• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are numerous ways to become a pilot, there's a whole bunch for civvies (ROTP, CEOTP, DEO, etc) as well as a few for those already enrolled in the CF. Degrees are currently mandatory, so UTPNCM will be your most likely route, though a call to your local BPSO will answer all questions related to your individual situation.

In addition, you could check out the Occupational Transfer board on this site....there's a lot of useful (and not so useful) information on there. Just be mindful of what your reading...

recce4life said:
...CF-18 pilot ... best of the best...

In their opinion. Fifty percent of them are below average, too.

Banter aside, most forms of military flying have their challenges, and there is no less talent or quality in those cockpits.

... flying erections ...

My comment on that one I'll keep to myself, even if it's hard.

Loachman said:
In their opinion. Fifty percent of them are below average, too.

Banter aside, most forms of military flying have their challenges, and there is no less talent or quality in those cockpits.

My comment on that one I'll keep to myself, even if it's hard.

I guess thats the problem with being in the army you have to take other peoples word on that subject as you have no clue, but thanks.

recce4life said:
I guess thats the problem with being in the army you have to take other peoples word on that subject as you have no clue, but thanks.

Easy there cowboy, Loachman has been through Moose Jaw and beyond, as have I, and I'm sure Loachman and Good2Golf will back me up when I say that the jet slots don't always go to the top 2 or 3 guys on a course. A guy in the middle third got jets on my course, 3 of the top 5 got helos.

So how's that for been there done that?

UTPNCM is open for members of the Regular Force - I see by your profile that you are a R031.

In order to Component Transfer to the RegF you will require a University Degree.  CEOTP is only used as a last ditch effort to fill the hiring slots for a fiscal year - that program only opens sporadically.

The CF is desperate for CF-18 pilots right now - best of luck to you.

Inch...I don't think Recce4life was questioning Lman's credibility but rather what he had heard in the past. 

Recce4life...Good luck with the transfer. BTW, everyone knows that a pilot is measured by the size of his aircraft.

C1Dirty said:
Inch...I don't think Recce4life was questioning Lman's credibility but rather what he had heard in the past. 

Recce4life...Good luck with the transfer. BTW, everyone knows that a pilot is measured by the size of his aircraft.

I think you're right, I read it the wrong way. That's the problem with the internet sometimes.  :-[

Apologies Recce4life.

BTW, everyone knows a pilot is measured by his ability to hover!  ;D

Flying a jet = riding a bike.

Flying a helo = riding a unicycle while tapping your head and rubbing your stomach AND chewing gum!

My 2 cents.

Flying fixed wing is OK....but.....

You can't take it back to school
Under-wire flying is definitely frowned upon
....and

fixed wing guys generally scorn rotary.....until they have to leave their aircraft without being on terra firma. Then rotary is their bestest friend in the whole wide world and they would give anything just to see you beating the air into submission on the way to pick them up. Having picked a Sea Harrier driver out of the drink and returned him to the carrier........never bought a drink when we finally met up.

Zoomie said:
In order to Component Transfer to the RegF you will require a University Degree.  CEOTP is only used as a last ditch effort to fill the hiring slots for a fiscal year - that program only opens sporadically.

On that note, the 23 May 2007 production numbers show that CEOTP-Pilot is open.

John Galt, do you have a link, i was just on the Edmonton BPSO website and it still says closed! A friend of mine would like it.

I am already in the CEOTP for Pilot and hope to go Rotary wing!! I would like 408 and then maybe the boats and the new Cyclone!

Someone once told my Flying an F18 sounds cool, but after the first few flights it's kinda like driving from Edmonton to Winnipeg, you are going in a straight line and you don't realize how fast you are going until you look at the speedo! Still I would love to try it once!

No link, numbers are from the production tables in the CFRG network (RWAN - totally separate from DIN) ... were last updated 23 May 2007 ... interesting b/c Pilot had no DEO or CEOTP slots at the beginning of May.

Rowshambow said:
Someone once told my Flying an F18 sounds cool, but after the first few flights it's kinda like driving from Edmonton to Winnipeg, you are going in a straight line and you don't realize how fast you are going until you look at the speedo! Still I would love to try it once!

Actually, dropping bombs, BFM and ACM is far from flying straight and level.  From the F-18 guys I've been around, I don't know any that were not enjoying going up there and fly.

Max

Inch said:
I think you're right, I read it the wrong way. That's the problem with the internet sometimes.  :-[

Apologies Recce4life.

Hey no problem no hard feelings here. I wouldn't come into your forum and start trouble especially on something I need help on haha and yes the internet is bad for lack of emotions I get it all the time. NO BIGGIE.

Well I am a very opened minded person and like to learn from the guys who have been there and done that.  Oh and I have tried riding a unicycle and that didn't work out to well lets just hope I can have kids! lol.

Cheers guys thanks a lot.

Zoomie said:

For every other variety of pilot, too.

And ditto on the luck thing.

I was, of course, being semi-sarcastic in my previous post. Fighters just aren't my thing - I wanted Tac Hel/Kiowa/427 Squadron from the start and got exactly that - but I certainly (don't tell any of them) respect those guys.

What regiment are you with? (PM me if you don't want to say publically)

icatq said:
Under-wire flying is definitely frowned upon

We could do bridges in Germany, too, and there were some nice ones.

Loachman said:
For every other variety of pilot, too.

And ditto on the luck thing.

I was, of course, being semi-sarcastic in my previous post. Fighters just aren't my thing - I wanted Tac Hel/Kiowa/427 Squadron from the start and got exactly that - but I certainly (don't tell any of them) respect those guys.

What regiment are you with? (PM me if you don't want to say publically)

I don't mind.  I was with the Ontario Regiment an Armoured Recce Regiment near Toronto but now I am on a 3 yr class B contract with LFCA so now they are my unit because of the length of my employment.  I do love helicopters I have only been in them twice and wish I could go on more rides I love to sit by the skids its a rush I love it.  But unfortunately being the new QM I don't get to go in the field with my former regiment and play silly bugger and get to fly in the helicopters.

Inch said:
If you can't hover, you're... no, you're allowed to be that now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back