• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NEW CANFORGEN - TPT ASST RES FORCE PERS ON CL A AND B RES SVC

Aerobicrunner

Reaction score
CANFORGEN 168/07 CMP 073/07 161601Z NOV 07

TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE FOR RESERVE FORCE PERSONNEL ON CLASS A AND B RESERVE SERVICE

REFS: A. DCBA 3-4 02/03 251611Z MAR 03 (located further below)
B. CDS DECISION LETTER 27 JUN 05
C. CBI 209.045 (loated further below)

REF A IS RESCINDED EFFECTIVE 25 MAR 03 IAW DIRECTION GIVEN AT REF B

ALL CLASS A AND B RES F PERSONNEL WHO ARE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE TRANSPORATION ASSISTANCE IAW REF C WILL CONTINUE TO BE ENTITLED TO THE BENEFIT UNTIL A NEW POLICY IS PROMULGATED. RETROACTIVE CLAIMS MAY BE SUBMITTED FOR EMPLOYMENT PDS WHERE RECEIPT OF THE BENEFIT WAS RESTRICTED BY REF A

QUESTIONS CONCERNING THIS MSG MAY BE DIRECTED TO DCBA 3-4, R.G. LEE THROUGH C OF C

THE CBI:

209.045 - TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE FOR RESERVE FORCE PERSONNEL ON CLASS "A" AND "B" RESERVE SERVICE
(1) (Definitions) The definitions in this paragraph apply in this instruction.
"adequate public transportation" means public transportation that is scheduled at appropriate times to permit officers or non-commissioned members to work their allotted schedule and return to their residence within a reasonable time after work and that has the capacity to carry the work force. (transports publics suffisants)
"worksite" means a building or other place where an officer or non-commissioned member reports for training or duty. (lieu de travail)
(2) (Travel allowance) An officer or non-commissioned member of the Reserve Force on Class "A" or "B" Reserve Service who performs training or duty may be paid an allowance based on distance traveled, if
(a) the member has not been moved to their place of training or duty at public expense; and
(b) the member lives a minimum of 16 kilometres from their place of training or duty; and
(c) transportation cannot be provided from Government sources, or adequate public transportation is not available.
(3) (Rate of allowance) If an allowance based on distance travelled is authorized, an officer or non-commissioned member is entitled, for each trip between the Reserve Service worksite and the member's residence, to an allowance based on distance travelled at the rate established under paragraph (3) of CBI 209.25 (Use of Private Motor Car, Motorcycle or Airplane for Temporary Duty Travel) as though the member had travelled by private motor car, for the direct road distance in excess of 16 kilometres, one way.

(effective 27 February 2003) Amendment 2

THE POLICY THAT WAS RESCINDED:

Unclassified "7209-013 (DCBA)"
"NDHQ OTTAWA//DCBA//"
"AIG 1764//ADMIN/COMPT//
AIG 1840//ADMIN/COMPT//
AIG 1876//ADMIN/COMPT//
AIG 13535//ADMIN/COMPT//
INFO 1 CAD HQ WINNIPEG
CFRETS HQ BORDEN//G1//
LFDTS HQ KINGSTON//G1//
MARLANTHQ HALIFAX
MARPACHQ ESQUIMALT
LFCA TORONTO//COMPT/G1 SVCS//
LFWA EDMONTON//COMPT/G1/COMP AND BENEFITS//
LFAAHQ HALIFAX//COMPT/G1 SVCS//
QG SQFT MONTREAL//COMPT/G1 SOU//"
"RHQ AFSOUTH CALO NAPLES IT"
DCBA 3-4 02/03 251611 Mar 03
SUBJ:TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE TO WORK PLACE FOR CLASS B RESERVISTS
REFS:A. CBI 209.045
B. TB TRAVEL DIRECTIVE EFFECTIVE 1 OCT 02
C. TB TRAVEL DIRECTION EFFECTIVE 1993
D. CCRA REGULATIONS
1. THE INTRODUCTION OF THE NEW TREASURY BOARD REGS HAS GENERATED A REVIEW OF ALL POLICIES RELATED TO TRAVEL. WITH A VIEW TO HARMONIZE DND TRAVEL BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION WITH THE REST OF THE PUBLIC SERVICE REF A WAS ANALYZED IAW THE DIRECTION AT REFS B,C AND D
2. AS A GENERAL RULE, ALL EMPLOYEES INCLUDING CF MEMBERS ARE EXPECTED TO PRESENT THEMSELVES TO THEIR WORKPLACE ON THEIR OWN TIME AND AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE. THIS IS CORROBORATED BY CCRA POLICY WHICH DENIES A SPECIFIC DEDUCTION FOR SUCH TN RELATED EXPENSES AND INCORPORATES THEM INTO THE PERSONAL DEDUCTION LIMIT ON THE INCOME TAX FORM
3. ACCORDINGLY, EFFECTIVE 1 MAY 03 MBRS ON CLASS B SVC FOR 30 OR MORE DAYS ARE NO LONGER ENTITLED TO TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE. HOWEVER MBRS PERFORMING CLASS B SVC AT LOCATIONS OTHER THAN THEIR HOME UNITS AND WHO VOLUNTARILY CONTINUE TO SERVE WITH THEIR HOME UNITS (EVENINGS) MAY STILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR TRANSPORTATION ASSISTANCE UNDER THE PARAMETERS OF REF A AT THE DISCRETION OF THE CO
4. CLASS C MBRS ARE NOT ENTITLED TO RTA IAW REF A

