• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US to close fast food in Afghan bases - Timmies & Greenbean will stay

Petamocto said:
Or how many variations of "rice and stew slop" can you possibly have?

And what about that Jesus cake!

And let us not forget the so called scrambled eggs. It became a betting game for us to see how much water was in the tray they served them from.

No more having it your way: Burger King, Pizza Hut gone from Kandahar Airfield
By: Tara Brautigam, THE CANADIAN PRESS 30/04/2010 5:30 AM
Article Link

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Soldiers who crave a Whopper with cheese at Kandahar Airfield won't be able to have it their way any longer.

As of Saturday, the Burger King, Pizza Hut and Subway outlets at the heart of the sprawling military base in Afghanistan will be shut down on the orders of the top NATO commander in Afghanistan.

Cpl. Stanly Pilon, a 32-year-old vehicle maintenance worker with Canada's National Support Element, said he will miss the morale boost the fast-food fare gives to battle-weary soldiers.

"I'm kind of sad," Pilon said between bites of a Subway sandwich.

"It's kind of a place that we come just to get away from work and the chaos sometimes that happens around here."

U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal launched a review last year of the amenities available at the Kandahar and Bagram airfields, and concluded that the fast-food joints posed a distraction from the task at hand, an ISAF spokesman said.

"Gen. McChrystal looked around and said, 'There are some of these things that at this point in the mission are not keeping us as focused on the mission as we need to be,"' said Lt.-Col. Michael Lawhorn.

"We're very much in a war."

With the surge of 30,000 more American troops, additional space was at a premium, Lawhorn added.

He said some troops may grumble over losing such creature comforts as a Pepperoni Lover's pizza, but the majority of them would understand that it's for the greater good

"Will some service members have their morale impacted? Sure. But by and large, they understand that difference between must-have and nice-to-have," he said.

"That's not to say that these things won't return for the future."

McChrystal's order also affects a few shops selling various concessions and jewelry.

The restaurants, which have been around for about five years, have a pared-down menu of what's on offer at home. For some, their greasy treats provided a welcome respite after months of cafeteria servings on the base or military rations out in the battlefield.

"It doesn't really promote healthy living, but on the other side of the coin, I'm outside a lot," said Capt. Drew Arions of the Ontario-based 1st Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment.

"If you have a vehicle coming in for maintenance, everybody throws in some money and the guy that's coming in, he goes and makes a run to Burger King and brings it out to the (forward operating base)."

Pte. Matthew Mason, also with 1st Battalion, said he believes it's time for the restaurants to go.

"If you've been outside and you've just been eating rations, it's good to clear out the system with that Burger King or Pizza Hut, but it is distracting," Mason said.

Moments later, his thoughts turn to another iconic institution from the West - the distinctively Canadian Tim Hortons outlet, a favourite with soldiers of all nationalities.

"I hope they don't take Tim Hortons away."
More on link

This still pisses me off to no end.  "WE'RE AT WAR!"  Oh, really?  Yes, we have troops in combat, but are WE at war?  Let me see:
HLTA is priority number one.
More staffers at the expense of bayonets.

Anyway, 7.5 months at KAF, 1 time at Burger King for me.  A handful of times at Tim's.  It was frequented more by those coming in from the FOBs, looking to relax for a bit, to get a small reminder of home.

I suppose now to focus on "the war", we can end the logistical drain that is HLTA.

Oh, wait, I thought that they were serious...  ::)

EDIT TO ADD: If it was only about "Healthy Living", then we wouldn't drive on the roads over there, breathe the air over there, or get involved in all those nasty firefights.  I mean, they can really affect your health!

::)

Technoviking said:
This still pisses me off to no end.  "WE'RE AT WAR!"  Oh, really?  Yes, we have troops in combat, but are WE at war?  Let me see:
HLTA is priority number one.
You are confusing different national commands.
Canada is keeping Timmies & HLTA.
The US is closing its shops & I don't think HLTA ever hit thier higher priorety list.

Yes, true about being "at war" and we are "conducting operations, no change from UNFICYP in our application of the No. 1 Priority: leave"

How wild does this conspiricy sound.

