• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Policies on Non-Issue kit during Ex.

Kennedy988

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm part of a RECCE unit, and every time we go out on exercise i notice that more and more guys are bringing Non-Issue kit with them into the field. Gloves, hats, Camel-baks, magnums/swats, knives, their own slings, etc etc... I dont have a problem with non-issue kit. In my opinion, any piece of kit that improves a soldiers effectiveness should be deemed "Acceptable" but i WOULD like to know what, exactly, the CF policies are regarding a soldiers' use of non-issue kit in the field. What can they wear? What cant they wear? It seems that most times it really depends on how much the CO/Officers and higher ranking NCM's of a unit are willing to put up with, but thats always unstable ground to base a conception off of, because everyone always has their own opinion.

Furthermore--Being part of a reconnaissance unit--I have recently questioned whether or not it would be viable to create a ghillie (Or some other type of camouflage) and bring it into the field. my reasoning is this:

1.  Being recce, it could potentially increase effectiveness, if done properly
2.  Depending on the policies regarding non-issue kit, it may be acceptable (Though i doubt it)
3.  It'd probably be warm ;D

I have not yet asked my COC if i could do it, and have not yet shown up for work looking like a wookie --I wanted to inquire here first-- But if someone could give me a rundown on this issue or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Non issued kit in the field is always detemined by your units CoC, and the Area if applicable. Except when it comes to wearing the uniforms of other countries, this is delt with in CFAOs. Ask your CoC, and let them decide on what is acceptable and what is not.

To add what Tango18A said, having a ghillie unless you are a sniper and are conducting a stalk is pretty much useless.

Actually Recce Sqn LdSH(RC) has been using ghilles lately as rebuilding the dismounted Recce role.

IMO, for what you want a full suit isn't something you would want to use. Maybe something like this  http://www.tacticaltailor.com/supercobraghilliesuithoodSC2.aspx
Theres also those 3D leaf suits you can find at hunting supply stores, etc

Also, yea wearing the suit will be warm, but that's not a bonus though in hot/humid weather.  It's doable, though for sure.

Instead of a suit you could just add scrim/burlap to your kit, ie boonie hat/helmet, tac vest, pack, etc

Or just work on concealment of your hide if you are going to be in an OP for awhile and not use a suit/hood.

I know a dude in the QYR wore a ghille, during a Brigade/Area ex and the pic was posted around a few places, my buddy who was in the unit with him at the time said it was pretty much just him doing that, it wasn't a common thing.

Well i suppose that a ghillie would sometimes be impractical, seeing as how were mounted and driving about half the time were on ex, but from experience, i have found that having additional camo aside from our base cadpat would be a huge asset as far as dismounted recce is concerned. even something like a rifle rag to cover our A-2's would be handy, but apparently as Tango mentioned, it'd be up to my CoC.

Kennedy988 said:
Well i suppose that a ghillie would sometimes be impractical, seeing as how were mounted and driving about half the time were on ex, but from experience, i have found that having additional camo aside from our base cadpat would be a huge asset as far as dismounted recce is concerned. even something like a rifle rag to cover our A-2's would be handy, but apparently as Tango mentioned, it'd be up to my CoC.

Not "apparently" but actually!

These issues usually come down to the responsibility of the man with the 3 letter acronym-RSM,CSM,SSM,BSM. There has to be some rules otherwise we'd head off into the field looking like some sort of US Militia! I'll date myself here but the line used to be drawn at US rain jackets, alpha liners and JB's....then Danners started to sneak in! But to put it in perspective that was before the internet and explosion of progressive military kit developers and before we were actually engaged with coalition partners in a war in SWA.

There was a very good article on using non-issue kit a few years ago on this site from a Patricia MCpl. If memory serves, I believe that a soldier had to get some time in the Bn and on operations and exercises before he/she decided to modify or use other than issued gear. Limits on this were set by the CSM and monitored via the chain. Once the soldier had the requisite experience he the soldier had to go to his Jack and seek permission. This way there was some control.

PPE is as always a non starter. In my unit outside of Pde nights, any style of black boots are good to go, patrol packs, Rucksacks, Tac vest, pouches to a certain degree, cut down boonies and anything worn under your cbt shirt and pants.

Hope this helps.

Christ, have we reached the absolute depths of parade square foolishness? Where a member of a recce section has to wonder if it's acceptable to camoflauge themselves? Isn't this the sort of thing that's traditionally home-made anyway? There are (Were?) rolls of coloured burlap available in the system for this sort of thing, personal camoflauge, rifle camoflauge, etc.

I think the op has a valid point to ask. There are too many out there that don't bother with the finer points of recce, like cam and concealment. Its always the fine details that keep your mission viable. Some units don't bother to invest time home making anything, and it is their loss. Just like calculating for long wire field expedient antennas.

a Sig Op said:
Christ, have we reached the absolute depths of parade square foolishness? Where a member of a recce section has to wonder if it's acceptable to camoflauge themselves? Isn't this the sort of thing that's traditionally home-made anyway? There are (Were?) rolls of coloured burlap available in the system for this sort of thing, personal camoflauge, rifle camoflauge, etc.

+1

noneck said:
PPE is as always a non starter. In my unit outside of Pde nights, any style of black boots are good to go, patrol packs, Rucksacks, Tac vest, pouches to a certain degree, cut down boonies and anything worn under your cbt shirt and pants.

noneck - I know it was passed down to 1Pl, not sure if 2Pl got it but apparently chest rigs were given the go ahead. The email I received didn't contain anything more than that but I would imagine green or CADPAT and not outlandish.

Everyone else - Our unit was given the go ahead to wear personal rigs during our urban ops training and given that, I see no reason this wouldn't extend to exercises. That said...I've yet to see anyone show up to a parade night with anything other than the TV and as much as I'd like to go out and configure my own MAV, being an individual tends to be noticed in the reserves.

Back