• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Must Have Kit, Canadian Style

gun plumber

Inactive
Reaction score
KIT                                                                                            

1.BOOTS-Danner Acadias                                          

2.SOCKS-Newly issued grey wool sock                          

3.MULTI-TOOL-Leatherman Charge Xti

4.KNIFE-CRKT M-13-13Z                                                  

5.UPPER BODY-Alpha liner                                    
                     -New long underwear                      

6.GLOVES-CWW gloves                                                    
              -Issued CF Piliot gloves                                        

7.NECK\HEAD -Polar fleece touque
                    -New style Balaclava

8.OTHER-CADPAT rigger's belt                                  
            -CADPAT IPE bag                                          
            -CamelBak Mule in OD                                                                                                        
            -Patrol Sling                                                                        
            -64 pattern ruck frame
            -Polar fleece Bivy liner
            -Shemagh

Sungpak:
    'Sleeka' jacket (spelling?)
    thier Merlin 3 sleeping bag, great bag for most of the year in mild areas / times, I've used mine down into the mid teens F and stayed warm without any additional clothing. 
    Granted I sleep warm and this is below thier comfort rated level.  Compresses down smaller then a soccer ball or even a tad larger then a softball.

Buffalo Cothing Systems:
    Windshirt (single layer Pertex shirt) (compresses smaller then a wallet, and windproof up to around 50 mph, I highly recommend them)
    Special 6 Double P shirt (pertex 6 outer / fleece plie liner) ( I prefer these over my Gore Windstopper Fleece)

I just picked up a new Intergral Designs North Twin Sleeping bag a few weeks back, looking forward to heading up past 5000 feet next week to give it a try.
hummm this bag is olive green, I wonder who they made these for?  ;D  I do have a unusal supply channel 

Damn nicer then the old Mountain Bag the Corps issued us.  Nice to see those have been phased out years back. I've looked at the new US issue two-bag / gore tex bivy but never slept in one but they look nice.  But the Merlin out preforms the smaller US issue partol bag in my opinion from the specs I've seen on the US one.

that long side zip on the US goretex bivys, don't that thing leak?
Canadian goretex bivys are zipper-less, what do you Canadaians think?

I do agree about Danners, I've been sold on them for years.

I have a Eagle Mule I use to carry water, etc.  I like that unit, works for me, but I also have a plain-jane camleback as well

did someone say Gear Slut? I confess, but one collects a lot of stuff over the years when you get my age  :(

I need to have a yard sell.....

Gear Slut...present!
the issued bivys are a bang on piece of kit.I remember getting mine first issued in 95 and on purpose slept in a puddle to try it out!The zipperless design is good because the bag is oversize both in length and width to accomadate personal kit but I would have liked to see a half zipper to aid in getting out in a hurry as opposed to the hot dog in a condom feel that sometimes happens!
Arte et Marte

Boots
- Fall and spring: FT-Lewis Danners. Pricey, but they are the cadillac of combat boots
- Summer: Jungle boots

US Poncho Liner
Lightweight, warm, and comfortable. I've dragged this thing all over the place, and I still use it at home on cold nights  ;D

Gloves
Flight/crewman gloves. Issue or not, I like them all

Knife
I just picked up a CRKT Crawford/Kasper folder with a 4" blade and an OD handle that I'm growing quite fond of

Multitool
Leatherman

Boots
Jungle Boots

Socks
USGI Socks
polypro sock liners

Gloves
OD Nomax Flight Gloves

Other
OD 3L Camelbak
Shemagh
Operational Sling
OD ALICE Pack - small
'64 Pattern Frame.

It's always good to see what other gear junkies take.Hopefully this will be a eye opener to any new troops with question as to what works and what does'nt now that the cold weather is upon us!

This thread could go on and on and on and on... ::)

Since nobody's mentioned it yet, I'll spout off a couple about Desert Kit:

Canvas Water Bag.  Essential!  Drinking hot water sucks!

Shemagh.  Essential!  Sandstorms suck!  Furnace-hot winds suck!

Pappy, funny you mention the Modular Sleep System.  I love how that thing can be snapped together.  Also, I've never had any problems with the zipper leaking, but you've got to ensure that the bivi bag is right side up so that the flap covers the zipper.  I suppose that a urethane coated zipper would probably be a better choice for water-resistance than the one they've got.

The only complaint about the MSS really is it's weight and bulk.  However it's a lot better than the "green slug" it replaced.

Sungpak:
    'Sleeka' jacket (spelling?)

