• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What is your military status?

What is your military or non military status?

• Total voters
Just got into the Canadian Scottish Regiment (infantry), i will be doing basic in Jan.  Anyone else in that area?

Just swore in with KLC and 3 others yesterday, guess that makes us official now  ;D

All of us were off to BMQ on the 6th of Jan.

Mithras said:
Just swore in with KLC and 3 others yesterday, guess that makes us official now  ;D

All of us were off to BMQ on the 6th of Jan.

What he said. Just a matter of time till BMQ now..  ;D

Your going to Borden, right? Somone we swore in with was going to St. Jean, I just can't remember who.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Time for another poll folks.

Quick question, I'm curious as to the purpose of the poll is? general survey for the sake of it, or are is the administration looking to make chagnes etc, etc?

to be honest it all seems kinda BIG BROTHER-ish to me ;)  (JOKINGLY)

Edited to insert  (JOKINGLY)

Well if you cannot figure it out then we might have to get some kindergardeners to explain it to you....

1) The post was made in 2004 when the site was on the upswing to get a feel on what experience people had (Purpose)
2) Where do you see any idea of changes based on a poll and explain how it seems big brotherish?

Ex-Dragoon said:
Well if you cannot figure it out then we might have to get some kindergardeners to explain it to you....

1) The post was made in 2004 when the site was on the upswing to get a feel on what experience people had (Purpose)
2) Where do you see any idea of changes based on a poll and explain how it seems big brotherish?

I would like to begin by saying that I find it remarkable that the first personal encounter I have with sarcastic comments was with a member of a directing staff. Yes you are correct that I didn't notice the start date for the topic, however the reason I posted was the myriad of recent posts. Perhaps now that the purpose of the poll has been realised is should be closed? On the point you raised regarding my level of education, fear not I am fairing well for myself.

In terms my question regarding the poll itself, I was genuinely curious as to what the intent of the poll was (keeping in mind I was asking this while unaware of the posting date). As in if there were some pending changes to the site, and the survey was being conducted to get a feel for "type" of users on the forums, thinking that this might be done from time to time to adapt the site accordingly.

The Big Brother reference was merely a joke, which I thought was highlighted by the *wink*, however this was apparently overlooked. The connection that was intended, was the alluding to the fact that poll was seeking "personal" information from users. By "personal" I merely refer to it being information about the users, and not the typical connotation for the term "personal".  Likewise, please note that I do not feel that this poll threatened my individuality, hence why I dutifully clicked the appropriate box to me before posting my question.

Have your self a pleasant evening sir.

Regards,
Desert Fox

Sometimes in the absence of body language and tone things can get missed.  DFox, I also was a bit put off by the Big Brother comment, however your subsequent post seems to have cleared that up.  Don't rely too heavily on the smileys to cover off comments.  However, I have stated for some time that a [sarcasm] dedicated smiley would be a bonus.
As for the poll, why would we dismantle it even if the original purpose may have been satisfied?  What is wrong with having a snap shot of the membership at a glance.  And once it is discontinued, if somebody wanted that info it would be difficult to re-canvass the entire membership again.  And I believe that the bigger the sample group is, the more accurate the poll is.
You will find there are heaps of maintained statistics.  Look in the profile section.  Hell, there is even a calculator to determine what percentage of your life you have wasted here, and how much your membership costs per day.  Do you have some specific concern with the data being collected?  In what way would you forsee the information being abused?
The other point is that you don't actually have to cast a vote to read or reply to the thread.  So feel free to fight The Man and don't vote. 
afro.gif

Klc said:
What he said. Just a matter of time till BMQ now..  ;D

Your going to Borden, right? Somone we swore in with was going to St. Jean, I just can't remember who.

Yeah, I am off to Borden.  I believe the older gentleman from Poland is going with you to St. Jean.

As for why the topic should exist, or stay open.. it is a central place for everyone to give status updates on their military careers.  Cuts down on all the individual "LOOK AT ME" threads.

zipperhead_cop said:
As for the poll, why would we dismantle it even if the original purpose may have been satisfied?  What is wrong with having a snap shot of the membership at a glance.  And once it is discontinued, if somebody wanted that info it would be difficult to re-canvass the entire membership again.  And I believe that the bigger the sample group is, the more accurate the poll is...........long omission.............So feel free to fight The Man and don't vote.  [

No No, I'm not some civil liberties freak, and I did vote, thats what started this whole thing, me voting an being curious as to what the sample was being taken for.

What I mean by it being useful is that basically any swinging shlong can click on whatever button, and that keeping it open doesn’t in my opinion reflect the composition of the group (as voting was open until it was close a few hours ago). For example, there are people on the site who are not members of the military and vote accordingly as civies, and then get sworn in, run home and re-vote. Numerous other transformations can occur within the group and are not subsequently reflected. A poll to be effective must be a snap shot of a particular moment. Hence why political polls are conducted over a short period usually limited to a few days. However the dynamic of the members of Army.ca is not as wavering as that of the political inclination of the Canadian electorate and could thus be left open longer to get as you suggested a wider sample. But this particular poll was open for more then 2 years. That’s all that I'm getting at in terms of closing it, but poll is now closed so that doesn’t matter anymore.

Zipperhead, the point you raised regarding tagging a smiley has been dually noted (applied to my earlier post) thank you for the input.

Regards,
Desert Fox

To allow the thread to return to established purpose, perhaps we should continue via PM? Or start one titled "Big Brother, Army.ca and your vital personal information"  ;) (JOKINGLY)  <------ Proof that  I'm a quick learner

Desert Fox said:
To allow the thread to return to established purpose, perhaps we should continue via PM? Or start one titled "Big Brother, Army.ca and your vital personal information"  ;) (JOKINGLY)  <------ Proof that  I'm a quick learner

Heh.  Good one.  Lets get on with the business of mauling left wingers, shall we?  ^-^

Thank you ZC for explaining it so eloquently. DF FYI the poll is still open but it is set so you may only vote once. Yes membership status will change and has changed but it basically reflects a members current status upon joining the site, should they decide to complete the optional poll.

Ex-D

Now that makes sence... thanks for the clearing that up...

Merry Christmas to all!

Hello, how are you all doin? im not in the army yet because my mom wouldnt sign the thing:( i was sad lol:) im a silly goose. but yeah:) 

bleedingvamp said:
Hello, how are you all doin? im not in the army yet because my mom wouldnt sign the thing:( i was sad lol:) im a silly goose. but yeah:)   
Checked out your web-site, hope you're prepared to give up the black eye make-up and suspected tongue ring I caught a glimpse of in one of the pics.

The Librarian said:
Checked out your web-site, hope you're prepared to give up the black eye make-up and suspected tongue ring I caught a glimpse of in one of the pics.

I too checked out the website and I suspect that's just the beginning of the things she might wanna give up! I think your Mom made a smart move there Vampire! ::)

IN HOC SIGNO said:
I too checked out the website and I suspect that's just the beginning of the things she might wanna give up! I think your Mom made a smart move there Vampire! ::)

I agree. I'm a mom so I tried to be nice in my post....but if I were her mom, there'd be an awful lot I'd be changing!!

Vern

And people call ME hostile?!  Nice reception there guys.... ::)

continuing small hijack

The Librarian said:
but if I were her mom, there'd be an awful lot I'd be changing!!

Vern

I'm curious, Vern, as a wanna-be mom/one day, isn't it difficult to impose change for an adolescent?
How do you do it ?

Back