• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Mountain and Ironman Merged Thread

Congratulations to all. :salute: :cdn:

CDN Aviator;

It was held prior to 97, If my memory is correct it started in 1994. Petawawa sent a team of 10 to the MM in 95 which I was a part of. It was in combat pants and boots and the portage included the 90lb aluminum canoes. I think the rucks were 40lbs, 2lbs lighter then Pet Ironman.

I remember sitting in the pre race meeting with the unit organizers and unit reps. They were outlining the timings for pre positioning of staff and equipment. One of the organizing senior NCO's was stating that no one would break the 6 hr mark so I stood up and asked them to please position themselves 15min faster then indicated, he looked at me and asked why? I replied because I am going to break the 6hr mark. LOL He agreed to move the timings up.

My time that year 5:45  Dave Cooper finished second with a time of 5:58 I believe. With a few others around that mark, they were happy that they changed the timings.

Another note for this event is that I sustained a concussion 3 days prior after going over my handlebars while doing a group ride of the course, a visit to the MRI had them advising me not to compete but I convinced them otherwise.

Congrats again to all :pT:
Andrew

Spent the day on the water taking photos and enjoying my leave in my kayak.

The winner hit the water at about 08:20.  The next competitor came in some time afterward.  The winner gained another 8 minute lead while on the water.  Turns out he used to paddle on the national team.

The faster times in MM compared to Pet's Ironman could probably be attributed to the river current and that more than 60% of the competitors actually seemed to know how to paddle.  Was talking to one of the competitors on the water and she said they came out a few times and even did some pool workouts.  The few times I watched the Ironman it seemed that the number of people who had paddling experience was very small.  In fact, some people lost that race on the water.

The increase in temperature while most competitors were on the water was also a benefit.  Although there was some good hobbling coming off the water, it was nowhere near as bad as I've seen in the past.

Good job to all.  Enjoy the long weekend.

Friend of mine came second in last year's Ironman. He said he would have been 30 minutes faster, but if you're too quick and get to the canoeing early, the Ottawa River is covered in peasoup fog. He and the leader both got lost, and ended up downstream quite a ways.

Strike,

For the water, it's all about how much the unit supports it.

I was very fortunate at 3 RCR to have the unit support the team so much, because we got the days to train, the canoes to use, and the funds for supplements.

Good point too about the faster you are the more advantages you have.  Everything you do is cooler in the day, and obviously doing something for 5 hours is less work for the body than 8 hours (assuming they are both expending the same effort but the 5 hour guy is more fit).

Petamocto said:
For the water, it's all about how much the unit supports it.

I was very fortunate at 3 RCR to have the unit support the team so much, because we got the days to train, the canoes to use, and the funds for supplements.

Not really.  If someone is really dedicated to doing well, they will find time to train on their own.  You don't even need to get on the water to learn proper stroke technique.  A pool and a paddle is enough.

As for the second comment, I don't think you got what I was saying.  The warming temperatures meant that the competitors' legs didn't cramp up as badly while they were on the water.

Boots vers shoes make a huge difference with time, also getting to the water early does have its disadvantage but then again I had a map and compass with me at all times...

Strike said:
...As for the second comment, I don't think you got what I was saying...

Ahh, you are correct (edit) I did mis-read your statement.

I saw temps and early times and thought you were talking about the faster competitors getting more of the race done in the early morning hours before it got hot/humid thus harder.

During the 16 Sep 10 Ironman Competition I noticed there were a number of uniformed paparazzi out on the course snapping shots of everyone.  I was wondering if anyone out there had any links to albums from that race or contacts of individuals that have photos from the race.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you're in Pet get a hold of base imaging.  They can send you the link to the folder on the shared drive.  It's probably already been uploaded.

I've been monitoring ArmyNews and The Mapleleaf.  Nothing yet...

I'm not in Pet so I'll have to determine a contact at Base imagining I guess.  Where is base Imaging located?

Side note:
What exactly is the Ironman? I mean event wise, it's a rucksack march, canoe for a few Kms, carry the canoe for a few KMs? 

It's a fun-filled 50 km journey that starts at 4am: 32km rucksack march, 4km canoe portage, 8 km paddle on the Ottawa River, ending with a 6km "run" (still with ruck) to Dundonald Hall.  ;D

This year's stats are available here.
Note that they stop timing after 12 hours -- there were still about 30 competitors out there.

Just curious if anyone has any training plans for the Ironman/Mountain Man events?  I found a great powerpoint presentation a few months back that got into the details on how best to train for these events but now I can't seem to find it on the drive or my stick!

Thanks

Hey all, Im doing the Ironman this year and they have opened up fundraising for Tim Horton's Kids Camp. I know you all like timmies, and who doesnt like helping kids.

Im asking you to make a small donation. 50 cents. Whatever you feel like.

I dont much care if you sponsor me, or just donate direct to the fund.

Link to donate: http://thcf.akaraisin.com/pledge/Participant/Home.aspx?seid=5967&mid=1&pid=1082589

If this is in the wrong spot, or if I have broken a rule feel free to let me know/rectify. Thanks troops 

Here is the website for the Army's real  ;)  military endurance event:

http://www.sportstats.ca/searchResults.xhtml?eventname=Petawawa+Ironman+Event

Looks like someone screwed up and left out the units of some of the competitors  ;D

Great race to watch for sure.

Competed in it twice when it was the SSF Ironman. Finished 22nd and 14th on those yrs. Cbt Boots and rifle were included at the time.

Congratulations to all the participants!  Some great times posted, and some folks who were feeling the pain but persevered.  Well done to all!

Regards
G2G

Back