• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US to close fast food in Afghan bases - Timmies & Greenbean will stay

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Top U.S. general in Afghanistan gives order: Close TGI Friday's
By DION NISSENBAUM McClatchy Newspapers
Article Link

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- By American standards, the boardwalk at Kandahar Airfield isn't much to write home about.

There's no roller coaster, mirror maze or carousel with unicorns. There's no cotton candy to buy, no candied apples and no annoying mimes trying to get out of imaginary boxes.

But this little square of Western culture in the Taliban heartland has served for years as a rare oasis for international forces embroiled in the ongoing Afghan war.

The Kandahar boardwalk now has a Burger King, a Subway sandwich shop, three cafes, several general stores, a Cold Stone Creamery, Oakley sunglasses outlet, a hockey rink (thanks to the Canadians, of course), a basketball court, and a tiny stage where members of Bachman-Turner Overdrive (the '70s Canadian band that brought the world "Takin' Care of Business" and "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet") recently performed on a cool southern Afghanistan evening.

The most recent addition is a TGI Friday's, complete with the Americana kitsch, Rihanna videos playing on the flat screen behind the bar (which serves no alcohol), fried mozzarella sticks and a life-size Yoda action figure with a light saber looking down on patrons from on high.

"The intent, it seems, is to create a surreal slice of Western material comfort where inhabitants can momentarily forget that they are living in one of the world's most benighted countries," Julius Cavendish recently wrote in The Independent, a British newspaper.

Well, now it's time to say goodbye to all that.

By the order of Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, the International Security Assistance Force, or ISAF, is shutting down most of these reminders of home.

"This is a war zone - not an amusement park," Command Sgt. Maj. Michael T. Hall recently wrote on the ISAF blog.

The decision is likely to prove unpopular with ISAF forces working and living in southern Afghanistan.
More on link

The new order exempts the Green Beans coffee house

I wonder if the Tim Hortons will be on the chopping block?  Judging from the line-ups normally encountered, I think not.

Rock concerts, hockey games and Americana kitsch in the Taliban heartland might not create the impression McChrystal is trying to convey that the U.S. has no intentions of transforming Afghanistan into the U.S.

So, does that mean no more USO tours and the equivalent from other countries' entertainers?  As for the hockey games, that would be an interesting one to see them stop.  ;D

War is hell.

~General William Tecumseh Sherman

;D

Awesome.  Maintenance of Morale.

I suppose everyone in KAF should wear full up Chem Warfare gear, you know, to remind that that this is a war.

I suppose also that the ramp ceremonies, the constant jets and helicopters coming and going, the rocket attacks, etc just don't do enough to remind people that there is a war on?

(I thought it was a counter-insurgency operation, not a "war" as such.)

I missed BTO????  Fridays doesn't impress me at all.  I won't miss it, but I imagine some will. 

Nice to see McClatchy wire svc catching up to Reuters, which covered this about five months ago
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/90120.0.html

Re:
Technoviking said:
I suppose also that the ramp ceremonies, the constant jets and helicopters coming and going, the rocket attacks, etc just don't do enough to remind people that there is a war on?

(I thought it was a counter-insurgency operation, not a "war" as such.)
here's an interesting quote from the Reuters' piece
.... Brigadier-General Daniel Ivan Schultz, the airfield's most senior U.S. commander, said frontline troops live in austere conditions and there was a perception that staff at Kandahar "don't do anything."

"We need to kill that perception," he said.
I leave it to those with more experience than I have to opine on who's "perception" is being referred to here, rightly or wrongly.

Also, here's a link to Command SGT-MAJ Hill's blog post referred to in the story so you can read the REST of the story in context (PDF attached in case the link doesn't work) - here's a bit more the post with more details and the rationale:
.... Many of you have heard that there are plans to shut down some of the “amenities” throughout Afghanistan.  This is not rumor. It is fact.  This is a warzone – not an amusement park.  From the moment GEN McChrystal and I arrived in Afghanistan last summer, we began looking for ways to do things more efficiently across the battlefield – the optimization of ISAF. This effort includes moving and reallocating resources to better accomplish our mission.

