• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

You know what, being a good Canadian (mostly politically agnostic), a person like that would probably get my vote ;)

Moi aussi! If the Libs would chuck Trudno and Freeland in the trash, they would have me sold that they have what it takes to effectively run this Country.

I have a question:

How much fuel does this thing use in an hour? Just curious.
You don't want to know 😉.

Federal Reserve Bitcoin Meme GIF

I have a question:

How much fuel does this thing use in an hour? Just curious.
According to an estimate published in the Norwegian media — 5600 litres an hour.

Soon, at least the P-8s. E-7s would be added capability, but we’ll see how the direction from our remote overlords plays out.

Or perhaps we will continue to man NORAD and NATO AWACS?

Another unique aspect of NORAD is the fact that Canadian and U.S. personnel are spread throughout units that support the NORAD mission on both sides of the border. In the three regions, there are USAF personnel stationed at CANR headquarters, and Canadians at CONR, ANR and NORAD headquarters. Canadians are also posted with squadrons flying the E-3 Sentry Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) aircraft at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma and Elmendorf Air Force Base in Alaska, working with the air defence sectors in CONR and serving in units at other bases across the U.S. The same is true for Americans serving in CANR – it is truly an integrated system between the two militaries.

Soon, at least the P-8s. E-7s would be added capability, but we’ll see how the direction from our remote overlords plays out.
There hasn’t been any real commotion about Canadian needs for E-7’s down here that I’ve heard voiced anywhere (unlike the P-8). I suspect that is an asset we don’t see a need for you to have.
The AWACS duties in Canada have been always conducted by USAF NORAD tasked AC.

There hasn’t been any real commotion about Canadian needs for E-7’s down here that I’ve heard voiced anywhere (unlike the P-8). I suspect that is an asset we don’t see a need for you to have.
I was wondering about its ELINT and SIGINT capacity as well as its Battle Management for surface application rather than its pure AWACS role.

I was wondering about its ELINT and SIGINT capacity as well as its Battle Management for surface application rather than its pure AWACS role.
If the CP-140 can do ISR stuff over land now, I'm assuming the P8 could also perform that role if required?

(RCAF types, how well is the 140 doing in that role so far?)

According to an estimate published in the Norwegian media — 5600 litres an hour.

Which is miniscule and inconsequential compared to the fuel burned by commercial airliners every day.

🍻

It’s not…if it includes infra, FSims, initial provisioning and in-service support for the first 20 years.

Reference point: $5B for 15 CH-147F Chinooks….just big green helicopter without missiles.

$7B for 16 5th Gen fighters isn’t bad at all…
So I am curious what the next batch will go for. With a price of $80M will it just include what is needed spares wise for the aircraft? So Down to $3.5Billion for the next batch of 16? Seems like a funny way of accounting/announcing

You would think the Liberals would want us to have some E-7's, it means being able to contribute without any messy combat and you get to sit near the adult table.

You would think the Liberals would want us to have some E-7's, it means being able to contribute without any messy combat and you get to sit near the adult table.
Yes probably something that Canada should have invested in in the past as well.

I don’t think it’s an easy capability to just try to grow from scratch though, and frankly I suspect it would cut into the much needed P-8 acquisition.

Yes probably something that Canada should have invested in in the past as well.

I don’t think it’s an easy capability to just try to grow from scratch though, and frankly I suspect it would cut into the much needed P-8 acquisition.

@Eye In The Sky

I got the sense that the CP-140s had been tottering along that path over Syria and Iraq.

So I am curious what the next batch will go for. With a price of $80M will it just include what is needed spares wise for the aircraft? So Down to $3.5Billion for the next batch of 16? Seems like a funny way of accounting/announcing
I suspect it’s more palatable as a bunch of small purchases. Doesn’t seem as newsworthy.

The P-8 can do that too. But I’d say a RQ-4 could probably do that better…

There are many other aspects the E-3 and E-7 offer than the 140 and P-8 don’t do, but again Canadians fly on USAF NORAD AWACS already.

There's a difference between riding shotgun for your buddy and driving your own car.

Back