• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Must Have Kit, Canadian Style

I'm confused, BKells, why exactly does Papke have to overty state he is a cadet?!?   I'm sure you don't feel that just because Papke is RCACC, you feel he may not have some constructive thoughts or comments.   I know I certainly continue to learn things from those younger than me and more junior than me.

But as I say, I'm sure that's not what you meant.

Depending on the situation ...

Essentials:
Spare socks (and, I echo the Goretex sock comment - the issue ones are shite, but I like my Sealskinz)
Olive drab triangle bandage (for use as a bandanna, hat, mask)
Pocket first aid kit (there's usually who's related to Clumsy Carp ...)
POCKET knives (let's not start that knife thread again ... please ...)
I also echo the fire-making comment (increasingly important, as more guys quit smoking ...)

TI stuff:
Combination bug repellant sunscreen (e.g. Muskol)
Pelican M6 flashlight (for when you really, really, really need white light ...)
Sealskinz Goretex gloves, contact gloves, or else wristovers

Before we got issued our new-fangled neck gaiter, I used to always have a tube neck warmer that could be configured into a gazillion shapes (came in really handy before they issued us our shemaghs)

Pocket Snacks (e.g. PowerBars, Sun-Ryipe Fruit 2 Go)
In addition to survival snacks, during my last job (CIMIC) it was useful to have something in order to reciprocate when given something by a local - I will always remember the elder who dug deep in his pocket in order to give me some walnuts (it's all he had), and I was so thankful I had something to give him in return - also, it helped overcome that awkwardness about "oh, no really ... I insist ..." - Sun-Rype are Canadian, so I was able to explain that it was a gift from Canada ...

P.S. (I knew I'd forget something ESSENTIAL ... like cold medicine - borne out by Falklands AAR)

-It was drilled into me during BMQ to always carry a lighter. A source of fire is good... even if it's to burn off threads on your uniform.
-toque and fleece shirt. never go on an ex without them.
-a nuke bag of some sort to carry your extra goodies.

folding camp chair aka chair ina bag
  10 cup coffee perc.
    single burner coleman propane stove(heats a pot of coffee faster than issue stove and leave other 2    burners for rats and shaving water)
    a cooler
    and of course "non dairy"creamer

kato said:
folding camp chair aka chair ina bag

Those camp chairs are ok, but I always found them to hard on the ol' back, no way to sit upright

Papke said:
Those camp chairs are ok, but I always found them to hard on the ol' back, no way to sit upright

Have you ever tried getting dressed while sitting on a damp log?  Compare that with the camp chair, and tell me the difference.  A little bit of minor uncomfort, is a lot better than a whole bunch of major discomfort.

I dunno, but when ever I go on FTX's we don't get chairs??? Are you Cadets or something?

J-Swift said:
I dunno, but when ever I go on FTX's we don't get chairs??? Are you Cadets or something?

They are talking about camping chairs, you have to buy them (like at walmart or crappy tire)

Jane

I use a little folding stool that i got at CT for 10 bucks, it goes inside my valise, and i use it when i am in a trench behind the C6, or in Winter warfare i use it in the tent instead of sitting on my valise or what not.. everyone in my chain of command thinks its a great idea and i have never had a problem about it

J-Swift said:

Maybe when you have done ALOT of FTXs you will know.  Before questioning people's experiences ( the cadet comment) maybe you should have more than BMQ and SQ.

J-Swift said:

hehe J-Swift, time to go and make a purchase on your own, dude.   $10 at Can. Tire gets you a nice little tripod folding chair (i got one in RealWood Cam) that fits quite nicely strapped to the outside of your ruck, or like someone else mentioned, inside the valise.   It even comes with a bit of a shoulder strap so that you can haul it around with you that way.

If I do a course where I am going to be on a bunk-bed, it also makes a great night-stand table for my glasses, watch, flashlight, bootbands, that kind of thing.

They only weight a couple of pounds, if that, so you don't even really notice it, but everyone else does, when they are sitting on the wet grass or log, and you're nice and dry on your little chair.

Quentin

Is this like what you are talking about?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442156275&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517496&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=2534374303517521&FOLDER%3C%3EbrowsePath=1408474396669569&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669569&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1106770864262

quote author=Love793 link=topic=25224/post-156416#msg156416 date=1106729682]
Have you ever tried getting dressed while sitting on a damp log?   Compare that with the camp chair, and tell me the difference.   A little bit of minor uncomfort, is a lot better than a whole bunch of major discomfort.

True, but thats why I put something dry down, ie a garbage bag or put on waterproof pants, and the chair is not something you dont really want to haul around alot

As a balance of comfort and not carrying around to much, i agree with bdcasey916  the mini stool is the way to go.

Armymedic said:
Forgot the lighter...

actually I carry a mini soldering torch.

If you are talking about the high-pressure butane lighters I had a buddy who actually repaired the soldering in his am/fm radio with one of those. 

Kit I've bought in the Last 12 months that was not a waste of money:

Petzle Head Lamp: $35
Stealth Suit top: $100
Garmin Rino 120:  $300
Brit shemagh scarf:  E$9
Kneepads from Peacekeeper $35 (hey, I'm over 30, and they saved my life in Gagetown)

Last 10 Years that I still use everytime I go in the field:

Ridgerest mattress.

Garrison:

Leather White Drill Gloves:  $25.  I would go awol before wearing the shitty mickey mouse cloth ones again. 

The snivel kit being issued these days is getting to be as good as anything on the market.  If I'm paying for it, it's got to be lighter and warmer. 

Blackhorse, as you will remember....when you're mounted: there's always room for the BBQ and cooler, when you're dismounted make friends with the SQ/CQ and have his crew carry the BBQ for you.

Other than that, Mrs. Dash, Louisiana Hot Sauce and a good knife.

Armoured...the only way to go on EX  8)

Swin435 said:
Armoured...the only way to go on EX 8)

Don't you mean recce?? lol sorry I couldn't resist...

I have one of those camp chairs too, great for when you're course staff or in a CP... not so much when your in the light infantry role...

aesop081 said:
Maybe when you have done ALOT of FTXs you will know.  Before questioning people's experiences ( the cadet comment) maybe you should have more than BMQ and SQ.

dude it was a simple question.. :-\ I didn't think you could take chairs on field exercises.  ???

Back