• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CPC Leadership Potentials if Scheer Implodes

Jarnhamar said:
If you still need convincing that Trudeau shouldn't be PM I doubt him eating kittens is going to phase you  ;)

He certainly deserves to be ousted.  But I’m not convinced that the other options are any better.

Remius said:
He certainly deserves to be ousted.  But I’m not convinced that the other options are any better.

What has Scheer done to convince you he would be a worse choice for PM than the other option(s) ?

I concur to his being more "mundane", but flashy socks, virtue signalling, and dress up displays hardly provide depth to the other option. 

Halifax Tar said:
What has Scheer done to convince you he would be a worse choice for PM than the other option(s) ?

I concur to his being more "mundane", but flashy socks, virtue signalling, and dress up displays hardly provide depth to the other option.

I didn’t say worse.  Just not any better.

A few things come to mind.  Most Canadians don’t see him as the head of the conservatives party.  A good chunk think Doug Ford is.  That is telling.

Also, he has the same tune every time.  Everything is a scandal everything needs an investigation and calls for one all the time.  So when something like the SNC Lavalin scandal comes up.  Something that should be investigated it rings hollow from him because he’s been crying wolf on the mundane stuff.  When he call for the pm to step down it sounds like the same tune he always has.  So some voters like me roll our eyes when he does call for resignations and investigations. 

I don’t think he’s been very effective as an opposition leader.  It makes me wonder how effectively he might be as a leader of the government. 

Campaigns matter.  My decision will be formed during the campaign when I can see what all parties have to offer.  My suspicion though is that it might boil down to my choice for MP.  I’d rather see someone else leading the Liberals just as much as I’d rather see someone else leading the CPC. But we have what we have.

Ironic.  If the leader is strong-willed and/or flashy, we end up with a handful of people in the PMO running the entire show.  If the leader is mundane and seems to be a "grey man" who might be just the thing to decentralize authority in parliament a little, we don't want him.

Brad Sallows said:
Ironic.  If the leader is strong-willed and/or flashy, we end up with a handful of people in the PMO running the entire show.  If the leader is mundane and seems to be a "grey man" who might be just the thing to decentralize authority in parliament a little, we don't want him.

True.  But I have no doubt that Scheer would exert as much control in the PMO as Harper did.  I suspect it is needed in that job one way or another.

Remius said:

Is there actually a point where you would vote for Scheer instead of Trudeau?

If so what would Trudeau actually have to do to get you to that point?

Is the requirement for a leader to take the country in a particular direction of her/his choosing or is it for a manager that will permit the country to go in the directions that it chooses?

As to having a grip on the PMO, the staff of the Prime Minister's Office, I would hope that the Prime Minister would be gripping the staff.

Now should the PM be gripping parliament, or should parliament be gripping the PM?  That is the existential, and fundamental fight at the heart of the way our country is run.  I hope that I never see the day that that fight ends.

Jarnhamar said:
Is there actually a point where you would vote for Scheer instead of Trudeau?

If so what would Trudeau actually have to do to get you to that point?

Not sure.  I am at a point where I don’t want to vote for Trudeau.  That hasn’t translated in to me wanting to vote for  Scheer. 

Something many undecided are grappling with.

Like I said, it may boil down to my MP.  Or how the campaign goes.

I'm not sure blaming Scheer for a potential Liberal win in the election makes sense. As unhappy as I am with Trudeau government, I'm not sure that the Conservatives have actually provided a reason to vote for them. In my case no candidate/party will receive my vote that does not have a serious plan regarding climate change(as judged by me). At this time that precludes me from voting for the Conservatives regardless who their leader is or the performance of Trudeau

Cancelling the carbon tax is justification enough for me to vote for them. The Tories are the only main party to commit to cancelling it.

As for a serious climate change plan, do you realize that if we cut our emissions in half (ignoring the massive forests that absorb our CO2 anyway), we'll change global emissions by a paltry 0.7% but completely devastate our economy in the process? The only short/medium term climate plan that makes any sense is federal funding to replace all Coal generating stations with nuclear power. That would cut our emissions by 60 megatonnes, or just under 10% of our total emissions. That number goes up to 80 megatonnes if we replace the natural gas stations with nuclear as well. Conveniently, that would put us on track to meet the Paris Accord commitment of 30% below 2005 levels by 2030, with time to spare as a nuclear plant takes approx 60 months (quick Google research) to build and turn on.

