?
Like 70 liters or 90L or?

Flawed Design said:
Could someone please tell me what the size/s of our new ruck sack is capacity wise?
Like 70 liters or 90L or?

CTS in the past has quoted 80L. Sorry, can't find a link to that. I can state from experience that with the front flap open and the legs hanging out, it will hold one private.  ;D Only time I've seen an air sentry employed in the marching order role.

Brihard said:
I can state from experience that with the front flap open and the legs hanging out, it will hold one private.  ;D Only time I've seen an air sentry employed in the marching order role.
I believe Wonderbread can attest they come in Coporal size as well....

daftandbarmy said:
Has anyone parachuted with it yet? I've jumped a few times in the past with a trials pack about as large, and it nearly killed me. I guess I should have read the instructions first....

3VP jumped it in May 09 with extended PELS.  It can be done but if you are under about 6' the main bag will probably be dragging on the deck as you exit the aircraft.  The next Equipment jump after that the new rucks were prohibited.

I still have scars from my last 13klicks...it was on march 27th, we are now the 17th of may ! That belt sucks. It's hard to get it tight under full FFO and when it IS tight, it will saw through your skin.

My best and only mod I did was to add a strap with fastex buckles that goes from the upper-back area that goes and clips to the front of the bag, thus keeping the outside of the bag from sagging out and not having to rely-fumble with the side straps.

If you have no clue about what I did I may add pictures on request.

phil, please do.

I tried it on our warm up a week or so ago.. returned home and packed my small pack, which we have permission to use.

Bzz, that's exactly what CFJSR is doing for their BFT, using the small pack with vest.  Lots of weight in the vest, minimal in the small pack.  From what I understand, the new ruck was never really meant for humping around when full.  I saw my WO's ruck last year and I just about shit.  He's a tall man and I could probably fit in his ruck standing up.  I'll stick with the one I have, thanks.

I've come to view the new Ruck as the Kitbag replacement.

I wonder if the ruck was conceived at the same time as the new barrack box?  You know, too big and bulky but really nice and shiny?

The new ruck sucks.

I could list all the reasons why, but they've already been covered in this thread.

I spent this last weekend trying to gerry-rig my (cracked) 64 frame back together.

The army would do well if it stopped hiring civvies to re-invent the wheel for us....

somedude said:
The new ruck sucks.

I could list all the reasons why, but they've already been covered in this thread.

I spent this last weekend trying to gerry-rig my (cracked) 64 frame back together.

The army would do well if it stopped hiring civvies to re-invent the wheel for us....

What they could do is ask the soldiers/sailors and the airman/air women who use the kit the most what is wrong with it and how they would change it.

harry8422 said:
What they could do is ask the soldiers/sailors and the airman/air women who use the kit the most what is wrong with it and how they would change it.

Isn't that what they did this time around?

My biggest complaint with it, after using it a bit more is that dreaded waist belt.  The '84 pattern was horrible, but it at least somewhat worked.  The new ruck worked well for an occasion sandbag ruck march up to OP3 in MSG, without the belt.  I tried with 2 sandbags but couldn't lift the ruck due to it being so awkward and big.  It wasn't a problem with the daybag, other than trying to fit 2 full sandbags.

That's what I found.  I kind of liked it at first, then I loaded it with kit.  Radio, spare btys, 48hrs rats, water and double frontline with minimal sleep and snivel kit put the ruck over it's limit for comfort, cut up my hips and the load in relation to the harness was so ackward it made rucking up such a pain that I usually just left the ruck on unless we were staying put for a long time.

The design would probably be alright if they put it on a diet, slimmed the waist belt up so it didn't push down on your hip flexors and added some lower back support to compensate for the gap left when wearing armour.  Fully loaded I think I used less than half the available capacity...

Remember the design of this ruck did not take into account Tac Vest and Frag Vest w/Ballistic Plates......

Yes, because as we were told at our rucksack fitting and issue, you won't do ruck marches in FFO.  ???

Back