• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Mountain and Ironman Merged Thread

Just like the subject states, I'm looking for you're personal stories and some training tips.

Thanks!

The 2013 Petawawa Iron Man is underway.  Track progress at:

http://www.sportstats.ca/displayResults.xhtml?racecode=103794

As of this moment, the first person has crossed the finish line in 6:11:21.

Towards_the_gap said:
Is it a two day event again? Seems to be not an awful lot of competitors this year.

One day.  By my count, 202 participants.

Oh, and the CO & RSM of the RCD finished before the CO & RSM of CSOR.  So, if you want a standard of fitness to aspire to, go Armoured, not special forces  >:D

EDIT: Thanks for the correction, T2B.

Well this seems to be the only thread on this subject.

I tried searching "site:army.ca petawawa ironman -mountain" to miss the mega thread but didn't find much.

The only real question I have is about the canoe portion. I had someone tell me that it was a two man thing but that didn't make any sense to me. Furthermore I assume the canoes are your standard 15'' two seaters and that throw your ruck up front to help balance out the weight?

Also does anyone have a workup plan or any tips? Right now I'm just rucking on my own time and gradually increasing my distance.

Your thread is a little confusing as you also searched for "Mountain", but Im assuming you are asking about the Ironman. I have completed the Ironman twice so I will speak from my experiences.

The canoe portion is 8km and is completed like all of the Ironman on an individual basis. I dont remember the exact size of the canoes, but they are your standard two seat canoes that you can rent from any camping or outdoor store. Most people sit in the front of the canoe facing the rear; this is because the canoe wont sit so much out of the water. And yes most people will place the ruck in the opposite end of the canoe to balance the weight.

As for workup tips. These are my own tips and your mileage may very. I rucked at most twice a week. Spent the rest of the time doing long distance running (up to 26km) and some cross fit.

Its very important to work your feet up to the distance required for the Ironman, but just rucking wont get you all the training you need. Squats, lunges, and anything that works your back and core will help out a lot as well. You will be carrying a lot of weight on those shoulders, then youll get to the portage. You dont want to be worrying about how sore your feet AND how sore your shoulders and back are.

And for me the two biggest things that cut my time on my second race, was getting a lot of time paddling to bring my time to under an hour for the 8km canoe portion, and practicing portaging the canoe AFTER a long ruck march. Me personally, I find portaging pretty damn easy with a ruck on. But its not the same thing after 32 km's.

Best of luck training. 

HULK_011 said:
Me personally, I find portaging pretty damn easy with a ruck on. But its not the same thing after 32 km's.

I went to some very dark places in the recesses of my soul during the portage.  Nothing can prepare you for that after 32 kms, except doing it after 32 kms.................

Have fun!

Back