Lots of soldiers eat at the fast food places.
(Once I ate every meal for 3 weeks straight when I was in camp- defac's were overfilling and running out of food)

When you sign in to the defac (And they will seriously chase after you if you don't sign in) the company who supplies the food charges the US government(or whoever) a flat rate.  It's like $30 or $40 a meal I think. I can't remember, it's a lot. So whether you have a huge steak fries 3 pop and some lobster OR an apple juice and some toast - the company charges the government the same.

What company provides the food? It used to be KBR. KBR is a sub company (not sure if that's the right word)  of Haliburton.  I'm not sure if the food company switched to 'Supreme', that sounds familiar for some reason. I know they provide fuel.

Either way, what's the possibility that the chain of command got pressure to close down the restaurants around KAF because the company charging $30 for an apple a piece of chicken and a coke were loosing too much money form troops going to the boardwalk and buying supper (thus not signing into the defac)?

That is a much better explanation that this stupidity.
-concluded that the fast-food joints posed a distraction from the task at hand.
-There are some of these things that at this point in the mission are not keeping us as focused on the mission as we need to be,"'

With the surge of 30,000 more American troops, additional space was at a premium, Lawhorn added.
And the defacs are already swamped with people and can hardly keep up.  Getting rid of alternate "dining options" is a good idea?

He said some troops may grumble over losing such creature comforts as a Pepperoni Lover's pizza, but the majority of them would understand that it's for the greater good
He's either RTFO or someones in bed with the food providing companies over there.

Some very good points, I forgot all about that angle.  Ive seen similiar 'policies' on bases in Europe...

Not sure whether I should post a picture about "Conspiracy Theory" or "X Files".

Post a graph of the projected profit increase Supreme (?) is expecting to rake in per month now that the competition is out of the game.

Flawed Design said:
Post a graph of the projected profit increase Supreme (?) is expecting to rake in per month now that the competition is out of the game.
I never thought of that angle, BUT I can see the point. Interesting.

And I detected a bit of hypocrisy from the young man who doesn't want Tim Hortons closed.
What's good for the goose is.....

X-files%20-%20The%20Truth%20Is%20Out%20There%5B2%5D.png

Petamocto said:
Not sure whether I should post a picture about "Conspiracy Theory" or "X Files".

If you think military or military-influenced business outlets, either in NATO countries or in other countries, are free from unethical business practices, then you need to open your eyes a little... 

I didn't say anything of the sort.  I'm sure all sorts of decision are made a dozen rank levels above me that would surprise me.

However, the thought that they would get the ISAF Commander and RSM to make a statement like (to paraphrase) "We're at war and don't need distractions like Burger King and SubWay" in order to cover up the Supreme messes making more money is a big straw to grasp.

Petamocto said:
don't need distractions like Burger King and SubWay" in order to cover up the Supreme messes making more money is a big straw to grasp.

Not if the contract was let with a guarantee of x meals a day at such and such a cost. If only half as many meals are being consumed, but government is still being stiffed for the full tab because of the contract.....it does seem plausible...

It is not just food outlets that are closing.  Several AFFES outlets including the useful Alteration Shop are closed.  I could wander about the boardwalk when I have some time to spare and give a more detailed list.  I am actually a bit miffed about the alteration shop as I need a zipper replaced.

Where is everyone going to get their non-regulation shoulder patches now??

How is 2 Platoon going to be known as "The Rabid Wolverines" without that shop?

Flawed Design said:
What company provides the food? It used to be KBR. KBR is a sub company (not sure if that's the right word)  of Haliburton.  I'm not sure if the food company switched to 'Supreme', that sounds familiar for some reason. I know they provide fuel.

KBR (Kellog, Brown, and Root) was a susidiary of Haliburton and then sold through an IPO in 2007. They had revenues of $11 billion last year. Supreme is privately held and based in Switzerland. AAFES seems to own a lot of franchises (BK, Subway, etc.) that are operated on bases, but I don't know about KAF in particular. They operate as a charitable organization and return a lot of the profit they earn to support US military MWR programs. Their revenue last year was $8 billion. I think I'd rather my money going to AAFES than a US public corporation that has en extremely questionable background.

Petamocto said:
Where is everyone going to get their non-regulation shoulder patches now??

At the embroidery shop - unless that's gone, too.

Loachman said:
At the embroidery shop - unless that's gone, too.

Ahhh, sorry I was getting that confused with the tailor.

Once they closed the Thai massage parlour I stopped going to the boardwalk anyway.  This is war, afterall!

Back