• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies. I know I am more valuable as a surgeon and I hope to go to Afghanistan once the initial training is complete. Surgery is important. Just idle speculation.

Flying is very cool. Maybe I will just buy a flight simulator.

Become a Flight Surgeon and get posted to a flying base.

I am not sure what a flight surgeon does. I think being a flight surgeon involves a lot of things that are not surgery.

Will Canada ever purchase the A-10 Warthog or similar type of aircraft?

helijamie said:
I am not sure what a flight surgeon does. I think being a flight surgeon involves a lot of things that are not surgery.

Being a military doctor involves a lot of things that are not surgery.

Flight Surgeons get extra training in aviation medicine, and get opportunities to fly, but not as crew.

helijamie said:
Will Canada ever purchase the A-10 Warthog or similar type of aircraft?

No. They haven't been built in decades, and are a niche aircraft. There are threads here on CAS aircraft and such. The Search Function can find them for you.

Jamie,
If you do decide to join your only logical option would be as a doc. It just makes sense, both financially and time wise. It can be a very rewarding job both as an MD and an orthopod, especially considering the work we are doing right now. You can make time for flying as a hobby.

RubberTree said:
You can make time for flying as a hobby.

Does that mean that pilots can practice surgery as a hobby? Fair is fair.  >:D

benny88 said:
  Does that mean that pilots can practice surgery as a hobby? Fair is fair.  >:D

As long as you're qualified, fill your boots!  ;D

helijamie said:

http://www.toronto.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/about-apropos/fact/t21-eng.asp
Flight Surgeon's Course

Mandate:

To provide Canadian Forces (and other) physicians with specialized training in the unique medical needs of aviators.

Background

Since the early days of military aviation, the unique medical needs of aviators have been recognized. In the early days of World War II, with the establishment of the School of Aviation Medicine, this recognition was formalized. After the war, the RCAF Institute of Aviation Medicine continued the tradition of training Canadian Forces (CF) medical officers in the treatment of aviators, acknowledging their expertise by awarding Flight Surgeon wings. This tradition continues today, at the School of Operational Medicine at DRDC Toronto/ CFEME, in the internationally renowned Canadian Forces Flight Surgeon's Course. Over 500 CF physicians have received Flight Surgeon wings since 1968. Other course attendees have included NATO medical officers, other foreign military doctors and civilian practitioners working in other government agencies such as Transport Canada's Civil Aviation Medicine Branch.

Course description

Objectives:
The aim of the Flight Surgeon's Course is to train physicians in providing specialized medical support to air operations. Specifically, these physicians will be able to:
provide clinical support to aircrew;
provide environmental medical support to air operations;
conduct Flight Surgeon duties in an operational air environment;
support an aeromedical evacuation; and
perform aircraft accident/incident investigations with respect to human factors causation.

Frequency:
The course is currently offered once a year with a maximum enrollment of 20 students.

Qualification:
This course meets the requirements for accreditation in Continuing Medical Education (CME) by the College of Family Physicians of Canada.

Training techniques

Academic:
Lecturers for this intensive 32-day course include leading international investigators and practitioners in aerospace medicine. Students also benefit from the expertise of DRDC Toronto's research scientists.

Practical:
Training is conducted using DRDC Toronto's unique facilities and equipment, including a human centrifuge, hypobaric (altitude) chamber, noise simulation facility (anechoic chamber), a Barany chair and a Gyro IPT (Integrated Physiological Trainer).

Operational:
The course includes a week of flying familiarization at a CF base where each student gets to fly and live with an operational squadron.

A simple example would be that Flt Surgs do the same functions (plus much more) as Civil Aviation Medical Examiners.  CF Flt Surgs are also concurrently designated CAMEs by Transport Canada.  While Loachman may be more current on the crew status of a Flt Surg while flying during an "orientation flight", my recollection from serving on a couple of air bases is that they received "Casual Aircrew Allowance" (in the same manner as the rest of us with "Timmy" wings) for those days they went joyiding.

