• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US to close fast food in Afghan bases - Timmies & Greenbean will stay

This is more sinister than I thought.

I wonder if the US PX will kick out the Shady electronics guy, fake oakley & jewelry guy or stop selling all that crap like junk food, fake beer,  Xbox's and condoms.

What is open on the B'walk these days not counting the local boys....
Clockwise from
Timmies
Kabob House
Sea Can
Ice Cream
The Rocks (new Lebanese food, always busy) Opened May 1st
ATM's
Embroidery/badge shop
Phone centre
Mama's pizza
Deutcher PX
TGIFriday's (Naafi operated)
French PX
Barber shop
Green beans
Freedom tel

also Heroes now has 24 hr service

WrenchBender

Simian Turner said:
They would be included in "local boys"!! No?

Ahh, seen.  Didn't get the reference in my first skim of the post but you have me there.

That seems like only the American-run - and only a select few at that - places have been affected.

Is TGI Friday's (which was not open when I left) "safe" because it is NAAFI-run?

This whole schmozzle was a lot of loud noise for nothing - only a couple restaurants closed but more sprang up in their place.  There was literally no change that came out of this, guys just stopped going for whoppers and got schwarmas at the new Lebanese restaurant (which is really good).

All I know is that I didn't see much of KAF or any FOB for the tour and subsisted off of Roka noodles and the god-awful 08 IMP selection for months.  When I came to KAF it was nice to get some greasy fast food.

Oh well.

Infanteer said:
When I came to KAF it was nice to get some greasy fast food.
And that was my earlier point.  Though I lived and breathed Poo Pond for virtually my entire tour, I ate at BK exactly once.  I'm glad to hear that it's been filled.  I suppose it's true: nature DOES abhor vacuums.

Glad that Timmies stays open it was nice to get back from field and have a nice thirst of fresh coffee ..  ;D

Technoviking said:
...I suppose it's true: nature DOES abhor vacuums.

Stop talking like that, the tour is over and we can talk like actual people again!

Kentucky Fried Chicken is soon to open on the Boardwalk!  Makes me wonder if the Colonel outranked the General!  ;D

Apollo Diomedes said:
If that's true I'm putting my name in for tour.
Sorry, but if it's true, then only The RCR may deploy hence forth.  ;D

Technoviking said:
Sorry, but if it's true, then only The RCR may deploy hence forth.  ;D
Rations and camp followers in the same bucket?

eurowing said:
Kentucky Fried Chicken is soon to open on the Boardwalk!

They needed something to help clean out a month's worth of hard rats now that Burger King and Pizza Hut were gone.

Whats the source on the KFC opening? I heard that rumour in 07/08 when I was there, even saw a flyer posted about it.

I am your source.  The building is painted, signs are up.  I'll go to the boardwalk in a few days and see if they have posted opening dates.

I guess it all depends on General P and whether or not his command philosphpy is any different than Gen McC.

It will be interesting to see either decision, really.  Either he keeps the status quo that they are a distraction and that breaks the impression that they are different personalities, or he reverses the direction and then all the papers will jump on it because it will seem like conflicting orders.

eurowing said:
I am your source.  The building is painted, signs are up.  I'll go to the boardwalk in a few days and see if they have posted opening dates.
Better yet can you snap a picture?

Sure, next time I go for a Timmies, I'll inconvenience some electrons.

Back