Pappy... I picked one of these up in Bosnai and no doubt the BEST piece of snivel kit I own. I thought it was so good I got a sleeping bag too. Does anyone know a link to buy snugpak kit?

My favorite peice of kit is my bivy bag.

I would not trade it in for anything.

If we're talking non-issued gear:

#1 (by far) = Stealth Suit.  Nothing further need be said about the value and utility.  If you work in the field and buy only one item of after-market gear, then this is where your $250 is best spent.  At least until such time as the Army actually issues a proper Goretex wind/rain shell.  And even then......

#2 = Survival Aids (or equivalent) Hooped Bivvy Bag.  Works as a conventional bivvy at 1/2 the weight and bulk of the issued bag.  If you have 5 extra minutes, use the shock-corded aluminum hoops and stakes to set it up as a free-standing one-man tunnel tent and sleep in field luxury with the bag suspended away from your body.  Mine has a built-in vestibule and bug-net 

#3 = 64 Pattern ruck with custom Rigger-made main bag, full-wrap-around A7A straps, 82 Pattern yoke/shoulder straps, U.S. ALICE (or after-market) hip belt, and various other "bells and whistles" 

#4 = MSR Whisperlite "Internationale" multi-fuel stove

#5 = DropZone CADPAT Recce Smock, the absolute Cadillac of practical field jackets

#6 = DropZone/Wiggy's Sleeping Bag system

#7 = Fleece Toque (no more "toque-head", fits under the helmet)

#8 = US Field Coat Liner (same construction as poncho liner - warm, lightweight and compact)

#9 = Polar Fleece Sleeping Bag Liner - any brand, as long as it is long enough with a sturdy zipper

I'm sure that if I were to persue my kit I would identify plenty of other "lesser" non-issue items that I take for granted on a daily basis.  My Petzl LED Headlamp and Spyderco Delica folding knife leap immediately to mind.  However, the above list represents my personal assessment of the most value and practical utility for the money based on my 24 years of infantry service.  You individual results will no doubt vary.  I won't get into the merits of Jungle Boots, Desert Boots, Pilot Gloves, the IECS/ICE Long Underwear, the IECS/ICE Sock System, Poncho Liners, Camelbacks, etc, since those items were all issued to me.  Suffice it to say that we get issed a lot of good kit these days.  My "tried and tested" non-issued items simply compensate for specific deficiencies that I have identified with the issued gear.  Could I perform without them?  Undoubtedly.  Do they increase my soldiering efficiency by making my life easier/more comfortable in the field?  Absolutely, so enough said right there.

#2 = Survival Aids (or equivalent) Hooped Bivvy Bag.  Works as a conventional bivvy at 1/2 the weight and bulk of the issued bag.  If you have 5 extra minutes, use the shock-corded aluminum hoops and stakes to set it up as a free-standing one-man tunnel tent and sleep in field luxury with the bag suspended away from your body.  Mine has a built-in vestibule and bug-net 

Mark, where do you get this from? How much? Any links to follows.

Thanks

#1 (by far) = Stealth Suit.  Nothing further need be said about the value and utility.  If you work in the field and buy only one item of after-market gear, then this is where your $250 is best spent.  At least until such time as the Army actually issues a proper Goretex wind/rain shell.  And even then......

Agreed. A little expensive, but well worth it.

boots-matternhorns 8 inches. the best boot I've ever worn.
socks- fox river, wigwams, or smart wool
gloves-basically anything by hatch. the type I've got (camo pattern on them) I have never seen anywhere other then the regiment kit shop. anything with neoprene, and thin but warm is a very hard find.
knife-I've always enjoyed using the jumpmaster knife. but as a multi-tool, I'd have to say that the old gerber was perfect, or you can get the fancy leatherman from canadian tire.

other
-any type of camleback bag. I've always wanted to use one, but my old unit wouldn't. and since 1 RCR will let me, I've never been happier. you can stuff so much stuff in it, and the bags are so much more comfortable then any on the market in my opinion.
-touqe. I just bought this one on the weekend (actually it was a beanie), it was a pattern that was almost a dead of cadpat. it fit my head perfectly, and I was quite warm wearing it the whole time. it was made by bula. I saw it in boat house for $20.
knee pads- I've always sworn by my hatch knee pads. I have worn volley ball knee pads, I've liked them, I wish I could find mine again so I can wear them again, I don't want to spend $60 again on something I'll find again.
rain gear- I've always loved the us poncho. it's lightweight, AND you don't over heat wearing the damn thing.
there's lots of other kit I'd love to have on my c9, myself, or as equipment, but they'd never allow that stuff. *sigh* one day, maybe, one day.
Greg

