• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I failed an economics course, and I was asked about it. I answered truthfully, and I'm not sure if it affected my application one way or another.

Magravan said:
I failed an economics course, and I was asked about it. I answered truthfully, and I'm not sure if it affected my application one way or another.

If I had to guess, which is exactly what I am about to do, I would guess that how you answer it is more important than what the answer is; that is to say if you make up lames excuses about how it wasn't your fault it will look as if you are immature and perhaps not ready to be and officer. If you own up to it and say you have learned from your mistake, it will show maturity and perhaps a bit of leadership, no? Of course this is just a guess.

Cheers!

old man neri said:
If I had to guess, which is exactly what I am about to do, I would guess that how you answer it is more important than what the answer is; that is to say if you make up lames excuses about how it wasn't your fault it will look as if you are immature and perhaps not ready to be and officer. If you own up to it and say you have learned from your mistake, it will show maturity and perhaps a bit of leadership, no? Of course this is just a guess.

Cheers!

I had some family problems and couldn't get high marks in university. Should I go ahead and tell them that or should I think of another excuse cuz this sounds too lame!!!!

northbiker said:
I had some family problems and couldn't get high marks in university. Should I go ahead and tell them that or should I think of another excuse cuz this sounds too lame!!!!

That was precisely my answer. A good follow up is to describe how these same problems will not affect your current interests in the same way. As I said before, tell the truth. A lie you'd have to keep track of on top of the real event... With the truth you'll have a more solid memory to draw from, and it will show.

Just tell them why you weren't able to do it, and why you are able to do it now.

northbiker said:
Does anyone have any good suggestions to improve my chances of getting into Pilot trade?

I was told "They'll let almost anyone put it on their application if they can get it in the CFAT"...

Sim time or actual flying experience will be very beneficial to 'getting it'... Pass Aircrew Selection, and you're on your way.

Actually, becoming a pilot isn't very difficult, it costs a minimum of about 6500$, 10000$ on average for your PPL.  Becoming a military pilot is the difficult part.  I failed pilot qualifications, and my eyes WERE 20/20 all my life, but I don't know if they will be that way for long ( :(), so I have to get my PPL anyways, but I am opting to switch to the combat arms during next year's VRs, I have my heart set on Engineer Officer now, if my vision is still up to par once I'm set to renew my contract, and I've gotten my PPL, we'll look at pilot for then, if it is at all possible.  But fill out the application form, it's free, it hardly takes any time, and you'll never know unless you tried.

Kid_X said:
Actually, becoming a pilot isn't very difficult, it costs a minimum of about 6500$, 10000$ on average for your PPL.  Becoming a military pilot is the difficult part.  I failed pilot qualifications, and my eyes WERE 20/20 all my life, but I don't know if they will be that way for long ( :(), so I have to get my PPL anyways, but I am opting to switch to the combat arms during next year's VRs, I have my heart set on Engineer Officer now, if my vision is still up to par once I'm set to renew my contract, and I've gotten my PPL, we'll look at pilot for then, if it is at all possible.  But fill out the application form, it's free, it hardly takes any time, and you'll never know unless you tried.

For what reason did they reject you for pilot position?????

They did not say, it's a computer generated score that lets you know if you qualify or not.  They will give you a book to learn the instrument panel of a specific aircraft, and they have a few simulators that you must fly to certain criteria.  All this is done in Trenton during the ASC (Aircrew selection). That will be booked for you once you have applied.

Kid_X said:
They did not say, it's a computer generated score that lets you know if you qualify or not.  They will give you a book to learn the instrument panel of a specific aircraft, and they have a few simulators that you must fly to certain criteria.  All this is done in Trenton during the ASC (Aircrew selection). That will be booked for you once you have applied.

And how much time do you get to study those instruments before your test??????

Weeks, those instruments aren't a problem, it's flying the thing that's the test.

northbiker said:
And how much time do you get to study those instruments before your test??????

