• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Shermans with some kind of stretched trunnion for mounting an improved gun?

Not sure what the other vehicles are, but I see what appears to be a Mortar tube sticking out of vehicle # 2141, and the vehicle behind the 2nd sherman appears to have a radar, so a fire-finder support vehicle for a mobile mortar battery?

Ok, back to the Sherman.

M-50?  Same High Vel 75mm gun from the French AMX-13 tank?

http://www.mheaust.com.au/IDF/Gallery/M4/MVC-006S.JPG

Nope.

Got it.

M-60 (HVMS)

M-60 is an Israeli modification of the M-50 and M-51 variant of the Sherman main battle tanks. In this version, the French gun is replaced by a 60mm HVMS gun, for use as a heavy support vehicle, and the engine is replaced with a variant of the same engine used in the Stingray tank. 
Israeli HVMS (Hyper Velocity Medium Suppor) 60mm gun (as on M113 HVMS APC) was fitted in Sherman tanks that Israeli supplied to Chilean army. The HVMS gun was a small 60mm gun that provided high velocity kinetic energy projectiles to penetrate unheard of amounts of armour at considerable ranges.

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/sherman/M-60.html

hvms_2.jpg

The other vehicles are Piranas?

I stand by my assessment on them, Mortar Vehicle, and C3 or Counter-battery radar vehicle?

NS

NavyShooter- that is correct.

It is pretty amazing that the Sherman has survived for so long. In the link that you provided to Isaeli-weapons.com, there are several dozen Shermans in 1 picture with very long barrelled guns. Are those Super Shermans with 105's, or are they very long barrelled 75mm's? 

Yes she is a venerable piece of kit. The ones with the long barrel and muzzle brake are the "Super Shermans" or also known as the "Isherman"

Japanese Type 74 APC....and if I get it right I have no Idea what to post but I'll find something....

Mud said:
Japanese Type 74 APC....and if I get it right I have no Idea what to post but I'll find something....

It´s a Type 73 (in this case with added swim kit), but okay. Your turn.

Regards,
ironduke57

Haha, the L for learner plate on the front is gold. I could be very much mistaken here but i think its Australian. I've seen something very similiar in the tank museum at Pucka. Then again, i've been wrong before and i'll be wrong again i'm sure!

Now there's a bit of detail I did'nt notice, but no, it's not Aussie.....

You learn something everyday, that RAAC museum looks very good, I'll have to bookmark it for any future travel down under.

Heh.... boatshaped.... South african
Looks like an early version of the Casspir.

Back