• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The C7 Assault Rifle, M16, & AR15 family (C7A1, C7A2, C7 replacment, and C7 vs M16)

recceguy said:
When they ask why you want a restricted firearm, you're going to say 'Target shooting' ( never, ever say for 'collecting'). They will then ask what club you belong to and to provide proof. From this info they'll determine if the range is restricted capable and issue you a registration certificate. Go to your club, give them the info required, and they will apply for your ATT.

Now, if you need a short term ATT, to get it from the shop, post box, etc, you can call the CFO office and request one to get the gun home. IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S IN THE PACKAGE ;) If you go to the Post Office, pick up a non descript box, without knowing the contents til you get home and open it, just toss it in the trunk and go home.

Interesting, might I inquire which province are you a resident of? In Kwebek we do the admin. I email the CFO my LTATT application every year and they email me it back. My range has nothing to do with it.

Ontario. Our CFO is a Nazi and requires the club to provide the paperwork in order to prove your membership. It also doesn't look, now, like he's going to get replaced, as we had hoped, under a new Premier.

YMMV

Wow man....and I thought we had it bad. That is just ridiculous. My condolences for dealing with Mr. Wyatt and for your recent election as well. You'd think a public servant tasked with administrating the F.A. with federal money would be subject to reprisals from the federal minister of public safety after his many childish fits up to and including his refusal to apply C-19.

I called my Alberta CFO the other day, had my Long Term ATT (LTATT) sent to me by email within 10 minutes.

'Merica / 'Berta

Bzzliteyr said:
I called my Alberta CFO the other day, had my Long Term ATT (LTATT) sent to me by email within 10 minutes.

'Merica / 'Berta

Wow how very modern!

No doubt they will also call the new Ares Defense rifle a "AR variant" and restrict it.

ares-scr-hero-e1397168216773.jpg

It's a black gun, so it looks assaultish and should be restricted or prohibited. /sarcasm

Colin P said:
No doubt they will also call the new Ares Defense rifle a "AR variant" and restrict it.

ares-scr-hero-e1397168216773.jpg

According to the product specs, it takes standard AR-15 uppers. Indeed there is no doubt it will be classified an AR-15 variant.

The only hope is that the lower carries the serial number and is the "firearm" and the lower is clearly not a AR nor does it function like one.

Hopefully the term ''variant'' will be defined/removed/fixed when the government makes its announcement this summer.

The ammo source is offering free shipping. Buy it from them and pick up a case of bulk ammo at the same time! The only question now is, can you afford to shoot every weekend?

Yeah, at $300 for 1120 rounds, every weekend definitely wouldn't be an option. That's the cheap stuff, too.

RedcapCrusader said:
I have the DDM4v7. Its really awesome, but yes 6.8 is expensive and difficult to find in bulk. I have to order from out of province... Shipping really kills the wallet too.

The 6.8 Rem SPCII is slightly larger than 5.56 and provides more stopping power. It was trialled by the US Navy SEALS but was never adopted because the difference between 5.56mmNATO and 6.8 Rem does not outweigh interoperability with other services and militaries so the 5.56 was retained.

Sorry one last tangential question:  My understanding is that after Mogadishu there was a renewed interest in "more stopping power than the 5.56" which led to more interest in cartridges like the 6.8mm. Although I've seen a number of AR's in 6.8, Grendel and 300 whisper/blackout I don't think I've ever seen mention of an accompanying squad automatic weapon which would be required to complete an all-intermediate cartridge unit.  Has anyone like FN ever developed such a weapon?

Thanks again, Matthew.

KAC SR-15 E3 IWS 16'' wearing a cmmg 16'' 22LR conversion upper. The KAC 556 upper is pictured above.

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Sorry one last tangential question:  My understanding is that after Mogadishu there was a renewed interest in "more stopping power than the 5.56" which led to more interest in cartridges like the 6.8mm. Although I've seen a number of AR's in 6.8, Grendel and 300 whisper/blackout I don't think I've ever seen mention of an accompanying squad automatic weapon which would be required to complete an all-intermediate cartridge unit.  Has anyone like FN ever developed such a weapon?

Thanks again, Matthew.

Yes -- FN did 6.8 SAW's (well barrel and bolt kits). 
Other companies have done .300BK LMG's  ;)

Currently there are some good ammunition natures available in 5.56mm, as well many SOF elements have deployed 762 guns into their small elements.

6.8 is dead other than a few folks still trying to beat a drum.
  It was abysmal from a SAW beyond 400m, and it really needs an intermediate platform weapon as a host.

Realistically if one was starting from a fresh sheet of canvas you would probably go one of two routes.
  .300BK 9" gun
14.5-16" 7.62 gun 
both integrally suppressed

or if you did not want a split armament
14.5"-16" .260 type gun (once again integrally suppressed).
*could be .260Rem, 7-08, 6XC etc. an intermediate cartridge design.

Walking a step further a 7mm Case Telescope round  ;D

All of the 6.5/6.8/etc cartridges that were designed had, in my opinion, a fatal flaw.

They were compromise cartridges not designed to be the best, but simply "better, while limited to fitting into a standard M-16 Magazine well opening"

There are numerous cartridges that can be argued to be "better" than the 5.56x45mm NATO round, but, within the limitations of not having to change the lower receivers, the best that could be done was compromises, and that means they were all essentially doomed from the start.  (IN MY OPINION.)

If you remove the requirement to keep the lower receiver the 'same' and magazine profile the 'same', you then move into a change of small arms platform...which means that you're looking at re-equipping or re-arming an entire military....and the various trials over the years have come to the general conclusion that in order to justify that magnitude of cost (not just replacing the weapons themselves, but the entire training, maintenance, and support system behind the weapons) you have see an improvement in capability that is not incremental, but generational.

The 'improvement' in capability of a 6.5 or 6.8 in an AR platform is an incremental change.

Going to CT ammo where you see a considerable reduction in ammo weight for equal performance downrange is almost a generational improvement, but the cost of switching is so high that it's got to be a fully developed system.

Just my thoughts....feel free to shoot 'em full of holes.  (I expect KevinB might be able to do so with some accuracy.)

NS

KevinB said:
Currently there are some good ammunition natures available in 5.56mm (...).

Yes I had read this a while back, mostly interesting :

The most expeditious solution to improve terminal performance for current 5.56 mm carbines is to abandon M855 and adopt a consistent performing “Barrier Blind” combat load specifically designed for carbine use as the standard issue U.S. military 5.56 mm ammunition.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Back