If you served on class B from March 2003 onwards and were not permitted to claim TAA for your class B employment you are eligible to claim it retroactively.  That's the upshot of the CANFORGEN.

well... this is "big"

Currently have several grievances for people who were given the long slow screw......
declined TA, were offered Q & told they could claim TD.... only to have TD declined at the end AND being told that they had waived their rights by accepting Qs

Been waiting for this change ...

This is nice. Will be retro claiming all of my TD for when I was Class B...

Would that include B(A)'s as I remember very clearly being lectured about how TAA was not for full time P Res regardless... I even saved that little snit gram.

TM

turretmonster said:
Would that include B(A)'s as I remember very clearly being lectured about how TAA was not for full time P Res regardless... I even saved that little snit gram.

Yes it does.  I have an e-mail; from DCBA stating exactly this as I had greived this last fall.  FYI it's almost a year to the day that I submitted my first memo regarding being illegitimately denied TAA.

Happy Haggis is gonna have a wee bit o' dram to celebrate... right after I get my retro cheque.

Haggis, great news for you!!  A good bottle of 18 yr Highland Park is in order.

How meaaany wee pennnies per km after 16 is the rate at now and are the back claims based on old low rate or whatever the new rate is??? 

Many thanks

TM

The rates paid will be those in force at the time. - I'd suggest looking at the Treasury Board website for historical rates - http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpubs/TBM_113/cad-datq-menu_e.asp

turretmonster said:
How meaaany wee pennnies per km after 16 is the rate at now and are the back claims based on old low rate or whatever the new rate is??? 

dapaterson is right: the member is required to do the math for each period in which retro TAA is being claimed as the rates are adjusted semi-annually to annually.

Rates as of 01 Oct 07 can be found here

The total entitlement will be calculated by multiplying the the days you are claiming X eligible kilometers per day X kilometric rate in effect on the date of the journey.

It gets better.  If, by virtue of this CANFORGEN, you are entitled to retro TAA, you will also be entitled to continue to receive TAA until the end of your current Class B contract.

Employing units that had not factored this entitlement into thier Class B budgets will have some mathematical legerdemain to do.

The possible downside to this is that employing units may further restrict future employment opportunities to local applicants within 16 km of the workplace in order to save money.

Haggis said:
The possible downside to this is that employing units may further restrict future employment opportunities to local applicants within 16 km of the workplace in order to save money.

Like everything else, theres always a down side...careful what you wish for

CDN Aviator said:
Like everything else, theres always a down side...careful what you wish for

True but, in the NCR at least, the avalaible pool of Reservists to work Class B is very, very shallow right now.  There are positions posted every two weeks that are reposted again and again as they are chronically "no-filled". Units have little choice than to pay for out-of-towners if they want to hire Reservists.

Can anyone PM a link to ref B?
Ack to low gene pool here as well Haggis.
Thanks
TM

Ref B I believe was a response to a redress.  I'd suggest looking at the Grievance Authority web page for any related grievances.

Sadly, I was brought to the NCR in 2000 via Cost Move, so it looks like it doesn't help me.....

Plus - it would be interesting to see what is defined as adequate public transportation....I live approximately 24 Km out from NDMC. There's a bus use potential for me - if I want to transfer a few times and take about 45 - 60 min each way.

I think I'll be saving my anger for the grievances when they kill PLD in Ottawa in the near future...

Staff Weenie said:
....I live approximately 24 Km out from NDMC. There's a bus use potential for me - if I want to transfer a few times and take about 45 - 60 min each way.

You could claim 16 km/day at low rate.  About $48/month.  Enough for monthly beer and pizza.

Someone asked me the following question and I think the answer is just the driver, but I don't get travel assistance so I'm no expert on it...If more than one member travels on Class A more than 16 km to their reserve unit (ie: carpools) do they all claim TD it or just the driver?

From a discussion with one of our fin types, this will benefit people on class B who are on callout more than 30 days.
Back in 2003 there was a policy decision to the effect that you could not receive Travel assistance beyond 30 days,...

People on class A weren't affected - they are not affected by this decision.

Back