• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NEW CANFORGEN - TPT ASST RES FORCE PERS ON CL A AND B RES SVC

Reindeer Meatloaf - are you still employed with the same organization?  I'm doing this research for my hubby (he sucks at pers admin).  He was Cl B(A), receiving TAA when the restriction came in, then did a CT in 05.  This is somewhat complicated for him!

geo said:
1 - regs aren't entitled to it, they get their housing allowance.
They get CA, SCA or a cost move instead.

2 - reservists had it and it was taken away.

And there was no plan to replace it with a benefit or allowance that was fair or equitable to what the Reg F was getting.  In most cases Reservists were treated as "civilian employees" or "temp help"  by this policy and as a result, are categoricaly denied cost moves and are expected to relocate to their place of employment at thier own expense.  Compared to the Reg F, is that fair in the light of "Total Force"?

I can visualize some financial minion in his cellar dungeon working his spells, drafting & refining a new Regulation that will make the TAA unatainable by anyone....

I think that if that were the case, the regulation would have been drafted already to reinforce the DCBA decision from 2003.

exgunnertdo said:
Reindeer Meatloaf - are you still employed with the same organization?  I'm doing this research for my hubby (he sucks at pers admin).  He was Cl B(A), receiving TAA when the restriction came in, then did a CT in 05.  This is somewhat complicated for him!

Ys, I am.

WRT your hubby, if he was entitled to TAA prior to the DCBA decision in 2003 and his Cl B(A) TOS have not changed since, then the entitlement should be retroactive up to the date of his CT in 2005.

A little update for those people who intend to claim travel assistance.

DCBA 3 001/08
SIC WAF
SUBJ: TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE FOR RESERVE FORCE PERSONNEL
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE

REFS:  A.  CANFORGEN 168/07 CMP 073/07 161601Z NOV 07
B.  APPENDIX A TO THE TBS COMMUTING ASSISTANCE DIRECTIVE

1. FURTHER TO DIRECTION GIVEN AT REF A, TO ASSIST WITH THE
ADMINISTRATION OF TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE FOR RESERVE FORCE
PERSONNEL,
A FORM WHICH IS TO BE COMPLETED ON A MONTHLY BASIS HAS BEEN CREATED
AND CAN BE FOUND ON THE DCBA WEB SITE UNDER THE GENERAL TAB.

2.  UNITS ARE REMINDED THAT THE LOWER KILOMETRIC RATES ARE TO BE USED
IAW REF B

END OF ENGLISH TEXT

Anyone actually found the form ref'd in the previous post?  I've looked, and I don't see it on the DCBA site.

Intranet site form is here:  http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/download_e.asp?docid=161&sidesection=2&sidecat=7

Thanks!  And I swear it wasn't there when I posted my question.  Maybe some weird DWAN cache-ing thing?  I was checking the DCBA site from the link I have in my Internet Explorer Favourites.  As soon as I clicked on your link though, the link to the form was right there. 

Weird...

Aerobicrunner said:
Intranet site form is here:  http://hr3.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/download_e.asp?docid=161&sidesection=2&sidecat=7

Hmmm.  Dissimilar from the old forms in that there is no space for a fin code or approving signature(s) IAW the FAA.  Is this intended to be attached to a CF52 maybe?

Haggis said:
Hmmm.  Dissimilar from the old forms in that there is no space for a fin code or approving signature(s) IAW the FAA.  Is this intended to be attached to a CF52 maybe?
You are correct...a CF 52 must accompany the forms. 

Thought it might be useful to share the administrative instructions being undertaken by our command to claim for TAA. Some items have been omitted or changed to remove pers names and organizations.

1.            This HQ will implement CANFORGEN 168/07 in five phases:

Phase 1:  the ORs will initiate current Class B and B/A eligible pers on TAA beginning 1 Dec 07.

Phase 2:  the ORs will calculate Class B and B/A pers during the period 1 Apr 07 to 30 Nov 07.

Phase 3:  the ORs will calculate Class B and B/A pers during the period 1 Apr 06 to 31 Mar 07.

Phase 4:  the ORs will identify calculate Class B and B/A pers during the period 25 Mar 03 to 31 Mar 06.

Phase 5:  each unit to identify pers who have released and who are entitled to TAA allowance; info to be forwarded to HQ.

