• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Must Have Kit, Canadian Style

I just found the sweetest 3-season camping pad ever!

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=365153&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=832995

It's the same length/width of the issue green self-inflating pad, but it weighs half as much (half the size as well...it folds up a little larger then a 1L Nalgene bottle) and its twice as thick. It's also lined with Primaloft insulation, supposedly good to about -9 degrees C. Super super comfy...anyone with lower back problems will love this thing.

I'm leaving in a week or so for a weeklong loop around Kejimkujik National Park...I'll post back with some info on how well it held up.

:dontpanic:

Hi all:
Who sells this stealth suit that you guys rave so much about? I have no need for it but I'm curious as I'd like to vist the company's website and read about this fantastic jacket ;)

xavier

Stealth suits are available at both the RCR and PPCLI kitshops.  As to who actually manufactures them, I have no clue.

peerless garments out of Winnipeg,Manitoba is the manufacturer,but you wont find any info about them on their website.Not really much to tell about them though.They are a single ply gore-tex shell,with a zipper and a button up storm flap,a integral hood,a drawstring at the bottom and Velcro at the cuff.It is a dull golden color and has the texture of a nylon jacket.
If you want,,maybe some one or myself could post a picture.
As well as the above mentioned kitshops,Supply Sargent in the West Ed mall sells them for about the same price.They also give a discount to military pers on everything except knives.

Question on the Stealth suits... I understand the concept that it is single ply, and therefore meant to be worn under an outer layer, but what about the hood?  Would it not face greater wear/tear being single ply and more exposed?

Just some things that I find good to carry, on a normal course.....or training day, please post yours

THIS IS FOR SUMMER BTW

The List
=====

Ruck Sack*
Tac Vest/Webbing*
Field Message Pad
Helmet
Kevlar Vest
Hydration Pack

Ruck List:
Shaving Kit*
Shine Kit*
Valise*

Towel
2nd Pair Boots
Basin
Field Cap
Jacket
1 x Cad Pat Uniform Set
Fleece Top
Rain Pants
Scarf (face cover)
Ballistic Goggles
Bungie Cords/20' Rope (1/4" thick)
Thermo Rest
Gortex Socks
2x socks
2x T-shirts
2x underwear
Thermal Underwear

Valise
Sleeping Bag & Liner
Ground Sheet
Bivi Bag
Shelter Half (suggested but not req'd yet)

Shine Kit
Polish
Applicator Brush
Shine Brush

Shaving Kit
Toothbrush & Paste
Razor
Shaving Cream
Comb/Brush
Floss
Pit Stick
Soap
Shampoo

Tac Vest
Rain Jacket
Canteen
Cleaning Kit
Face Cam
C7 Mags
Smoke
Nades'
FB's
Bayonet
Sunscreen
Bug Juice
Canteen & Cup
Flashlight (90 and mag light)
Shell Dressing
Gloves
Candle
Matches (waterproof)
Foot Powder
Gas Mask(NBCD gear)
Gerber

Is this a duplicate of a course kit list? I noticed it's all issued kit and has a lot of things on it that no one actually carries.

What I took to the field on my last ex

FFO
Helmet
boonie hat
Tac Vest:
5x Magazines (loaded)
8x 5.56 clips
2x 200 rounds linked 5.56
Cam paint
field dressing
cleaning supplies for rifle(swabs, q-tips, etc)
shemagh
nomax flight gloves
FMP
3L Camelbak Thermobak
flashlight
chemlight

Marching Order
'82 pat rucksack w/ '64 pat frame
1x CADPAT TW Cam Screen
1x CADPAT Uniform
2x underwear
2x socks
2x t-shirts
1x fleece shirt
1x Goretex Stealth Suit Jacket
shaving kit
more cleaning stuff for my rifle
paracord
zap-straps
canteen w/ canteen cup(I shave out of it, an leave the wash basin in my locker)
Valaise:
sleeping bag
bivy bag
poncholiner

I also recently purchased a TT 3-Day assualt pack, an that be part of my FFO from now on.

BKells said:
Is this a duplicate of a course kit list? I noticed it's all issued kit and has a lot of things on it that no one actually carries.

man, you don't need unissued stuff really...unless it's the wash basin...cause issued ones blow. But everyone I know pretty much carries that much..

Not really a piece of kit; but it makes the Tac Vest a little more manageable...

Velcro Patches (soft side) for disabling velcro on Mag Pouches, Grenade Pouches...e.t.c.

I find it much easier (and quieter) to change mags now that I've done this (and it's not permanent, so you can't get in sh#t.)

did you know...that removing the liner to the beret is consider modifications!!

McGowan said:
did you know...that removing the liner to the beret is consider modifications!!

Everybody knows that tampering with the Queen's property is a chargeable offence.

So I'm just borrowing the beret when I buy it from clothing stores?
What, the money I pay is like a damage deposit, thats why I never get it back?
I can't take out the liner to make a beret fit, but I can get my DEU tailored?

Quick!  Someone produce a list of the Queen's property that you can tamper with!

AmmoTech90 said:
Quick!   Someone produce a list of the Queen's property that you can tamper with!

Well, you're not supposed to polish your combat boots, silicone only! Remember to keep a copy of the instructions tag that comes with the boots for when your Sergeant Major tries to tell you other wise ;)

McGowan said:
Valise
Sleeping Bag & Liner
Ground Sheet
Bivi Bag
Shelter Half (suggested but not req'd yet)

I dont know about you but ground sheet and shelter half were the same thing in the army i grew up in.........Thats why theres a zipper on the ground sheet.......you zip it to another one to make a shelter ..............thus a shelter.....half !!

Natoboy not to be an asshole but why do you need to change mags quietly?? If you have the need to change mags then generally you have just expended a mag??

Good point... I think once you have to change mags, noise control would be a far secondary concern to more immediate problems.  Unless you are a CP wog, and you are using your mag pouch as a Snickers container...  ;D

I am shocked and and appalled to see that other than a one word reference to rum, no one has yet mentioned a hip flask. Some of you youngsters take note: Every once in blue moon, a little splash of Crown Royal goes a long way, whether it's a morale booster toasting someone's birthday in the middle of the pouring rain halfway through a ftx, or fortifying a cup of coffee after coming in from a long cold spell in a LP. (Not an endorsement of getting loaded on ex or while on duty. If you don't know the diff, don't even start! Many's the time my flask hasn't even seen the light of day.)

Of course, being in a highland unit, it's expected that we're gonna get half cut somewhere along the way...

Back