Blackadder1916 said:
A simple example would be that Flt Surgs do the same functions (plus much more) as Civil Aviation Medical Examiners.  CF Flt Surgs are also concurrently designated CAMEs by Transport Canada.

How many Flt Surgeons do we have and how would I get access to one? I needed a CF Aircrew Medical and my Transport Canada Category 1 [note: this is for my ROTP program, and thus I can claim it], and I tried to get them done at the same time, but the ASU here in London used a civilian MD who was not a CAME, and no one I talked to seemed to know what I was talking about. In the future, it would be convenient if I could do them concurrently (avoid extra travel time, and making a claim) has anyone ever done this? Trenton? DRDC?

Cheers

Blackadder1916 said:
While Loachman may be more current on the crew status of a Flt Surg while flying during an "orientation flight", my recollection from serving on a couple of air bases is that they received "Casual Aircrew Allowance" (in the same manner as the rest of us with "Timmy" wings) for those days they went joyiding.

I was posting in some haste, and referrring to the occupation of front seats - although that, too, may be possible in certain aircraft at certain times.

Yes, they are acting as crew for the purposes of casual aircrew allowance.

benny88 said:
How many Flt Surgeons do we have and how would I get access to one? I needed a CF Aircrew Medical and my Transport Canada Category 1 [note: this is for my ROTP program, and thus I can claim it], and I tried to get them done at the same time, but the ASU here in London used a civilian MD who was not a CAME, and no one I talked to seemed to know what I was talking about. In the future, it would be convenient if I could do them concurrently (avoid extra travel time, and making a claim) has anyone ever done this? Trenton? DRDC?

Cheers

Hey hey Benny....shoulda just dropped your old pal a msg...

We have Flt Surgeons here in YTR, but the wait to get your medical done is at least 3 weeks. Not sure whether or not they will service you if your not part of the Wing. I'm taking a course and the Wg Flt Surgeon is in my class... I'll ask her for you.

As far as having them done concurrently... no idea. Once your finished your time @ Western you won't be having civi medicals done anyway, so your case is kinda unique. I would imagine they would send you to DRDC to do your aircrew med, since thats probably the closest location to you...not to mention all the documentation is sent there anyway.

Besides, making a claim isn't so bad. The kilometric rate coupled w/ lunch puts more money in your pocket than you'll spend heading to Toronto. the time factor is another story...

Give me a shout when you figure out where your getting posted in the summer. The "pod crew" from IAP is coming down in a couple weeks to check out my new place soooo....well you know what that means....

Who's chirpin?

Hey guys, I'll be applying for pilot under DEO within the month. I'm from Montreal and I've heard from a primary source that it will be much more efficent if I drive to Ottawa and apply there. Apparently they're much more organized at the Ottawa recruiting center in comparison to Montreal. Can anyone confirm this or suggest that idea?

snyper21 said:
Hey guys, I'll be applying for pilot under DEO within the month. I'm from Montreal and I've heard from a primary source that it will be much more efficent if I drive to Ottawa and apply there. Apparently they're much more organized at the Ottawa recruiting center in comparison to Montreal. Can anyone confirm this or suggest that idea?

Well as of now Pilot is closed for the year, so Ottawa or Montreal, no big difference...  :-\

TimBit said:
Well as of now Pilot is closed for the year, so Ottawa or Montreal, no big difference...  :-\

Doesn't mean he can't or shouldn't get the ball rolling. And as for going to another recruiting centre, you'll be back and forth quite a bit, I wouldn't recommend it. But to each his own. Good luck.

Ya I figure I might as well get the ball rolling because I'm still in University. I graduate at the end of the fall semester 2009. Is it reasonable to consider (if/when accepted) a possible January St. Jean? Or am I more realistically looking at next Summer (if all goes well of course)?

snyper21 said:
Ya I figure I might as well get the ball rolling because I'm still in University. I graduate at the end of the fall semester 2009. Is it reasonable to consider (if/when accepted) a possible January St. Jean? Or am I more realistically looking at next Summer (if all goes well of course)?