2.            Fin Code:  TAA will be paid by the HQ

a.            Cost Ctr –

b.            Fund:

c.            GL:

d.            GRC/IO: TBD – See Below

e.            Note: the IOs will change in FY 08/09.   MTF

3.            Phase 1 will proceed in the following manner:

a.            Class A pers - status quo;

b.            ORs will provide a listing of all eligible pers to HQ;

c.            Class B and Class B/A mbrs are to calculate distance from residence to work place by providing a printout of their distances from this internet website: http://mytelus.com/maps/   Note: use "Shortest" route directions;

d.            Class B and Class B/A pers are to submit their Request for Transportation Assistance form to their CO (through Adjt) requesting permission of TAA.  If the CO finds that transportation cannot be provided from government sources or if adequate public transportation is not aval, the mbr can be auth TAA.  A copy of the internet distance print out is required to start the file;

e.            Once the CO has auth TAA for the mbr, the signed form is to be handed in to their applicable OR;

f.             Eligible TAA mbrs will continue to fill out the Request for Transportation Assistance form for each month;

g.            ORs will conduct an audit of each request to verify leave, TD, and annuity breaks.  Eff 1 Oct 07 TAA will be calculated at the rate of 15.0: http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/cad-datq-a_e.asp; and

h.            ORs will not proceed to the next phase until all eligible personnel have been processed and confirmation is given;

4.            Phase 2:

a.            Class A pers – status quo;

b.            ORs will provide a listing of all eligible pers to HQ;

c.            ORs staff will provide their respective units a listing of all eligible pers for the FY;

d.            Eligible TAA mbrs will submit one Request for Transportation Assistance form per person per month indicating to the best of their knowledge the days the mbr has traveled to/from their work place.  ORs staff will assist by providing pers detailed info on TD, leave dates, and annuity breaks; and

e.            TAA will be calculated using the below rates:

1 Feb 12.5 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2007/02/cad-datq-a_e.asp

1 Apr 12.5 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2007/04/cad-datq-a_e.asp

1 Jul 154.0 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2007/07/cad-datq-a_e.asp

1 Oct 15.0 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/cad-datq-a_e.asp

5.            Phase 3:

a.            Same as Phase 2.

b.            TAA will be calculated using the below rate:

1 Sep 14.5 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2006/09/cad-datq-a_e.asp

6.            Phase 4:

a.            Same as Phase 2.

b.            TAA will be calculated using the below rate:

1 Jan 11.5 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2003/01/trkr-tkdvjan03_e.asp

1 Apr 11.5 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2003/04/trkr-tkdv_e.asp

1 Apr 10.5 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2004/04/trkr-tkdv_e.asp

1 Jul 12.0 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2004/07/trkr-tkdv_e.asp

1 Apr 11.5 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2005/04/trkr-tkdv_e.asp

1 Oct 16.5 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2005/10/trkr-tkdv_e.asp

5 Dec 13.0 - http://publiservice.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/archives/2005/12/cad-datq-a_e.asp

7.            Phase 5:

a.            ORs staff will assist each unit to identify pers who have released and who are entitled to TAA allowance, all efforts will be made to extract reqr info for completion of forms; and

b.            info to be forwarded to HQ. 

8.            Important Notes:

a.            ORs will not proceed to the next phase until given direction;

b.            It is mandatory to submit an internet calculation for your distances.  For HQ personnel you may have to input just postal codes IOT calculate the distance to the HQ properly;

c.            Maximum distance one-way is 200km.  http://airforce.mil.ca/AFR_RFA/AdminPolicy/Docs/DCBA3-3_001-00_TAA_b.doc;

d.            Pers requesting TAA are not entitled if they were away from their place of employment, i.e. tasks, TD, leave, annuitant leave.  Therefore, if you did not travel to the unit, you are not entitled to TAA;

e.            Pers who were moved to their place of duty, upon acceptance of Class B employment, at public expense are not entitled to TAA;

f.             Adequate public transportation' is defined as transport that:

(1) does not require the member to leave home before 0645 hrs to be at work on time; and

(2) can get the member to work within 20 minutes of their normal start time; and

(3) with a normal dismiss time, allows the member to return home before 1730 hrs; and

(4) does not require waiting at any point on the route for more than 20 minutes; and

(5) does not require the member to walk more than 1.6 km at any point on their journey to or from work; and

(6) normally has sufficient capacity at the member's regular commuting time; and

g.            This is a taxable allowance.

Good day all:

I was entitled to transport allowance then it was rescinded in 2003.  I resided approx. 96 kms from my employment and was given an allowance for about a year (2002-2003).  I have since released. How does a former reserve class B officer go about getting this allowance awarded retroactive for my travel to and from duty from rescind date to release date? It could be a nice chunk of change.

Appreciate the help.

Monty

photomontage said:
Good day all:

I was entitled to transport allowance then it was rescinded in 2003.  I resided approx. 96 kms from my employment and was given an allowance for about a year (2002-2003).  I have since released. How does a former reserve class B officer go about getting this allowance awarded retroactive for my travel to and from duty from rescind date to release date? It could be a nice chunk of change.

Appreciate the help.

Monty

While a serving officer in your situation is entitled, without a doubt, to the reinstatement of Transportation assistance, I am uncertain how "the system" will deal with your situation.  I have serious doubts that there is any provision for former members to get some cash.

Things like this happened when
reservists suddenly became eligible for a Retirement gratuity.... those who got out before it was authorized were SOL
reservists suddenly became eligible for a Pension plan.... those who got out before it was authorized were SOL - though, when it was announced but delayed an additional year, the CDS directed that all releasing reservists would be transfered to the Supplementary reserve - in order to protect their entitlement....

