• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Potentials if Scheer Implodes

I sure hope you don't mean knocking on doors the way you did it in the Sandbox.  ;D

Anyone willing to suggest the return of Belinda? :eek:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I sure hope you don't mean knocking on doors the way you did it in the Sandbox.  ;D

Anyone willing to suggest the return of Belinda? :eek:
She's too busy suing / being sued by her father right now...

My, personal, choice in the last leadership campaign was Erin O'Toole, but I, too, would have preferred Rona Ambrose.

In my opinion Ms Rempel, and another young Albertan named Natalie Pon, represent the CPC's future ~ young, urban, nationalist, socially moderate, fiscally prudent, etc ~ but neither is, yet, sufficiently bilingual. Ditto, I think for Ms Bergen, I'm not sure about Lisa Raitt.

I know that will rub a few people the wrong way but the fact is that we are officially, constitutionally bilingual country and a leader must be able to speak to and understand people in the other official language at least as well as Jean Chrétien did; that's not an incredibly high bar.

Just my  :2c:

My fear is that the moment the Conservatives trot out a female leader, the Liberals will be gleefully salivating and quick to call up the ghost of Kim Campbell's leadership.

Doubtful.  In the current social/political milieu, parties of the left and centre-left will have to tread very carefully when criticizing any CPC candidate who is not "white" and "male".

I think Rempel and Bergen are much like Pollievre, they are great antagonizers for the opposition, but I don't think any of them is truly a "leader." They are much better as followers. Because of the roles they've played as antagonizers I just don't see them as having the gravitas to be a Prime Minister.

ballz said:
..... I just don't see them as having the gravitas to be a Prime Minister.
  :rofl:

I can list several political leaders (and media talking heads) who fail massively at ticking that box;  I fear that quality has been beaten to death.

I think we all know who we truly want.

cGFZltv.jpg

Lol.  Yeah...

What are people's thoughts on Doug Ford making the leap? 

Is there anything stopping from running for the party leadership while still serving as Premier (but stepping down if won of course).

The timing might be right when you think about it. 

Trudeau wins.  Scheer steps down.  An interim leader is chosen.  A new leadership race just before Ford has to declare a provincial election and takes the helm.

I was hoping the Mulroney would be ready for a federal leadership run but she was a lame duck at the provincial level and her being linked to eth Franco issue in Ontario likely makes her unelectable federally.

Ambrose if she comes back for me or MacKay.  The rest either are not electable or have issues of their own.

Brad Sallows said:
Doubtful.  In the current social/political milieu, parties of the left and centre-left will have to tread very carefully when criticizing any CPC candidate who is not "white" and "male".

I daresay you underestimate Liberal hypocrisy.

Journeyman said:
  :rofl:

I can list several political leaders (and media talking heads) who fail massively at ticking that box;  I fear that quality has been beaten to death.

Fair point, no one can be sure how much it's required anymore in our celebrity-obsessed culture. But they also don't really have celebrity status to plug that hole with either...

Remius said:
Lol.  Yeah...

What are people's thoughts on Doug Ford making the leap? 

Is there anything stopping from running for the party leadership while still serving as Premier (but stepping down if won of course).

The timing might be right when you think about it. 

Trudeau wins.  Scheer steps down.  An interim leader is chosen.  A new leadership race just before Ford has to declare a provincial election and takes the helm.

I was hoping the Mulroney would be ready for a federal leadership run but she was a lame duck at the provincial level and her being linked to eth Franco issue in Ontario likely makes her unelectable federally.

Ambrose if she comes back for me or MacKay.  The rest either are not electable or have issues of their own.

I agree with all of the above. I find most of Ford's moves since becoming Premier are "scary Trump lite." I was surprised to see signs in the media recently that he may be thinking of a move in the direction of PM. Hell becoming a populist Premier worked out pretty good let's go for the big one.

As for poor Mulroney she sold her soul to Ford over his moves in the Ontario Franco issue.

"The dream is over.”
Those words by the Beatles’ John Lennon in his 1970 song “God” could easily apply these days to Caroline Mulroney.
The dream harboured by the Ontario attorney general when she first entered elected politics in the summer of 2017 was that one day she would become premier of Ontario and eventually move on to become Canada’s first elected woman prime minister."
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/11/28/the-dream-dies-for-caroline-mulroney.html

I'll stick with Scheer, for now. Too late to change him out, even though that worked for Ford. We're stuck with the devils we know going into this election.

Are there better? Who knows, he hasn't won yet, we have no idea how he'll be as a PM.

Enough believed trudeau to get him elected and look at what a disaster that turned out to be.

Scheer would need to be dead to do worse. Mind, a dead person could do better than trudeau is doing now.

The writer buried the MP's name until the end of the story. Why would that be ? Celina Caesar-Chavannes could no longer support the Liberal Party.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/in-fresh-blow-to-canada-pm-trudeau-lawmaker-quits-his-caucus/ar-BBV1IQZ?ocid=spartanntp

One advantage of Scheer is that he is very Mundane and since we unelect governments, being mundane might be a good thing. The Liberals have had a hard time making him look scary and since he does not appeal to Large C Conservatives, he may appeal to the undecided crowd who are the real electors of governments.

http://338canada.com/?fbclid=IwAR0gkT-hqeljaBLWc-MCnEPrh0jGlqxUUcoNRgnmk9GlFVcCyVaTh5QDxcA

This is pretty sad... now that SNC-Lavellin has been out of the news for what, 2 weeks? The CPC lead has shrank again to only 3.5%... you can see the graph, it's been entirely lost to the Liberals.

I agree with Colin's post about Scheer being mundane might work to his advantage, but that is very much relying on the Liberals to continually step on their own genitals... it's like he has no ability to influence the electorate one way or another and is just along for the ride like the rest of us.

That said the seat projections are at least showing a healthy buffer if he can just hang on.

ballz said:
http://338canada.com/?fbclid=IwAR0gkT-hqeljaBLWc-MCnEPrh0jGlqxUUcoNRgnmk9GlFVcCyVaTh5QDxcA

This is pretty sad... now that SNC-Lavellin has been out of the news for what, 2 weeks? The CPC lead has shrank again to only 3.5%... you can see the graph, it's been entirely lost to the Liberals.

I agree with Colin's post about Scheer being mundane might work to his advantage, but that is very much relying on the Liberals to continually step on their own genitals... it's like he has no ability to influence the electoate one way or another and is just along for the ride like the rest of us.

That sad the seat projections are at least showing a healthy buffer if he can just hang on.

Pretty much.  I know plenty of people who would vote conservative but they will likely either stay home or vote for someone else as long as Scheer is the leader.  Myself included.  I’m still undecided and plenty of time for Trudeau to get caught eating kittens but for now Scheer isn’t really doing it for me.

ballz said:

I agree with Colin's post about Scheer being mundane might work to his advantage, but that is very much relying on the Liberals to continually step on their own genitals... it's like he has no ability to influence the electoate one way or another and is just along for the ride like the rest of us.

That sad the seat projections are at least showing a healthy buffer if he can just hang on.

The VAdm Norman affair is still waiting in the wings, so to speak.  If this all starts to unravel for the Liberals in the courtroom, as its scheduled, I personally think it will be bigger than the SNC boondoggle.

[quote author=Remius]  I’m still undecided and plenty of time for Trudeau to get caught eating kittens but for now Scheer isn’t really doing it for me.
[/quote]
If you still need convincing that Trudeau shouldn't be PM I doubt him eating kittens is going to phase you  ;)

Back