• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engineer79 said:
Reserves is a good alternative because you can get your training done before you get your degree (in most cases) – at which point you can apply for a transfer from reserves to regular force (from what I’ve read, it’s a long process, but worth it if you plan properly).

Being that the OP is dead-set on pilot, you are saying he can go to the Air Reserves, and complete his/her military training (to be a pilot) before they get their degree and then apply for a transfer from Air Reserve to Reg Force as a fully qualified pilot in the CF? 

Just for the benefit of the OP, who you are giving advice to here on the ways of the CF, please post any and all relevant experience you have in the CF. 

And no, you can’t just “walk away” freely from ROTP. Technically you can (from what I’ve read), but you will incur financial problems because the CF paid for your degree. Do a search on this, lots of information on this.

Ok, so you can, or you can't?  Which one?  What are these financial problems that one will incur exactly?  Why not post some of the link to threads you found when you did your search on what the OP asked?

tic toc tic toc...

Did i say something wrong? ???
To avoid any confusion, I clearly stated "(from what I’ve read, it’s a long process, but worth it if you plan properly)" for your first quote. And, "(from what I’ve read)" for your second quote. But you are right, I should have mentioned basic military training, not training as a pilot.

As for quoting my searches, these were things I read before the OP posted this thread. But here is the link about releasing from ROTP: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25753.0.html
Specifically what Michael O'Leary had said:
Once the period of obligatory service comes into effect, the reference, augmenting the QR&O, is DAOD 5049-1 (which superceded CFAO 15-7)"

DAOD 5049-1 - Obligatory Service

Voluntary Release

Members serving a period of obligatory service will not normally be
    released on request under Item 4 (Voluntary) of the table to QR&O article
    15.01, Release of Officers and Non-Commissioned Members.

A request for voluntary release by a CF member prior to the expiration of a
    period of obligatory service may be approved by DGMC when there are special
    and unforeseen circumstances and if the exigencies of the service permit.

Special and unforeseen circumstances are circumstances that are:

* compelling in nature; and

* unique or extraordinary to the member.

CF members who are granted a voluntary release for other than compassionate
    reasons prior to the expiration of a period of obligatory service are
    subject to repayment of costs associated with the subsidized education or
    training or to repayment of the Pilot Terminable Allowance, the Medical
    Officer Direct Entry Recruitment Allowance or the Dental Officer Direct
    Entry Recruitment Allowance.
Compassionate reasons are those that, in the
    opinion of DGMC:

* would seriously prejudice the health or welfare of a member or the
    member's immediate family if military service continued; and

* can only be improved as a result of release, as opposed to such
    other options as leave, leave without pay or posting.

The requirements for repayment by members who have received:

* subsidized education or training are found in QR&O 15.07, Voluntary
    Release After Subsidized Education or Training;

* the Pilot Terminable Allowance are found in QR&O 15.075, Voluntary
    Release After Receipt of Pilot Terminable Allowance; and

* the Medical Officer Direct Entry Recruitment Allowance or the Dental
    Officer Direct Entry Recruitment Allowance are found in QR&O 15.071,
    Voluntary Release After Receipt of Medical or Dental Officer Direct Entry
    Recruitment Allowance.

(amended 1999-04-01)

As a side note to the OP, I have no experience in the CF. What i stated were part of threads I've read in these forums. So I apologize if I made any mistakes.

pheonix5 said:
Hello, I'm seeking information in regards to the direction that would help me become a pilot. . . .

The right direction is the direction heading to a recruiting centre.  It is probably never too early to go there if you are seriously considering joining, especially under a subsidized education plan. They should be able to answer all (most?) of your questions.  If there is something you then don't understand, there are many on this forum with experience who may be able to help you.  However, a good suggestion would be to read a lot of the already existing threads - there are many (too many by some opinions) that deal with the questions you raised.

Hello
I’m seeking advice that will help me become a future pilot in the Canadian Air Force. I plan on making my application within a year to a year and a half from now, once in my final year of University.  (Conditional DEO )

The kind of advice I am looking for, is anything that could help me prepare for the test that will be administered to see if I am qualified.  I heard from various sources that a machine will tell me if I am qualified or not.