The Liberals have failed on their keystone platform of "climate change", with the Liberals even getting further behind every year they're in office: https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canada-further-from-paris-targets-than-last-year-new-projections-show

PuckChaser said:
Cancelling the carbon tax is justification enough for me to vote for them. The Tories are the only main party to commit to cancelling it.

As for a serious climate change plan, do you realize that if we cut our emissions in half (ignoring the massive forests that absorb our CO2 anyway), we'll change global emissions by a paltry 0.7% but completely devastate our economy in the process? The only short/medium term climate plan that makes any sense is federal funding to replace all Coal generating stations with nuclear power. That would cut our emissions by 60 megatonnes, or just under 10% of our total emissions. That number goes up to 80 megatonnes if we replace the natural gas stations with nuclear as well. Conveniently, that would put us on track to meet the Paris Accord commitment of 30% below 2005 levels by 2030, with time to spare as a nuclear plant takes approx 60 months (quick Google research) to build and turn on.

The Liberals have failed on their keystone platform of "climate change", with the Liberals even getting further behind every year they're in office: https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canada-further-from-paris-targets-than-last-year-new-projections-show

...assuming no one holds Canada partially, or fully accountable for the increased CO2 emissions that will directly result from burning all that coal that B.C. is exporting via whale-friendly bulk-carrier ships... :nod:

Regards
G2G

The Conservatives statement of intent is no carbon tax on home heating only (I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrlrLj2vTI

I will scrap the carbon tax Andrew Scheer - 2 Apr 19

Can't find that statement in a search of the CPC website, but this turns up from the month before:

https://media.conservative.ca/en/news-releases/conservatives-to-remove-gst-from-home-heating

Part of Andrew Scheer’s plan to make life more affordable for Canadians
- March 6, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Mississauga, Ontario – The Leader of Canada’s Conservatives and of the Official Opposition, the Honourable Andrew Scheer, today announced the next step in his plan to make life more affordable for Canadians.

A Conservative government, led by Andrew Scheer, will remove the Goods and Services Tax (GST) from home heating and energy bills, which will save the average Canadian household $107 per year.

“It’s hard enough to get ahead these days without the government taking money out of your pocket,” Scheer said. “Heating your home in the winter isn’t a luxury for Canadians. It is a necessity. We don’t tax other basic necessities like groceries and we shouldn’t be taxing home heating.”

The Conservative leader emphasized that under his plan Canadians will not only save the cost of the federal tax on their home heating and energy bills, they will also save hundreds of dollars more each year after he cancels Justin Trudeau’s Carbon Tax.

“His Carbon Tax will increase the cost of everyday essentials like gasoline, groceries, and home heating and make life more expensive for everyone. As Prime Minister, I will put this money back in the pockets of Canadians where it belongs,” Scheer said.

“Canada should have a government that helps people achieve their dreams, not a government that stands in the way,” Scheer said. “My plan to remove the GST from home heating and energy bills is just one of the ways that a Conservative government will help Canadians get ahead.”

suffolkowner said:
I'm not sure blaming Scheer for a potential Liberal win in the election makes sense. As unhappy as I am with Trudeau government, I'm not sure that the Conservatives have actually provided a reason to vote for them.

I fail to see how that is not their leader's fault?

I think the carbon tax puts the Conservatives in a bad place... I'm quite confident there is no more efficient way to change behaviors than taxes. I am actually not against a carbon tax, but I am against the nuances of the way the Liberals are rolling it out. This whole "collect it and then give it back" just causes unnecessary administration. I would be on board with a carbon tax that coincided, based on the calculation of how much revenue will be collected through it, with a cut to the GST. Not only would it be revenue-neutral without the unnecessary administration, but the effect of making carbon-products slightly more expensive, and everything else slightly cheaper, would have a better effect on influencing behaviors than only increasing the price of carbon-products. Unfortunately, the Conservatives have been so outright against the idea that this road isn't really open to them.

I'm also very interested in some stuff coming into the market now. The addition of "plug-in hybrids" seems like to me like they've finally created a product that is viable. There is also a company in California now that converts existing vehicles into plug-in hybrids, which if i were offered in Canada would be a great place to put a tax credit (I'm against tax credits, but I digress).

