• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joely.Ho - You want " honest and unfiltered opinions"?

1)  In your original post ....
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/107198.0.html
.... you say you're 16, now you're saying you're 15 and a bit.  You'll have to be far more precise with information and numbers if you become a pilot.

2)  Remember this from your original post?
Loachman said:
Welcome to Army.ca

Please spend some time researching older posts on the site and using the Search Function. You will find a wealth of information here, including answers to questions you haven't even formed yet.

Being able to follow suggestions/direction/instructions is a good skill to have in ANY military field.

Search and read more (asking the same thing over and over again without checking what's there or appearing to take in what's shared are not military-sought skills), post less, and ask questions that haven't been answered already.

Milnet.ca Staff

Joely.Ho said:
Hello everyone,

My name is Joely and I turn 16 this november. I aspire to be a pilot and was wondering how you got into the air force. I am aiming at the ROTP  but I want to be prepared for being not accepted into the program. Therefore please tell me how you got into the air force and your general experience in the air force, what you did before you got into the air force (ie, university or highschool), and what you currently do. To be very honest, I want to be an airline pilot but gain the best experience and knowledge from the ROTP and serving in the RAF after. Now, I understand that this may bring criticism, and I respect it too as it may bring about honest and unfiltered opinions on what I can do to become a pilot. I appreciate all posts.

Thanks,
Joely Ho

I echo what milnews said about searching and reading the pile of info regarding the Pilot trade.  On another note, if commercial flying is what you're looking for, the CF may not be the best way as you're not guaranteed the multi-engine (or even fixed-wing) community. 

Hey everyone,

I've recently sent off my documents to apply for the pilot ROTP, I know that the first (and hopefully not last) step for applicants is the aircrew selection in CFB Trenton. My question is if anyone knows roughly how long I'll be waiting for this? I read somewhere that the aircrew selection process only occurs in July and November, is this true? I'm not sure how the RCAF is managing this at the moment.

Also if anyone has any tips(apart from cross checking instruments and studying like crazy, I already understand the extreme importance of these) they would be much appreciated as I have no flying experience but I've always wanted to do this.

Thanks in advance!

Aircrew Selection is not the first step. CFAT, general medical, and interview are the first few steps. There is a lot of info already on here re ASC, try searching and you'll find them. Good luck.

davidc538 said:
.... Also if anyone has any tips(apart from cross checking instruments and studying like crazy, I already understand the extreme importance of these) they would be much appreciated as I have no flying experience but I've always wanted to do this ....
Strangely enough, if you go to the "Aircrew Trades" page here, take a look at the thread that's about four down from yours....
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/70257.0.html

Welcome to Milnet.ca - search can be your friend here.

That post is actually really informative, judging by the site ( http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/8w-8e/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=8252 ), there simulators seem very new. Does anyone know what kind of plane there instrumentation matches?

None that you are likely to encounter in real life.

Loachman said:
None that you are likely to encounter in real life.

shit lol, do they send pics of the instruments before you go to trenton?

davidc538 said:

Did my reply give you the impression that I was being funny and inaccurate ?

davidc538 said:
crap lol, do they send pics of the instruments before you go to trenton?

Your study guide prior to going will contain what you need to know.

CDN Aviator said:
Did my reply give you the impression that I was being funny and inaccurate ?

a little, roughly how old are the current simulators?

CDN Aviator said:
Your study guide prior to going will contain what you need to know.

You know roughly how long they typically take to get back to you?

You really need to start searching and stop posting. A) aircrew selection does not only happen in those months, it happens almost every week. B) you will not be doing aircrew selection any time soon, it will probably be months from now, and only if everything else checks out with your CFAT, medical, interview, etc. When you ARE ready for aircrew, there are lots and lots of threads that will prepare you when you search.

davidc538 said:
roughly how old are the current simulators?

Introduced in Feb 1997.

You know roughly how long they typically take to get back to you?

They take as long as they need. Sit, wait, relax.

CDN Aviator said:
Introduced in Feb 1997.

so these machines are 15 years old?

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/vital/8w-8e/nr-sp/images/2009/I2009-857D-01.jpg

CDN Aviator said:
They take as long as they need. Sit, wait, relax.

ugh

davidc538 said:
so these machines are 15 years old?

It is September 2012. CAPSS was introduced in February 1997. You did the math. What's in doubt ?

Yes, the machines in your picture. I know what CAPSS is, I have done aircrew selection.

CDN Aviator said:
It is September 2012. CAPSS was introduced in February 1997. You did the math. What's in doubt ?

I can subtract but the sims in the picture don't look like they could be 15 years old

Lord love a duck....STOP ALREADY!!  ::)

davidc538 said:
I can subtract but the sims in the picture don't look like they could be 15 years old

You're just f*****g with me aren't you ?

You ask questions and don't believe the answer no matter what ?

Running on the assumption that they haven't changed the sims since I was there (2000), the instrumentation is closest to that of a generic light aircraft, like a Cessna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back