• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the maximum height to become a pilot?
I've read some topics regarding laser eye surgery that they are now allowed even for pilots, is that true?
Also, I've read in these forums that the vision requirement now is V2 and not V1 as it was before? is this also true?
Thanks in advance!

Edit: I found this website: http://www.becomefighterpilot.com/
Do you guys know any Canadian books or websites like this one?

Someone said:
What is the maximum height to become a pilot?
I've read some topics regarding laser eye surgery that they are now allowed even for pilots, is that true?
Also, I've read in these forums that the vision requirement now is V2 and not V1 as it was before?

Someone, there are only so many ways to say "Look on the site it's been asked and answered before" , and the ways you've been told thus far are more polite than most. Threads abound about body limitations and vision requirements for pilots. Read them.

Someone said:

Stay away from that shit. There's no fast track.

OK, leave the ''edit'' part alone.

As I said, I've already read the pages, I'm just looking for a confirmation since they are 3 years old. A simple ''yes'' or ''no'' would be more than OK.
You could have answered them in half the time you took for writing (again) what I already know, which is that I have to search. Please, it's not too much to ask. All you have to do is  say:

1. # in centimeters (i heard it is 193cm, just looking for a confirmation.)
2. Yes or No
3. Yes or No

Again, this is not too much to ask.

Someone said:
1. # in centimeters (i heard it is 193cm, just looking for a confirmation.)

I don't think there is any set numbers, it's all about proportions.  The killer being the lenght of the femur. (I guess the length of your torso may be a factor as well, although I've never seen it being a problem) 

Someone said:
2. Yes or No

A simple search on the CF website would have turned a result on that subject and the answer is yes, it is allowed.  Consult a CF Flight Surgeon before proceeding.

Someone said:
3. Yes or No

See 2.

Yes, some posts are not made yesterday.  Yes some things do change after a period of time.  However, if someone posted that the sky was blue fifteen years ago; it does not negate the fact that the colour has not changed just because it was posted quite some time ago.  Usually, you will find that if somethng has changed since it was posted on this site, it has been corrected by some new informed member of the site.

Someone said:

How to become a fighter pilot? 

As many experienced fighter pilots told me :

Don't suck and never give up.

alright, thanks.
I'll search some more at google.com
If any of you have links with ALL the requirements and prerequisites please feel free to post it!  ;D

SupersonicMax said:
I don't think there is any set numbers, it's all about proportions.  The killer being the lenght of the femur. (I guess the length of your torso may be a factor as well, although I've never seen it being a problem) 

Actually, when my ex was trying to go pilot, he was told that his seated height exceeded whatever the requirement was.  He was even sent to DCIEM in Toronto to be measured accurately.  He was only too tall for one plane that he would only have to do 90 hours in and never fly again.  But rules are rules.

IIRC, a waiver was once made for someone who was too tall and they had an accident with ejection and died.  I think his parents tried to sue the CF.

Someone said:
If any of you have links with ALL the requirements and prerequisites please feel free to post it!

Recruiting centre.

PMedMoe said:
Actually, when my ex was trying to go pilot, he was told that his seated height exceeded whatever the requirement was.  He was even sent to DCIEM in Toronto to be measured accurately.  He was only too tall for one plane that he would only have to do 90 hours in and never fly again.  But rules are rules.

As I said, it MAY be an issue but I have never seen it being an issue (and I know a LOT of tall people, your ex must be pretty darn tall).  Usually, the femur comes into play first.

If he was too tall for the Harvard II (I assume it is what he was too tall for, since the Harvard II course is 90 hours and everyone does it), he was definately too tall for the Hawk and possibly too tall for the Jet Ranger.

PMedMoe said:
IIRC, a waiver was once made for someone who was too tall and they had an accident with ejection and died.  I think his parents tried to sue the CF.

Never heard of anything like that, you have something to back that up??

SupersonicMax said:
As I said, it MAY be an issue but I have never seen it being an issue (and I know a LOT of tall people, your ex must be pretty darn tall).  Usually, the femur comes into play first.

I wasn't trying to contradict you and sorry if it sounded that way.  No, he isn't that tall (about 6') but he has a long body and not so long legs.

SupersonicMax said:
If he was too tall for the Harvard II (I assume it is what he was too tall for, since the Harvard II course is 90 hours and everyone does it), he was definately too tall for the Hawk and possibly too tall for the Jet Ranger.

Sorry, I don't recall which one it was.

SupersonicMax said:
Never heard of anything like that, you have something to back that up??

No.  I said, if I recall correctly.  If it did happen, it would have been before 1990.  It also may have be one of those things that is not widely known.

