• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Mountain and Ironman Merged Thread

No the ironman is not a sanctioned event, it has nothing to do with conventional triathlons. It consists of a 32 km forced march, followed by a 4km canoe portage, 8km paddle in the canoe and finishes with a 6 km forced march, totalling 50km. All done with a rucksack weighing in at about 40lb.

Steel Horse said:
Is this an actual Ironman sanctioned event?  Is this the actual name of the event?  I volunteered for an actual Ironman event this year.  I couldn't find it on their event list, if you can, you should let somebody in the know, that "Ironman" is a registered trademark.

I wouldn't want anybody to get in trouble.

Since the SSF and 2 CMBG have annually held an IRONMAN competition for probably as long as you've been alive, "somebody"  probably already knows about "trademark infringement".

From another thread, The Merged Ironman Thread:

Bruce Monkhouse said:
. . . This was almost the same as the SSF Ironman Challenge that we used to do in Pet., except we used real canoes and not sandbags and combats not running gear. Anyways just curious if there is anyone else around from "those days" who did this race. [I did it in 84 and 86]
CHEERS

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
Who won the team event?  (Unfortunately, I can't get fast enough internet to see the results).  Thanks!

IIRC, 3 RCR won the Major Unit and 427 SOAS won the minor.

Hello all,

I'm doing MM09 and I have a few questions concerning the sandbag carry.  What type of carrying systems/rigs have people who've done it have used in the past?  Which ones worked out well for you and which ones sucked?  Just looking for some feedback, as this will be my first time running the race.

Thanks in advance!

I've seen a few methods over the years.

1- Sandbags in kitbag and draped over neck.

2- Both strapped to the ruck.  I did this one the first time I did MM and quite frankly it sucked.  the ruck was wayyyyy to heavy to get up from and I lost tons of time.  I actually did better with one in the ruck and carried the other one the last 1 1/2 km.

3- One in the ruck and then another in a pre-made bag hanging by mini caribeaners in the front.  This one I used the last time and it rocked.  I made excellent time on the sandbag carry and felt good the entire way.  We had the mat tech make them up for who ever wanted them.

The biggest thing I can say is practice practice practice.  Not just the sand bags but putting your paddles together etc etc.  Lots of people lose tons of time with their transitions, when a bit of practice would have made it smooth on race day.

Thanks MJP, that last rig definitely sounds like a good idea...will have to bring that one up for sure.

I've heard about that transition time thing as well, having never seen a MM competition I'm going to assume that there's a lot more to smooth transitioning then meets the eye.

EDMONTON - Edmonton's elite soldiers completed a gruelling 50-km land and water race to determine the fittest of the fit.
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/09/03/15233616.html

Congratulations!

I've done it twice (1998 and 2000) and can honestly say that it was harder than i had imagined.

I wish i could be that fast  :eek:

CDN Aviator said:
I've done it twice (1998 and 2000) and can honestly say that it was harder than i had imagined.

I wish i could be that fast  :eek:

Yeah, but you're old now ;D

The original race, Ironman in Petawawa, is still harder. But Mountain Man is a grueling race

As a former Ironman competitor, I must congratulate all those who complete either.

Even the Pet one is only harder because of combat boots though, so even its not as hard as it used to be when it was FFO.

The distances are all generally similar though, but 5 hours covering 50 km including a portage and canoe is flying however you're covering it.  Typically the Ironman winner is approx 6 hours (higher or lower usually depending on how humid it is that day).

I did it in 2006 and I was the last guy of the top third at 7:43, and that was after months of dedicated all-day training (the CO was furious that the Engineers had won the year before so he stacked the deck).

I can not imagine knocking 1/3 off the time I got.  Averaging 10km in an hour is hard enough with nothing on just running, so basically that person ran the entire thing, and I'm not talking jogged but ran.

Saddly, my best time was just over 8 hours....... :-[

I did worse the second time around.

My friend, 8 hours is nothing to be ashamed of.  Just doing it is something that 90% of the CF never attempts, and 8 hours is still a top half time for those who do.

I wonder why it is only the 13th annual mountain Man competition, we were doing it every year in Calgary before we moved to Edmonton ???

Tank Troll said:
I wonder why it is only the 13th annual mountain Man competition, we were doing it every year in Calgary before we moved to Edmonton ???

Because it became the Edmonton Garrison Mountain Man in 1997.

Shamrock said:
Because it became the Edmonton Garrison Mountain Man in 1997.

Well, both my 1998 and 2000 MM coins says "1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group Mountain Man Challenge" so i'm not sure where this "13th annual" comes from either. The 1997 MM challenge IIRC was conductued in Calgary even though most 1 CMBG units had already moved to Edmonton. Was the MM challenge ran prior to 1997 ?

PPCLI didn't place first, because the pepper-potted the entire thing  :p.  Just kidding, congrats to those that participated.

Back