You get a complete study package explaining everything weeks and weeks ahead of ACS when and if you get booked. It will explain everything you need to know.

Some of us got our package barely a week before the test was to happen... And knowing the book inside and out might prevent you from making a mistake that could mean the difference between passing and failing. Know your stuff, and then know it better. If you don't have your PPL, your chances aren't statistically all that great, so anything that you can do to help yourself beforehand is a good idea.

Personnally, I think this is the opposite.  The test look at your ability to learn, not to fly.  If ones has a PPL and is pretty good at the beginning but as things get more complicated regresses, he will fail.  However, someone that makes mistakes at the first lessons improves over the lessons will pass.  This is the way I understood ACS.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Personnally, I think this is the opposite.  The test look at your ability to learn, not to fly.  If ones has a PPL and is pretty good at the beginning but as things get more complicated regresses, he will fail.  However, someone that makes mistakes at the first lessons improves over the lessons will pass.  This is the way I understood ACS.

Max

Statistically (meaning, based on the statistics gathered), those with the PPL are more likely to pass than those with no previous flying experience. Understanding the book inside and out, however, will mean that you're giving yourself the best chance that you have. If you don't have your PPL, you can still pass (a number of people in my group did with no previous flying experience, and one who did have his PPL failed), but if you are able to avoid the little hurdles that will be presented by not knowing precisely how things work in both theory and practice, it will be incredibly helpful...

Magravan said:
Some of us got our package barely a week before the test was to happen... And knowing the book inside and out might prevent you from making a mistake that could mean the difference between passing and failing. Know your stuff, and then know it better. If you don't have your PPL, your chances aren't statistically all that great, so anything that you can do to help yourself beforehand is a good idea.

Lets say that you study the books that they have sent throughly, How difficult is the test still going to be approximetaly according to your opinion?????

So the general consensus is apply yourself fully to the information they give you, and that will give you as good a chance as any at passing?

Damn logic..

northbiker said:
Lets say that you study the books that they have sent throughly, How difficult is the test still going to be approximetaly according to your opinion?????

It is impossible to tell. They never tell you how good you did. It is, however, very stressful. It is all self induced stress. You will only spend one or two hrs a day being tested. The rest of the time you spend thinking how you did, that's why it becomes stressful. You have nothing else to do during the day except thinking about how you did because they don't tell you if you are doing good or not. Get what I am saying? Ultimately some people have it and some people don't. That's the cold heart truth, when I went through they're were a lot of broken hearts in Trenton. I am sure this is true every week.

So the general consensus is apply yourself fully to the information they give you, and that will give you as good a chance as any at passing

Amazing, and here I thought there was going to be a magical secret on this forum saying exactly how to pass.

Cheers and best of luck to you all.

Hi everybody,

I have been waiting for an offer since 3 years now. I was 19y/o when I did all the test to be CEOTP Pilot and was very succesful at all of them. I am a bit pissed off because many time the recruiters have told me that I shoud be getting an offer soon...but after 3 years waiting for it im starting to think its quite not as open as they tell me it is (well now its closed tho).

I just want to get your opinion on those situations. Should I just forget it and change my plans or should I still wait for it.

Oh and they told me If i wanted I could start CEOTP Infantry Officer training this year. But that would basicly eliminate my ultimate dream or being a CForces pilot I guess...Is the contract for that also 9 years? I dont see myself being accepted for pilot at 32 if so.

Anyway im just tired of waiting i was ready for this since day 1 of the recruiting process :)

Peace,
Narushima

Ugh!  You must be the poster child for patience!

What have you been doing for the past 3 years?  Have you been working towards your degree?  Have you been checking up with the RC regularly?

Narushima,

While I sympathize with your plight, I must remind you that CEOTP is an entry plan that is not ideal for the CF. 

The CF wishes all of its Officer cadre to be degreed - therefore as a CEOTP applicant, you are placed behind all DEO applicants. 

I sincerely hope that in the last three years you have been working towards your University Degree - anything else would have been a waste of your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back