• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Must Have Kit, Canadian Style

The folding stools are an exellent investment.I had one made about 7 yrs ago fo 20 bucks.It's made out of steel tubular with a canvas seat.Folds up and fits perfect on the outside of the ruck attached by the ski/snowshoe straps and the reducing straps on the top.A bit heavy,but the damn thing was run over by a Gun tractor and still works like the day I got it.

The general rule w/ anything extra:

if you bring it, you hafta hump it.  pack accordingly.

:

Garrison:

Leather White Drill Gloves:   $25.   I would go awol before wearing the shitty mickey mouse cloth ones again.  

A buddy gave me some gloves he gets from a funeral home they're pallbearer gloves with little rubber stipples on the palms ,never loose a grip on your rifle.

Mike_R23A said:
Don't you mean recce?? lol sorry I couldn't resist...

Well at the time we were "Armoured" Recce....but I've done it all.  Iltis Recce, Armoured Recce and Armoured....when you have the carring case, why not use it.

J-Swift...if you don't mind a couple of extra pounds ( on the heavy side) than a small camping chair is priceless on a lengthy ex.

My "camp" chair consists of something that you fold your thermarest in.  Of course, the one I have is not really subdued in colour, but it rolls up nicely with the mattress.

I also have a little kitchen kit which carries a spice kit, creamer, sugar, teabags, and instant coffee, for those times when the CP coffee gets a little old.

As for pillows, the light and heavyweight gortex parkas fold nicely into themselves and zipper up into a great pillow.

Strike, that was a good one to mention.

I was on an ex once with the Strathcona's and the driver for the Troop Leader had two ammo boxes that he had in the Lynx (last ex I believe they were ever used on).   In one he had spare IMP items that he did not use from previous meals, and the other was all sauces, spices, etc to jazz the meal up.   Again Swin435 brings up a point, great if you can carry it, but even the foot soldier could whip something together to suit their needs.

Must Have Kit List (mind you I'm outdated by years, so I'm adding items I didn't have at the time)

1.   GOOD boots
2.   Goretex socks
3.   Quality socks with either polypro liners (winter) or coolmax (summer)
4.   Flashlight, preferably Surefire
5.   Back up LED light.   I wear one for my current business on my jacket
6.   Camelbak
7.   Ranger blanket
8.   A good knife.   I carried a Cold Steel SRK, and a Leatherman
9.   Either a shemag or the old issue scarf.   Huge, and good in the summer too for a dust rag or towel.
10.   Fleece toque, even in summer.   It's so small you don't even notice it, and invaluable when you need it.

Any other lists of essentials, or things to add?

One more thing -- I can't believe no one has mentioned it.

Baby wipes or those disposable face cloths with the soap already in them.  Nothing worse that having to wash your face with a damp, moldy face cloth.

Strike, check page 2.  Baby wipes is there.  Good for removing cam paint...

Blackhorse7 said:
Strike, check page 2.   Baby wipes is there.   Good for removing cam paint...

They are not good for removing Cam Paint,

They are AMAZING at removing it!  About the only thing ive found that effortlessly removes it from your face.... just takes it right off! as opposed to scrubbing your face raw with soap and a wash cloth......

other good kit to have in the feild.. Chapstick. always nice in the cold weather, I try to make sure ive always got some.
and yes. a good pair of gloves cant be stated enough. regardless of trade, theyre good to have.

All the extra kit I ever carried is somewhere in another post in this thread.

Except for extra rifle cleaning kit:
-Pull through rope type, works way better than the rods
-Dentist tools.
-Q-tips

Weight nothing and saves me tons of time.

This may be a no brainer, but I have more ziplock bags and bungee cords with me that you think that I am going to start a water baloon war with indirect fire.

The only civvy kit that I carry is a good pair of thinsulat sock from MEC and 3 or 4 powerbars for the middle of a foot patrol.  Nothing beats that energy boost when you need a blast to get back to the hide.

Granted, I am on the wet coast and if it ain't raining, it ain't training, and we do nothing but train.

Head,
foam padding system, new balaclava, and COMBAT SCARF, im surprised noone has mentioned it yet.

Body
ICE kit is nice

Feet,
black Champion sport socks with thoose green outers.  Jungle boots when I can get away with it, or MK 3's with gortex socks

Snivel
fleece bag with a zipper that fits the combat jacket perfecly for a piilow, biv bag with a "prop rod" and a clip for the rain jacket makes for a nice 1 person tent. fleece sleeping bag liner.

Misc
Camel back woodland pattern,cargo straps for my valise, 82 pattern webbing belt in the 82 pattern ruck  :mad:  , some old black bauer knee pads.  neoprene bushline gloves

Does anyone know where I can find a 64 pattern bag in decent condition?  Ive got the  frame, but my bag is see through (hold your comments) and im not confident in putting any more than 5lbs in there.

FMP #1 (from CP Gear)
Field Pillow, (CP Gear)
Zippered Tri-fold Wallet (CP Gear)
The new IECS Fleece Top & Bottom

I've said it elsewhere, I'll say it here:  without question, the coolest piece of sniv kit I ever owned was a Hennessey Hammock.  At around $200 US, a tad steep, but its a bed, bivvy, tent, even a chair, all in one. Fan-diddly-dam-tastic piece of kit.

CHIMO,  Kat

Kat Stevens said:
I've said it elsewhere, I'll say it here:   without question, the coolest piece of sniv kit I ever owned was a Hennessey Hammock.   At around $200 US, a tad steep, but its a bed, bivvy, tent, even a chair, all in one. Fan-diddly-dam-tastic piece of kit.

CHIMO,   Kat

Hows it turn into a chair?

No wonder the aircrew can never get gloves at supply.  You guys steal them all!  :rage:

Lucked out yesterday in the West Ed and now I am the proud owner of a brand new Stealth Suit.A bit pricey,but worth ten times that in the long run.

Back