• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mab post here or PM me when you start your ASC or if they stop processing you please.

Hi,

I just came back from my recruiting center to give them my medical results. My file manager told me they would send my medical and vision results to Ottawa and then should call me back soon to set an appointment for my interview.

I asked about the pilot's trade being closed recently, the answer I received is that since I am already in the recruiting process, I will continue every steps until I am place on the merit list or I fail at one point of the process.

Trade is only closed for new applications.

Thanks OYR. If anything changes please let me know. I only ask because another person I know said that their recruiting centre told them anyone who has not been interviewed yet would be cut off. Good to hear experiences from a variety of people.

Unfortunately, the website is not updated in real time, and sometimes can be out of date as to what trades are open and closed.

I'm in the middle of the process.  I've done CFAT, interview and medical. Right now held up on medical, due to my sleep apnea.  I've been losing weight and having tonsils out at some point.  Waiting for a surgery date.  After that, new sleep study to see if I have beaten down the apnea. If not, then that's the end of the line for me. Hoping not!

CF_Pilot said:
I'll be honest right back. I wouldn't want you on my squadron.

Because he is a 16 year old kid who doesnt know anything about the military or because he wants to spend time in the airforce and become an airliner pilot after (since CF pilots NEVER retire and work for airlines afterwards)

From  someone who works / worked in Recruiting:

"MY theory (and it's just that, I have no special info or insight) is that some people who want to become pilots, but may not be able to afford it after having completed their degrees, choose to attempt to join the CF in order to get the training. Combine that with the cut-backs in the civilian airlines and the number of EX-CF airline pilots and it becomes an attractive way of beefing up a resume."

Reply #600.

I just got a call from my file manager asking which dates would work best for me for ASC.

I just returned today, successfully, from ASC. I've been informed by my file manager that as soon as they've received the correct documents from the CFASC and my Air Factor is input into the system by the DRDC I'll be merit listed for pilot.

The successful candidates were also informed by the staff at the CFASC that a selection committee will be sitting around Nov. 15. I'm being careful not to be too excited just in case things change, but it probably merits some optimism.

Since I mentioned our ASC, I'll post a couple details from our week here; I'll also post them on the appropriate ASC forum too, with a bit more info. ASC was the usual massacre. 3 out of 7 made it through CAPSS, and only two of those passed the AEC exam as well, myself and one other. All 3 of us made it through the measuring and medical testing at the DRDC.

I left ASC without any more insight into CAPSS than I had before I went. They are pretty tight lipped about it. Cross-check, be very gentle with the controls, follow instructions, and manage your stress.

Good luck all!

peak_to_prairie said:
I just returned today, successfully, from ASC. I've been informed by my file manager that as soon as they've received the correct documents from the CFASC and my Air Factor is input into the system by the DRDC I'll be merit listed for pilot.

The successful candidates were also informed by the staff at the CFASC that a selection committee will be sitting around Nov. 15. I'm being careful not to be too excited just in case things change, but it probably merits some optimism.

Since I mentioned our ASC, I'll post a couple details from our week here; I'll also post them on the appropriate ASC forum too, with a bit more info. ASC was the usual massacre. 3 out of 7 made it through CAPSS, and only two of those passed the AEC exam as well, myself and one other. All 3 of us made it through the measuring and medical testing at the DRDC.

I left ASC without any more insight into CAPSS than I had before I went. They are pretty tight lipped about it. Cross-check, be very gentle with the controls, follow instructions, and manage your stress.

Good luck all!

The infos you posted on the ASC forum are very useful, thank you!

Congratulation and good luck for the selection of the next pilots! I hope I will be attending the ASC in the next weeks too!

DEO candidate here, I completed ASC successfully a month ago, still no word yet from DRDC so it does take quite a bit of time (I was verbally told by the flight surgeon that everything in my medical file was excellent and that he signed off on it, but have not officially received air factor).

peak_to_prairie said:

Good luck all!

While the skeptic in me says there are no more selections this year and I should take this with a grain of salt - the hopeful side in me says I love you. Good luck with getting your air factor but don't be disappointed if it takes some time and doesn't come in before the 15th, it took most of the people on my ASC at least a month to get their air factor. With me it was 2 months because Ottawa wanted one of the tests double-checked.

Reaper-1 said:
While the skeptic in me says there are no more selections this year and I should take this with a grain of salt - the hopeful side in me says I love you. Good luck with getting your air factor but don't be disappointed if it takes some time and doesn't come in before the 15th, it took most of the people on my ASC at least a month to get their air factor. With me it was 2 months because Ottawa wanted one of the tests double-checked.

Yah, I've heard about the delay getting the Air Factor before, I'll keep my optimism in check. The doctor did tell me that things were moving quickly now and it was possible I could stand for Nov. 15. She said the biggest delays would come from sending my med file back to my CFRC, and if my CFRC had access to their computer system (which she didn't know) they'd know sooner.

Thanks for the love! I'm pretty sure the selection part is true (at least as of when I left ASC). The Cpt. received an email that day about Nov. 15, and came and told us.

I read back in October that people were receiving "conditional" offers before getting their Air Factor. Are they still doing that?

Has anyone else confirmed this Nov.15th date with a recruiter? I tried to call today but couldn't get in contact. Sent an email and got from my Cpt. that he doesn't have a date for the next selection

Any recent news on what's happening with pilot positions this year and what is projected for the next?

I was at CFRC Toronto a couple of days ago and my most recent understanding is that pilot position openings for this fiscal year are either gone or are extremely slim. If this information is accurate, it's not surprising, given the recent wave of offers. ("Wave" might be an overstatement, but at least two people on this forum received their offers around same time, which makes me think there might have been many more than just the two.)

The aircrew selection sessions are still running, however. Perhaps the Force is creating a merit list for the next wave of openings. I was told a spot has been requested for me for one of this December's aircrew selections and I was told I'll be contacted with the exact date. It might end up being January. I don't have expectations. I am just waiting.

Anyone else here in the same spot?

I know of someone who was offered a position starting 5 Jan this week.  Maybe there are still a few spots left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back