• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Potentials if Scheer Implodes

Is it possible for Scheer to step down from leadership“ for health reasons” and somebody more palatable take the reins. Caroline Mulroney?

Cloud Cover said:
Is it possible for Scheer to step down from leadership“ for health reasons” and somebody more palatable take the reins. Caroline Mulroney?

To be honest I think she shot herself in the foot with Doug Ford's dealings with the Franco Ontarian issue.  She'll never be able to get votes in Quebec after that.  A good chunk of NB and parts of Ontario would snub her as well.  And her father did her no favours when he appeared on Tout le monde en parle.  She's damaged goods. 

My take is that if he wins, then he should stay obviously.  If he only manages to force a Liberal minority given the current climate, I'm not so sure.  He should be given a chance but I suspect that there will be internal pressures for him to move out of the way.  A Liberal minority would get maybe 2 years in before another election and the last thing they would want is another 4 years of Trudeau after that. 

Remius said:
To be honest I think she shot herself in the foot with Doug Ford's dealings with the Franco Ontarian issue.  She'll never be able to get votes in Quebec after that.  A good chunk of NB and parts of Ontario would snub her as well.  And her father did her no favours when he appeared on Tout le monde en parle.  She's damaged goods. 

My take is that if he wins, then he should stay obviously.  If he only manages to force a Liberal minority given the current climate, I'm not so sure.  He should be given a chance but I suspect that there will be internal pressures for him to move out of the way.  A Liberal minority would get maybe 2 years in before another election and the last thing they would want is another 4 years of Trudeau after that.

I think the likes of MacKay and Rona Ambrose are kicking themselves right now.  Both of these folks would have been excellent alternatives to JT and his team. 

Having said that, a Liberal minority is a conservative victory, especially with all the provinces being moved to Conservative governments.  I predict Scheer stays on in this case. But failing to win an elections after the collapse of a Liberal minority I suspect Scheer is ousted and MacKay or Ambrose take the reigns.

From the Toronto Star.

theo_moudakis_trudeau_simpsons.jpg

Halifax Tar said:
I think the likes of MacKay and Rona Ambrose are kicking themselves right now.  Both of these folks would have been excellent alternatives to JT and his team. 

Not sure about that. Ambrose couldn’t run as the interim leader, I believe, and MacKay was still focusing on his family.  That said, I could see either pre- or post-election changes given certain conditions that could develop in the coming months.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Not sure about that. Ambrose couldn’t run as the interim leader, I believe, and MacKay was still focusing on his family.  That said, I could see either pre- or post-election changes given certain conditions that could develop in the coming months.

Regards
G2G

I am of the camp that believes they chose their paths at that time expecting a very strongly supported Liberal party for 2 election cycles with little chance of victory until a third election. 

Halifax Tar said:
I am of the camp that believes they chose their paths at that time expecting a very strongly supported Liberal party for 2 election cycles with little chance of victory until a third election.

I'm of the same belief.  They are or were planning a return shortly after a 2nd Trudeau win.  Those plans might be in question now for some.

Halifax Tar said:
Our memberships needs to come to grips with the fact that gay rights an abortion are decided in Canada.

A good number of other matters "are decided in Canada" as well.

As we don't need to revisit any of them either, barring anything completely new, why bother with Parliament at all?

Many people have very different viewpoints on many subjects. Should they also "come to grips" with a/the standardized/officially-mandated viewpoint?

I don't know that too many people are hung up on "gay rights" (really nothing more than ensuring that all people are treated fairly and equally), but there are a lot of people who understand that abortion involves killing an unborn human being and are very, very unlikely to be convinced otherwise.

Neither abortion nor the conflict surrounding it are ever likely to go away. Recognizing the political impracticality/impossibility regarding banning it outright, I'd rather at least see a legislated end to late-term abortions, especially partial-birth abortions, and more support, including adoption services, offered to potential mothers in order to truly give them a "choice".

The only two women that I've ever known who were open about having had abortions harboured deep regrets and remorse many years later, and wished that they'd made a different decision.

Back