In this case, I don't think your entitlement was protected.... and I am not sure it should be.

geo said:
In this case, I don't think your entitlement was protected.... and I am not sure it should be.

...and I would argue that if they retro something than, yes, by all means he/she should be entitled. The usual reason they retro something is because "someone" has realized it should have been paid from a certain time onwards.
I fail to see how what a person does now should influence what 'someone' had decided those serving in that time period should have had.

Friends:
I doubt very much that the 2003 cancellation would be reinstated if someone hadn't filed a grievance.  The questions that arise WRT retroactive claims for ex-mil pers claiming the transportation allowance: DND must first answer the question as to why I would not be entitled while employed. in fact,
I was entitled, was given it for a year and a half, lost it via CBI, then it was reinstated and it is retroactive according to the latest order and the rescind of the 2003 CBI.
I think that I am entitled to a retroactive award of every penny of transport allowance that I was entitled to while so employed.
This is smelling like a grievable issue to me. The 96 kms at 13-15 cents a km x 220 days over three years equates to $13+ a trip x 2 per day.
That, my friends is a chunk of change worth fighting for.

photomontage said:
I think that I am entitled to a retroactive award of every penny of transport allowance that I was entitled to while so employed.
This is smelling like a grievable issue to me. The 96 kms at 13-15 cents a km x 220 days over three years equates to $13+ a trip x 2 per day.

I'm seeing a lot of X2 per days. I'm sure that the CANFORGEN specificly states one way, not both.

Edited to insert:

And, with a re-read I see where I came up with the one way part. Must be a distance greater than 16km one way apparently. My bad.

I'm also interpreting it as the kms above the first 16km are re-imburseable, and that those first 16km would be at your own expense just as they are for pers who live within that 16km radius.

Geo ... dude ... I don't get any housing allowance -- and they still don't pay my transportation costs.

For those who intend to grieve when their PLD disappears or shrinks -- don't bother, that's already covered too because there's a whole lot of us RegF people who don't get PLD or TAA, nor do we have ANY form of public transport available. There ain't no busses/subways etc in this location.

photomontage said:
I doubt very much that the 2003 cancellation would be reinstated if someone hadn't filed a grievance.
FYI I am one who grieved it.

The questions that arise WRT retroactive claims for ex-mil pers claiming the transportation allowance: DND must first answer the question as to why I would not be entitled while employed. in fact,
I was entitled, was given it for a year and a half, lost it via CBI, then it was reinstated and it is retroactive according to the latest order and the rescind of the 2003 CBI.
You will likely have to prove each day of entitilement from the date of cancellation to the date of release, subtracting weekends, TD, leave and sick days.

To start the ball rolling, as NFLD Sapper said, talk to your last/closest Reserve OR.

I'm seeing a lot of X2 per days. I'm sure that the CANFORGEN specificly states one way, not both.
Vern, you can claim both ways (round trip).  The first 16 km of each leg are deducutble so if you commute 100 km round trip daily, you only claim
68 km/day at low rate.  Distance is also calculated by the shortest, most direct route which may or may not be the one you prefer, time wise. (and may not pass a Timmies).

Haggis said:
Vern, you can claim both ways (round trip).  The first 16 km of each leg are deducutble so if you commute 100 km round trip daily, you only claim
68 km/day at low rate.  Distance is also calculated by the shortest, most direct route which may or may not be the one you prefer, time wise. (and may not pass a Timmies).

Yep, I edited my post down below as you typed this up.  :-*

Heh.... and I live exactly 17 Km from the Base......  :(
Oh well - didn't get it before, and I don't get it now - no reason I should get it in the future I guess

geo said:
Heh.... and I live exactly 17 Km from the Base......  :(
Oh well - didn't get it before, and I don't get it now - no reason I should get it in the future I guess

No worries Geo, I cast a magic spell on the drafter of the CANFORGEN -- just to ensure that the mileage area given by them, was one less than you!!  >:D

So far, one person has a "cheque in the mail", which I suppose is better than the other option.  Has anyone actually received any coin.  My boss is waiting for the dam to burst before authorizing my lowly $4800 claim.

I believe the original intent behind the allowance was to compensate Reservists for the vast distances most travel since the Militia is largely a rural phenomenon.  We aren't moved at Government expense to bases, we don't get IR, we don't get PLD (yeah I know it's being taken away, but it probably should never have existed to begin with, I hear that a new benefit is in the works as a blanket replacement for the Regs).

The allowance has always been available for Class A types, I've been claiming it since I've been entitled.  The reinstatement for Class Bs was, in my opinion, done to benefit a thousand or so double-dippers that have meandered over to DND in the NCR over the past few years. I can't blame them since they no longer get PLD in there new Class B jobs.

But still, has anyone actually received a cheque?

Back