Carbon Tax - Replacing the Gold Standard with the Carbon Standard.

An interesting concept where everybody buys and mines their own gold and runs their own mint and the exchange is monitored by a sales tax.

How much credit do I get for the wheat my carbon creates?

My apologies for a late reply.  I've been reloading and de-mounting a scope all day.

Remius said:

A few things come to mind.  Most Canadians don’t see him as the head of the conservatives party.  A good chunk think Doug Ford is.  That is telling.

Honestly thats the first time I have heard that.  Gives me something to think about, I shall dig on this.

Also, he has the same tune every time.  Everything is a scandal everything needs an investigation and calls for one all the time.  So when something like the SNC Lavalin scandal comes up.  Something that should be investigated it rings hollow from him because he’s been crying wolf on the mundane stuff.  When he call for the pm to step down it sounds like the same tune he always has.  So some voters like me roll our eyes when he does call for resignations and investigations.

We may partially agree here.  I think Scheer was overly dramatic immediately after the SNC affair and JWR's input was made public.  But I think as the event and "facts" have unfolded, he was correct.

It seems to have become the Oppositions job, in about the last 20 years, to jump on the sitting government and call for heads to roll at the drop of pin.  Thats not Scheer's doing, that has become SOP for parliamentarians.  The same as it has become SOP for sitting governments not to answer questions in they HOC, instead the issue sound bites, blame the prior parties and deflect.

In short we have a problem with our governance more than we do with individuals I would reckon.  Perhaps we expect too little of our elected leaders ?

I don’t think he’s been very effective as an opposition leader.  It makes me wonder how effectively he might be as a leader of the government.

What effectiveness does/could the Opposition Leader have in a majority parliament situation?  Other than harassment of the sitting government.  What did you expect ?

Campaigns matter.  My decision will be formed during the campaign when I can see what all parties have to offer.  My suspicion though is that it might boil down to my choice for MP.  I’d rather see someone else leading the Liberals just as much as I’d rather see someone else leading the CPC. But we have what we have.

Fair.

One big reason I won't ever vote for liberals. I've mentioned this before and basically been called  :Tin-Foil-Hat:

Well now there's two of us that think that way.

https://business.financialpost.com/diane-francis/the-crushing-of-wilson-raybould-and-philpott-is-proof-canada-is-run-by-a-liberal-cabal?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0JgpFc0dEPlLmFnAoyJL4U_68TltODuHdT8q4sjHaqqGft3kN5Ewt6Ano#Echobox=1555932552

hmmm, I don't disagree with the main thesis of the "Cabal", but JWR is a person of immense talent? At what? She was a junior prosecutor for 3 years, and gained a reputation with defence counsel as a Crown counsel who will cave on every criminal indigenous file she was assigned, that hardly makes her "immensely talented" for the role of AG. She abused her position in the role of AG and Justice Minister to skewer the Crown and taxpayers in any indigenous litigation, over the documented objection of far more experienced and senior counsel.

With respect to her various positions as an indigenous leader, she was a rascal activist with a title, a large paycheque and just used the playbook developed by her and her illustrious "social anthropologist" husband, not a frickin' rocket scientist, doctor, engineer or anybody else with real talent. 

I don't know much about the other parliamentarian, and while I do not disagree with JWR's "decision" on SNC, I pretty much disagree with everything else that she did in her role.  If there is a cabal of liberal power brokers, there is also another cabal of activists in positions of power who are abusing their authority and the trust put in them to serve the public interest and the greater good, which is not something the former AG ostensibly agrees with.

Here is the most current Nanos poll.

http://www.nanos.co/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Political-Package-2019-04-12-FR.pdf

Even I have to say wtf.

Look at preferred leader and who people think display the qualities of a leader.

I have to wonder if the number so that Maxime Bernier are showing are actually eating away at Scheer and the CPC.  8.7 percent is a significant amount that would put the CPC way over. 

This is after the whole snc thing. 

Maybe the Liberal scare tactics are working, maybe it is the climate change debate.  Not sure.

What I find most interesting is the Green growth.  Their improvement in the polls seems to be sticking, so the question to me is how effective their votes will be, and who benefits from them.  Where is the tipping point where they become a viable national party, and which of the three do they displace? (Displace by 2030 or so).

Back