I am extremely dedicated towards this goal, and will go to great lengths to achieve this.  Any information that will help me prepare myself physical and mentally is greatly appreciated.

I am aware that I have the following requirements:

• 20/20 Eye Vision
  • University Degree(2 years to go), and College diploma (Between B+ and A- grades)
  • Great physical health

Is there anything else I should know about requirements?

This is what I am doing so far to help me achieve this goal

• Keeping in shape
  • Joining the Communications regiment, to acquire a skill set that may be useful (radio)

Is there anything else I should, ex: special exercises et cetera

Thanks for taking the time to read, and reply to my post.

Jean.

I've summarized my experiences from the first 4 years in the military and posted them on a blog. Hope new and potential recruits will find this helpful. Enjoy :)

http://frombootcamptoflying.blogspot.com/

Martin

A few things are wrong in your blog, maybe you should modify that (and I'm sure you already know) :

[...] So before your first actual flight you will do at least 10 sims.

It's actually 5 sims before you fly.

[...]Some of them are prerequisites to actual flights.

ALL of them

The grading system is simply pass or fail on the simulators.

Maybe it changed since I went through, but all sims in Moose Jaw were graded the same way a flight was.

Your actual aircraft missions are graded based on your performance starting from Super-Exceeded, High-Standard (aka. Snake), Achieved, Under-Achieved, Marginal and Unsuccessful.

Standard Exceeded (aka Snake), High Standard, Achieved Standard, Low Standard, Marginal, Unsat

What's cool about this place is that it's a NATO training center. This means that students from other countries like Hungary, Australia or Korea are also trained here.

Korea doesn't train in Canada.  Singapore does though.

I don't mean to pick on you, since this is great for people with questions, however I just want your stuff to be accurate :)

Max

So, you're in the CF but lived in Cancun, Mexico in 2008/2009 for 3 months??  ???

Is "bootcamp" a term in current use amongst OCDTs, or perhaps Pilots?

It used to be an Americanism.  Canadians tend(ed) to use the term "basic".  Much like the difference between "recce" and "recon", amongst others.

An interesting blog - I skimmed through a lot of it.

the goal is to be able to complete 13km in 2 hours (with 80 lbs on your back)

I'd never be able to stand up!!  :eek:

Oh and it's a rucksack, not a rack sack.  ;)

Side note: This exercise of removing a mask was meant to prepare us for a situation where one needs to share it with someone else.

Actually, the point of the exercise is to decontaminate yourself.  You would never share a gas mask with someone, at least, I wouldn't.  ::)

We also learned that there are some pills (used by special forces) that can immunize you from this gas. However, apparently there are some crazy side effects.

Really?  Since CS gas is attracted to moisture, I doubt there's a pill that can make you "immune" to it.

I think that he means pyridostigmine bromide tablets, which increase the effectiveness of atropine used to treat nerve agent poisoning.

It's also "damp" when referring to something that's moist, not "dump".

And just "drill", not "the drill", when referring to marching up and down the square.

"Mega" and "Topo" do not have to be all caps.

Overall, what I read seemed to be alright, but I had to give up as the incorrect terminology and spelling grated too much.

I was trying to decide if it was actually written by somebody who had lived through it or not. I expect a little more attention to detail from somebody who had.

I really enjoyed reading this - interesting especially as I'm applying for pilot shortly.

I don't think you said, or maybe I just didn't see - what are you flying now??

Tried the search function, but either I'm retarded or it doesn't function properly.

Can anyone verify the work hours posted for a CF-18 Pilot in the "Jets and your Future" category?

Regards

Thanks everyone for feedback. I corrected the major errors. And to clarify, I wasn't able to complete the training and was subsequently released at the end of 2008 :( However, any information I provide on the phases past the graduation are still valid as I obtain that from my colleagues in the forces. I'm glad that someone else can benefit from these notes.

SupersonicMax said:
12-14 hours day, with roughly 250 hrs of flying a year, give or take.

Rough. Seems to be one of those things you have to be highly motivated for.

Stukov said:
Rough. Seems to be one of those things you have to be highly motivated for.

Canadian taxpayres enjoy letting pilots have an easy life, laying back with nothing to do for 16 hours a day.  :boring:

You have to work you brains and ass off in four hours a day to earn a pilot spot. [/sarcasm]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back