• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kit Reviews, issued and non issued

theoldyoungguy

Inactive
Reaction score
I see alot of threads asking about certain items whether it be issued or non issued, so i figure i'd start a thread so anyone can post a review about any piece of kit. so to start is up

Thermal Underwear- One of my favorite pieces of kit, the top and bottom are both awesome. Ive gone on long patrols or marches and after being completely drenched in sweat, dry again 20 mins later(when wearing breathable outergarments) they help alot on those cold nights when u get back from a patrol and got to take sentry and stay in one place. Theyre great to keep u warm.

some short reviews of my fav peices of kit.

1) Stealth Suit. one of the best things ever made. I dont think I need to expound too much on this item. but...oh drool....
2) MSR whisperlite international. Paid for itself in one weekend. boiled water fast, cooked all the IMPs in a short time. weighed almost nothing, fuel plentiful. will take white gas, kerosene, diesel, gasoline, jet fuel, avgas, and pretty much anything that burns. i was more than happy with it.
3) Danner Acadia insulated boots. Cold, wet, miserable snow and rain, hills and cliffs, all dont matter. feet were dry, comfortable, warm the whole time. only took about a week to be fully broken in, and have had no issues with them.
4) Sole custom footbeds. really really comfortable. once formed to your feet, they offer lots of support and lots of comfort.

other great items are: bivy bag, 64 pattern rucksack, wigwam -40 socks, ranger blanket, zippo lighter, MEC softshell gloves (warm to -10, dries fast, warm when wet, lots of dexerity) CRKT Desert big dog folding knife, cold steel SRK, etc etc etc.

Not much of a gear slut anymore,but I still got my favorites.
1.Stealth suit-Already mentioned,but deserves another +1
2.Camelbak thermobak\Talon-I have both.I use my Talon hunting and my Thermobak army side.Both are well                            constructed,bladders are close to in destructable and defiantly handy to have.
3.Alpha liner-Warm,light weight,good kit to have when its to cold for just a shirt,but to warm for jacket or fleece.Soon to be replaced by a squeeze me.
4.Dropzone waist belt-Awesome addition to a 64 pat frame.More comfortable than the issued waist belt.

I have other bits and pieces,but these are my favorites worthy of mentioning.

Since the thread is dying, ill revive it >:D

Fleece sleeping bag liner- Amazing. Extremely warm, more than sufficient by itself for sleeping in late spring-late summer in conjunction with the bivy bag and ranger blanket. Comfortable, LIGHT, and if placed with one part of your inner and outer sleeping bag, its good for below zero temperatures.(-40c though id use every piece of sleeping kit i got ;D) The only downside to it is it is not very compressable so when stuffing it in your valise it makes it a little harder to carry some other big items, but on the other hand, during warmer seasons, ur saving alot of room not carrying a sleeping bag ;)

CF Issue Air Mattress
Does not fully self-inflate, nor can you use the bag to inflate it, since the that little black nud falls off with as much as a tiny nudge. I end up blowing into it to get it to inflate all the way.
It *is* damn comfortable. You can practically sleep on sticks and stones and be OK.
It is not however high speed to pack up. I've also had the valve refuse to open until you really mess around with it.

I'd give it a 5/10. However, for 22$$ you can pick up a 3/4 length ridgerest.

I thought the heater in the cab of the LSVW rocked.

When it was working, that is.

The rest of the truck sucked, though.

Tactical Tailor rucksack straps on a 64 pat ruck frame... oh yeah!

Michael Dorosh said:
I thought the heater in the cab of the LSVW rocked.

When it was working, that is.
It sure does in the Summer.....but it sucks in the Winter.

Must have been that "Reverse Engineering" we did to the White Star/IVECO/Unimog designs to Canadianize it.  ;D

Thinsulate Poncho liner from Brigade Quartermasters, easily 2 times as warm, and compresses smaller then the issued liner.  Coupled with a USGI poncho it makes a great sleeping bag replacement in warmer weather.

Old and Dumb, please clarify......"Stealth Suit"

LSVW is a POS, you know a vehicle has trouble when it is more effective reversing up a snowy hill!!!

Unimog Amb, good solid vehicle.

I really don't think you can go wrong with the ranger blanket.
I just came back from another awesome field ex and that darn sweet thing kept me warm.
I used it to cover my face during sleep, with half of it covering my face and half of it down to my body.
It gets you warm very quick, and absolutely necessary when you are sleeping.
I'm sure there are some of those who benefitted from using the ranger blanket. Right?

William Webb Ellis said:
Old and Dumb, please clarify......"Stealth Suit"

LSVW is a POS, you know a vehicle has trouble when it is more effective reversing up a snowy hill!!!

Unimog Amb, good solid vehicle.

A stealth suit is basically a gortex shell top and bottom.  You basically wear it underneath your combats (stealth like) and you stay warm and dry in some pretty crappy weather.

westiewookie said:
I really don't think you can go wrong with the ranger blanket.
I just came back from another awesome field ex and that darn sweet thing kept me warm.
I used it to cover my face during sleep, with half of it covering my face and half of it down to my body.
It gets you warm very quick, and absolutely necessary when you are sleeping.
I'm sure there are some of those who benefitted from using the ranger blanket. Right?

Oh yes, I do love the ranger blanket. I have the issued one, plus an american one. Most often I use them two and leave the sleeping bag in the valice. A few times camping as well they have been a saving grace for warmth and lack of weight.

Back