One of the ways we’re going to do that -- in order to accommodate the troop increase and get re-focused on the mission at hand -- is to cut back on some of the nonessentials. That includes some of the morale, welfare and recreation facilities throughout Afghanistan.  In the coming weeks and months, concessions such as Orange Julius, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen and Military Car Sales will close their doors. 

Other changes will not be so obvious. We will also reduce the amount of canned and bottled goods coming into country, as well as first-run movie showings and non-USO entertainment shows .... Closing these facilities will free up much-needed storage facilities at both Bagram and Kandahar, space which is critical as 30,000 additional American and up to 7,000 international troops flow into Afghanistan over the next several months ....

TGI Fridays only opened about 2 to 3 months ago.  It is brand new.

We heard the same bitches that come up about KAF about Da Nang, Quang Tri, Choi Hoi, Saigon, etc. (yesteryear) ......the troops stationed in these places were living in luxury compared to us in the boonies.... ::)

Well, gee.....we sure enjoyed going to China Beach, NCO clubs, girls, girls, etc....but it didn't kill us most times......

I haven't heard of any rabid abuse on a massive scale, so I think it will come back to bite them in the arse....

I'm confused as to how they can cancel karaoke and salsa dancing when they were organized and run by volunteers serving in KAF -- some of whom weren't even American.

One does have to wonder what Military Car Sales was doing in KAF.    ???  There didn't seem to be any mention of closing down the Russian massage parlour that AAFES runs.

I get it that they want to perhaps eliminate the perception of "inequality".  But, it's not just KAF-ites who enjoy those amenities.  And truth be told, though I was a KAF-ite for 7.5 months, the time I spent at the boardwalk was few and far between: I was too busy.  But, for troops coming in from the FOBs, they went to Burger King, etc, to enjoy a bit of "delight", to "get away from it all."  I'm pretty sure that now they (The Fobbits) will no more make fun of or deride the KAF-ites. ::)

eurowing said:
TGI Fridays only opened about 2 to 3 months ago.  It is brand new.
It wasn't even open when I was there in December last year.  That didn't last long.

Will the Americans also be closing the swimming facilities at Emerald Lake?

Meh.  Standard military behavior: if there's a way to suck the fun out of something, the military will.

I think the next move should be to make all shower water ice cold, you know, so you'll miss home that much more when your there.

Uhhh.....is that the showers for the Emerald Lake swim beach?  :)

Far be it from me to question a General and Comd SM, sitting in the glitz of Kabul, about their judgment of what spoils the troops in KAF should enjoy.  Someone with one or more stars approves these concessionaires' bids/contracts and will likely pay for breach of contract.  Meanwhile someone else will occupy the concession stand under the radar.  Like TechV, I too spent 7 months inside the KAF wire and found little comfort from the presence of BK, Subway, Tim's (I don't drink coffee - ever) or Pizza Hut, but I know the Yanks and others sure made the most of the artery clogging food.

....according to CanWest/Global:
Canada's Tim Hortons coffee shop at Kandahar Airfield will remain open despite a shutdown of Pizza Hut, Burger King and other U.S. outlets deemed too luxurious by top American commanders of NATO troops.

"Kandahar Airfield Tim Hortons is an initiative to support our men and women in uniform for serving in Afghanistan," Defence Department spokeswoman Megan MacLean said. "There are no plans to close the Tim Hortons."

Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, who leads the International Security Assistance Force, has ordered most fast-food outlets on the boardwalk inside the airfield base shuttered ....

Actually, if this turns out to actually happen, I will miss TGI Fridays.  It will mean the line up at the DFAC will be just that much longer. 

"Nothing is too good for the troops, and that's exactly what they'll get: nothing!"

I will play devils advocate here and say...Good.

Most on here seem to have missed a critical point in the original article which ran along the lines of 'optimization of ISAF assets', which I read to say 'trimming the fat'. how much time, energy, effort and money is spent to ensure these fast food chains are kep supplied, watered and air conditioned? Is it really that critical to troops morale? I can live 8 months without fast food. Surely others can. There is wide enough choice of what to eat (for free, and remarkably good tasting too) at the varieties of DFACs scattered about.

Back