PMedMoe said:

Is the number of hours flying is determined by your height?
I'm 190.5 cm tall, about 6 feet and 3 inches.  :'(

Someone said:
Is the number of hours flying is determined by your height?
I'm 190.5 cm tall, about 6 feet and 3 inches.  :'(

No, whether or not you can even be a pilot would be determined by your height.

Greetings,

My name is Peter and I'm interested in becoming a helicopter pilot. I'd like to to know what the demand is like and what the requirements are. I spoke to a recruiter in Montreal this week, but they were unable to answer many of questions and seemed more interested in handing me pamphlets. If this topic has already been covered, I'd like to apologize because I didn't find it posted.

There are a lot of things I've always wanted to do in life, but the top two are: travel and fly helicopters. After living abroad for several years teaching English, then working for a big "blue" multinational corporation, I decided that it was time to come home and continue my education. I'm 25 years old and have my high school diploma. I'm ready to go to university and am ready to do what it takes to become a pilot.

Now that I've got my story out of the way, here are some of my questions:

Is there a demand for helicopter pilots?

What university degree is given more consideration for flight training? I'm interested in Aeronautical Engineering, but am more inclined towards computer sciences/engineering.

Which entry plan is the best for my situation ROTP or CEOTP?

Are the chances of enrolling in RMC better than a civilian university?

Will I have to start with a different military occupation before becoming a pilot?

If anyone can answer some of questions or knows where I can find the answers, I'll be very grateful. I just found this site today and will be going over it for more information.

Thank you.

I'm not a helicopter pilot, but I'm a pilot.

PeteMTL said:
Is there a demand for helicopter pilots?

There is always a demand for pilots in general.  I just had my Career manager brief and we are 16% below PML.  Having said that, the problem is not at the recruiting centers.  There are plenty of candidates wanting in as pilots.  It is a very competitive trade. 

FYI, you are not enrolled as a Helicopter pilot, but as a pilot.  You may end up in eighter Jets, Multis or Helicopters after your basic flying training.  Most of the slots are helicopter slots though...

PeteMTL said:
What university degree is given more consideration for flight training? I'm interested in Aeronautical Engineering, but am more inclined towards computer sciences/engineering.

I don't think your degree makes any difference.  There are pilots with a History majors and some with Aerospace engineering degrees.  Your ability to fly a plane is not related to what your major was, although I do believe that science/engineering will give you good study habbits and the "scientific" way of doing things, as I like to call it, won't be too foreign to you (ie:  you will be familiar with a rigid structure.  Not saying that arts degree do not provide that, however, I believe that science in general is more structure than arts).

PeteMTL said:
Which entry plan is the best for my situation ROTP or CEOTP?

CEOTP will get you wings sooner, but it is much more harder to get in than ROTP, as far as I can see.
ROTP is somewhat easier to get in but you'll be flying 4-5 years from now.

PeteMTL said:
Will I have to start with a different military occupation before becoming a pilot?

If you go the ROTP way, they will assign you a group of MOC (Air OPS for pilots, which includes ASCOs, Pilots and AECs).  After the first year, they will assign you your MOC, in function with your performance in your first year.  I'm not sure how that works, since it wasn't that way when I did it.

If you go CEOTP, you will be pilot from day 1 and you'll start training as soon as a slot comes up.

Hope it helps,

Max

I know in order to become an officer you require post secondary education, essentially, a diploma from a recognised university.

I have my Transport Canada Commercial Licence, aswell as an FAA Airline Transport licence, with experience in turbines, aswell as business jets. I have geared my life towards aviation, and never ended up getting a degree. Is there anyway that my experience can be credited as post secondary education? Would it be enough to justify allowing entry into the CEOTP (I know there is no demand for pilots in the CEOTP at this time)?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Max,

Thank you very much for your swift and detailed reply. I'm looking forward to start the enlistment process. I have just another quick question. Do you how long the CFAT is valid for? I wrote it in 2002, when I was thinking of joining the reserves. I don't remember them giving me a score, but I could have picked any NCM trade/occupation at the time. I was 17 and still in high school so I wasn't thinking of becoming an officer at the time.

Pete

I'll give you a non-expert answer based on experience here.  I'm sure one of the aviation types will jump in soon and correct me or agree with me.

You need a degree (although I am sure there are some exceptions, flying experience doesn't come to mind).

If there is no demand in CEOTP for pilots, why would you apply?  Unless you plan on applying for a different trade, in which case you would definitely need a degree.

Wait 'til closer to end of Fiscal Year...spots might open up. 

Have you spoken to a recruiter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back