1.   Stealth suit top

2.   Eagle Industies SAS mk V(?) airborne pistol holster

3.   MSR Whisperlite Internationale stove.

4.   64 pattern ruck

5.   Garmin Etrex GPS.   (If your signaller is not carrying a PLUGGER this should move up 2 places).

5.   Cheepo PolyWool/Thinsulate green army gloves

6.   Camelback, oh so recently issued.   If not issued, this moves to number one!

7.  Gerber Fairbairn/Appelgate covert folding knife

The original sleeka, go check it out... You will never be cold again.

www.snugpak.com

Non-Issue

My 3L OD Camelbak.

I recently bought a roll of some CADPAT from ebay.  I'm going to use it on my Camelbak.

Matt_Fisher said:
This thread could go on and on and on and on... ::)

Since nobody's mentioned it yet, I'll spout off a couple about Desert Kit:

Canvas Water Bag.   Essential!   Drinking hot water sucks!

Shemagh.   Essential!   Sandstorms suck!   Furnace-hot winds suck!

Pappy, funny you mention the Modular Sleep System.   I love how that thing can be snapped together.   Also, I've never had any problems with the zipper leaking, but you've got to ensure that the bivi bag is right side up so that the flap covers the zipper.   I suppose that a urethane coated zipper would probably be a better choice for water-resistance than the one they've got.

The only complaint about the MSS really is it's weight and bulk.   However it's a lot better than the "green slug" it replaced.

Oh yeah Matt I agree anything is better the those old down canvas sponges.  I spent many a cold night it those.  I picked up a new Intergal DEsign Pertex / Permalof bag, that is going to be a nice one, it's a North Ridge model if I remember right.  Picked it up from a friend for about half price in brand new never used condition.  I have a light, super lightweight Snugpak bag, a Merlin 3 that does me quite well most of the year.  But I'm a warm sleeper.

humm drinking hot water, well drinking hot beer ain't much better.  While sucking sand in 29-palms we had a little trick for beer cans, tie a string to the pop-top, and repeatilty dip into gasoline and then into the breeze, only and over and soon you have a cold beer, well at least colder.  Bummer being on a LAV, they use diesel .....  not sure it works as well.

Evaportive cooling.

On the other side we had a problem in Korea keeping beer from freezing...  we would place them inside 5-gallon water cans, using the water as a thermal mass, that did the trick too some might cold weather to freeze on 5-gallons completely.  Although I did have a night where it froze up a 60+ gallon tank of diesel fuel, but that way have been more due to the fact that folks where watering down the diesel to sell off the extra for some young korean sleeping bag warmers.    ;D

Rounder said:
Pappy... I picked one of these up in Bosnai and no doubt the BEST piece of snivel kit I own. I thought it was so good I got a sleeping bag too. Does anyone know a link to buy snugpak kit?

There are a few places online to buy it, my suggestion is to shop around a lot of differences in price.  I've noticed the UK sites offer it for a good price while the US sites can get high.  If your outside the UK remember to ask for the discount for not having to pay the UK VAT, and note some shops don't offer it the VAT discount, it's 18% so ask.

http://www.snugpak.com/

The code green section has od green stuff for the green needers.  Note the Sleeka now comes in reversible Tan and OD Green...

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages/banner.asp?CompanyID=55&afid=55
Penrith Survival, need I say more, a great company to deal with, been around for every, check out the Buffalo Clothing System suff on this site too, I highly recommend that stuff if your in cold wet.  I've never been hit with any customs charges from Penrith, but not sure about you guys in Canada, I think the Queen wants your money there.

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/mailcallpg.tam?mailcall=mailcall38
US site, watch the price differences, I think it's the customs charges that drove thier prices up... I think it was these guy that made a item very close to the Sleeka jacket and a set of watching pants, but I checked there site and thier gone...

Hope that helps, I do have more links if you need, but Snugpak it all over the UK, I suggest you order online form there, most will take US and I assume Canadaian credit cards.

Stealth suit

Issued Thermal System

Issued ICE System

New Issued Anti-Contact Gloves w/ Liners

Issued CWW Boots

Issued Goretex Socks

Issued Green and Black Sock system

Issued Beleclava And Neck Gator

And a Softie for night time.

Back