Usually, numbers for DEO are the the FY (from Apr to Mar), so if you finish school in December 09, there will still be 0 slots for DEO Pilot.  If there are slots for the following year, summer '10 may be a little more realistic.

I was thinking of enlisting. My first option is become a Pilot and second is for "Infantry Solider".  I was wondering if it's hard to get into becoming a Pilot? Say when you finish "Basic Training", you can go directly into Pilot training program, or it's matter of luck? How many people do they take a year for becoming pilots? 

As for the Army Infantry, say you do that after basic.  Do they send you on tour to Afganistan right off the bat or you have a choice to stay and work on the base? For working on Base, what kind of work would the Infantry Soldier do besides training? 
And to those that served in Afganistan, what's it like there? What was your experience like over there? 

Hello, I'm seeking information in regards to the direction that would help me become a pilot. I know many people say it’s an oversubscribed field, but I've made up my mind to achieve this goal, and will not back-down.
Currently I am enrolled in University, and want to begin applying for the pilot position, or setting myself up to head towards this direction. I've been told I have a few options at this point, such as the CEOTP or ROTP programs.

Here is a list of the ambiguities I have in regards to making the right decision for what I want to achieve.
[list type=decimal]
[*] Can I choose to pay for my own education in the ROTP, rather than having it subsidized?
[*] Should I wait to apply in my last year of studies for conditional DEO entry?
[*] If I do not apply right now, should I enlist in the air reserves in my area? 
[*] If I join the ROTP program, and do not get accepted as a pilot, can I just walk away? (Because I won’t do anything else, besides be a pilot) 
[/list]
Also, if there are any suggestions into activities, or groups, et cetera, that I should partake and further explore that may benefit heading towards a career as a pilot. Please let me know!!!!

Thanks in advance to all those who took the time to reply, and help me clarify certain ambiguities.
Jean.

pheonix5 said:
Hello, I'm seeking information in regards to the direction that would help me become a pilot. I know many people say it’s an oversubscribed field, but I've made up my mind to achieve this goal, and will not back-down.
Currently I am enrolled in University, and want to begin applying for the pilot position, or setting myself up to head towards this direction. I've been told I have a few options at this point, such as the CEOTP or ROTP programs.

Here is a list of the ambiguities I have in regards to making the right decision for what I want to achieve.
[list type=decimal]
[*] Can I choose to pay for my own education in the ROTP, rather than having it subsidized?
[*] Should I wait to apply in my last year of studies for conditional DEO entry?
[*] If I do not apply right now, should I enlist in the air reserves in my area? 
[*] If I join the ROTP program, and do not get accepted as a pilot, can I just walk away? (Because I won’t do anything else, besides be a pilot) 
[/list]
Also, if there are any suggestions into activities, or groups, et cetera, that I should partake and further explore that may benefit heading towards a career as a pilot. Please let me know!!!!

Thanks in advance to all those who took the time to reply, and help me clarify certain ambiguities.
Jean.

Jean,

ROTP is part of the subsidized education plan in the CF. Meaning, the CF will subsidize your education in return for obligatory service (which you must finish so that you do not incur any financial problems) + regular service.

As you mentioned, you can wait until your last year of studies before applying for DEO - that's a choice that you will have to make, not us.

Reserves is a good alternative because you can get your training done before you get your degree (in most cases) – at which point you can apply for a transfer from reserves to regular force (from what I’ve read, it’s a long process, but worth it if you plan properly).

And no, you can’t just “walk away” freely from ROTP. Technically you can (from what I’ve read), but you will incur financial problems because the CF paid for your degree. Do a search on this, lots of information on this.

Engineer79 said:
Reserves is a good alternative because you can get your training done before you get your degree (in most cases) – at which point you can apply for a transfer from reserves to regular force (from what I’ve read, it’s a long process, but worth it if you plan properly).

Be forwarned that the Air reserve is not that easy to get into as the number of positions is limited. The air reserves is very heavy on former RegF members who have retired and is mostly comprised of members who work full-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back