• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matty B. said:
Excellent points, Touchingthevoid. A pilot should be proficient in math/science AND languages. If you're weak at something, work at it.

Remember that a large portion of the CF Aptitude Test deals with language use/cognitive thinking. If you can't pass the CFAT... that's it.

and your experience is?

Hey guys, just wanted to know what would be the most effective method of pursuing a career as a pilot. Clearly an education at RMC would be quite helpful, if not mandatory? I've been interested in joining the Army / Air Force for a couple years now, just trying to see where i can fit in, and if it will interest me.

What are some of the requirements or prerequisites for highschool / college / university courses with regards of being a pilot, and the marks they look at. If anyone who has taken this path could get back to me with some advice, opinions or stories it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
:cdn: :army:

Can I assume that you haven't bothered to read the rules in the Conduct Guidelines yet, nor thought to do a SEARCH?  In whatever case, here are some things you may find of interest and help you on this site:

MSN and ICQ "short hand" -  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33247.0.html

Regarding the use of "MSN speak" versus the employment of prose which is correct in grammar, spelling and punctuation, please see: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34015/post-260446.html#msg260446

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-259412.html#msg259412

Recruiting FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

Infantry FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21131.0.html

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test - http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101/post-103977.html#msg103977

Fitness requirements at enrolment, see page 12 of this brochure:
http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/media/pdf/physical_fitness_en.pdf

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

(Perhaps use it to search for requirements to become a Pilot.)

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading.

I wanted to be a pilot ever since I was a child. And I have finally decided to join the force and realized that pilots require high academic standings in post secondary education which I don't have. Am I seriously screwed or is there a another way?????????

And do they offer ROTP for Pilot training currently in undergrads??????

(Edited by Moderator to clarify title)

Most small children who want to be pilots don't get as many rude surprises.  There are 13 year old Air Cadets out there who probably have the recruiting specs for pilot memorized cold, and are selecting their high school credits, extra-curicular sports and community activities with further education and selection in mind.

Almost sounds like those guys who cruise through high school and university, then realize they can't live their dream of becoming a brain surgeon because their marks won't even let them get hired as a janitor in Medical School.

Who Knew?

Did you get a degree? If so, apply anyways... If you don't have the degree, then you should still apply... The worst that they can tell you is no, and you'll be in the same boat you are now... They allow a lot of people to put Pilot on their app, simply because those who can't handle it are weeded out in the interview / ACS stage, typically.

Through Adversity, The Stars...

Pilot/Air Nav was my dream as well....tubed Aircrew and now working on my third career choice Aerospace controller.  The best bet is to enroll as a CEOTP.  You have to ask for this entry plan when you go to the recruiter as they do not explicitely offer it as an entry choice.  Keep in mind that the number of vacancies for CEOTP are limited for all officer carreers and that you will be at a different pay scale until you graduate from a recongnized University with a degree.  Oh yes,  you have to work towards a degree while you train and you do have a limited time to do so....7  or 9 years depending on the duration of first contract.

Hope this helps.

As previously stated, if you have a degree, then you meet the minimum qualifications.

Put in your application, and you will see how it goes.

bw said:
Oh yes,  you have to work towards a degree while you train and you do have a limited time to do so....7  or 9 years depending on the duration of first contract.

From what I know most successful CEOTP applicants will now have 13 years to complete a degree. However as I understand it you are not required to stay the full 13. I was informed by the CFRC I'm only required to stay 5 years but all this should be checked over with your recruiter as it probably varies depending your situation and MOC. This info is only based on the offer I received and as with all CF policies, they are subject to change. :)

bw said:
Pilot/Air Nav was my dream as well....tubed Aircrew and now working on my third career choice Aerospace controller.  The best bet is to enroll as a CEOTP.  You have to ask for this entry plan when you go to the recruiter as they do not explicitely offer it as an entry choice.  Keep in mind that the number of vacancies for CEOTP are limited for all officer carreers and that you will be at a different pay scale until you graduate from a recongnized University with a degree.  Oh yes,  you have to work towards a degree while you train and you do have a limited time to do so....7  or 9 years depending on the duration of first contract.

Hope this helps.

I did the same as you, same choices, but opted to switch AEC for Armoured / Artillery Officer and retest Air Nav... I'll be doing that in January, if I haven't already been called for one of the other two... If I find that I don't like whatever I get, I'll consider retesting Pilot if I can ever get my PPL...

- CEOTPs have 9 years to complete university degree
-after occupational training (Wings standard for Pilots) pay is the same regardless of entry plan or education level

northbiker:

I have been offered pilot and I can tell you that my post secondary academic standing was certainly not high in any way. I barely passed. During the interview the officer asked me about this. I replied by saying that I had really high high school marks and I was in a tough program in a tough university. That was the end of that question, we moved on. Like others have stated, just apply, you have nothing to lose. Hope this helps

Cheers.

I had failed courses in high school and in post secondary education. But I have somehow managed to pull out a B average in this current semester. Will my last semester marks be considered?. And what about extenuating circumstances do they have any policy about that????

You don't have to become a Pilot immediately. You also have three trade choices on your application so research them and apply for Pilot with some other choices as well. Do some time in the Air Force, improve your academic record and try, try again if you don't succeed the first time around. You'll never know until you try.

Best of luck.

northbiker said:
I had failed courses in high school and in post secondary education. But I have somehow managed to pull out a B average in this current semester. Will my last semester marks be considered?. And what about extenuating circumstances do they have any policy about that????

B average is pretty good in my opinion, I had a C- myself, although my opinion doesn't matter in this case. If you do get an interview, which I am sure you will, just be prepared to answer the question that will inevitably be asked about why you failed a course or two. Put a positive spin on it. "I was a different person back then, I made a mistake and learned from it, that's why my marks have steadily increased since then, I have matured......etc"  Just be prepared for the question, don't make up lames excuses for it and just say you have learned from it. End it with a positive.

Marks are just one of many aspects that will be looked at and considered. My interview was a little short of an hour and a half. We didn't talk about my marks for longer than 3 minutes. There are many threads discussing interviews, read into them and you will see everything else that you should prepare for.

I hope this helps,
Cheers.

B average is definetly nothing to be worried about.. how many classes did you fail at university previously?

My marks fluctuate between C-B+ , and I'm hoping any isolated low end marks I get (looks like I'm headed for a D in one class) won't be looked down upon too harshly my

the CF or any future employer.. but only time will tell.

I have failed 5 courses up to date and passed around 8 courses with a B average. Can someone reply to this post??????

northbiker said:
I have failed 5 courses up to date and passed around 8 courses with a B average. Can someone reply to this post??????

Your overall average will be taken into consideration and your failures will be discussed.  Do some research on this site.

kincanucks said:
Your overall average will be taken into consideration and your failures will be discussed.  Do some research on this site.

X2

Like I previously stated, be prepared to be asked about it and you better have a good, well thought out answer. Marks are but only one of many things the CF looks at. You can not change your past so just try and apply, you have nothing to lose.

In my personal opinion this is the course of action I suggest you follow:
1) Stop worrying about a past you can not change. Just try to improve your current academic standing.
2) Apply anyways because you have nothing to lose.
3) Read all the interview threads and FAQs on this wonderful forum. Look at the recruiting website as well. Believe it or not you are not the first applicant to have questions and doubts about the interview stage.
4) After reviewing all the aforementioned information in (3) thoroughly prepare yourself for the interview. You should go in there knowing what most of the questions will be and have prepared answers for them.

I sincerely hopes this helps and I wish you nothing but the best of luck to you.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back