• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Light Multirole Vehicle "Panther"
----------------------------------------------------
A shame that the Marder2 hasn´t gone in production.
I couldn´t find a english source for information about it on the fast.
Pix:
- http://www.fortunecity.de/wolkenkratzer/firelli/95/marder2.htm
- http://www.panzerbaer.de/types/bw_spz_marder_2-a.htm
Text:
- http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marder_2 (For people who can read german.)

Regards,
ironduke57

Correct,

Slammed in the British media as being a battlefied limo for officers while troops are going without body armour...

The Centaur

This Landrover was half Stage1 and half light tank. The front end was all Solihull's finest but the rear was a shortened version of the Scorpion light tank tracked bogie. The resulting half-track had a very high payload and formidable offroad potential but didn't attract military orders, so the project was stopped in 1980 after one more prototype had been built with 110 front end.

6 prototypes of this superb vehicles were built. On the first 2, P1 and P2 work begun on October 1978, the other 4 at about one month intervals. P1 to P3 were right hand drive, the other 3 left hand drive. P1 and P4 were 12 Volts, the other combined 12/24 Volts. All were initially designed as softtops.

They suffered many problems even being straight from the standard line for most parts. The repeatedly suffered power losses, front prop shaft faillures and burnt clutches were reported. Front axle half shafts failed often but could be traced back to a faulty design. Steering on road at very high speeds was superb. In slow goin and offroad the vehicle is horribly directionless which is quite obvious as the tracks do not help in steering. The tracks have no return rollers, so at any speed they hit the bottom of body. The noise is deafening, LR measured 108 decibels! Also the vibrations are very annoying, causing the rear differential mounting to crack. Most of these problems would have been solveable but the British army could not decide on placing a large order. Meanwhile the airlifted units and rapid ground forces gained importance and no other army wanted to take the sirk of buying them first.

Centaur_P1.jpg

P5, completed in late summer 79' was mainly used as demonstrator. It was seen on exercise in Germany and was trialled with an anti-personnel mine discharger. In spring of 1980 it got a 20mm cannon fitted on a cargo bed. Later is was flown to the Persian Gulf for more demonstartions. Today it belongs to the Tank Museum in Bovington. This the one shown in the picture above (Billings 1998)

Centaur.jpg

If I'm right, then is it my turn?

tank.jpg

Probably waay easy for you gurus....but obscure enough for me.

NS

Yes you are right it is the Laird Centaur and so you where next.

I give someone else a chance to get your new one first.

Regards,
ironduke57

I'll bite, the Light tank M22 Locust....
Took me awhile but it was fun nailing it down!

ME

@FEEOP042 It´s the Pionierpanzer 3 (KODIAK , PiPz 3, in swiss "Geniepanzer 3") from Rheinmetall.
@Nfld Sapper Ulan/Pizarro/ASCOD

Regards,
ironduke57

ironduke57 said:
@FEEOP042 It´s the Pionierpanzer 3 (KODIAK , PiPz 3, in swiss "Geniepanzer 3") from Rheinmetall.
@Nfld Sapper Ulan/Pizarro/ASCOD

Regards,
ironduke57

Correct

Back