• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Self Evaluation and Preparing for Fitness Test & Course.

Ladies and Gents,

Some good advice. The general theme is bang on: start now with as much as you can and stick with it. A regular routine is the only way to get into shape and keep it. I recommend you start running, when the legs start screaming, walk...give yourself some time to recover(five mins should do it) and continue running until you reach your target distance. Within six months you should be able to run 5km at a fair pace. The walking and running routine may seem wimpy or you may feel discouraged because you will not see improvements overnight, but if you keep trying, you will succeed.

Just as important as personal drive is scheduling your training so you get sufficient rest. If you try to do too much too fast, your chance of sustaining injuries increases, forcing you to miss training. Start now. Don't wait a week before enlisting and start cramming for the PT test.

I am not sure what the policy is for "plugging" websites, but this is just a recommendation: go visit www.crossfit.com. They have video clips on how to do some exercises. If you follow their work out routine, you will be in pain, but its good training. I'm trying to keep up with their regime myself.

Good luck. 

When I first started exercising I was in terrible shape. I couldn't even run 1 km, not because I was fat, just because of how unfit I was. Then I just kept on running four times a week, until I got up to 1 mile, two miles, three miles, last time around I ran about 8 miles one day. Just keep on working out, and keep it consistent and you should be able to improve your physical fitness dramatically.

SOmething that I've noticed from my start of training is DIET. This is very important. I used to be 235 lbs, 20 % body fat. Ever since I started running at the university track and eating a lot more fiber and balancing my food groups, cutting the fatty stuff and dropping junk food entirely, I've changed to 230 lbs, 10 % body fat in 4 months. It's dramatic how much your diet affects your fitness. Eat healthy, train hard but safely, and you will succeed. And, in the best interests of the CF, believe me, it helps to train in a group.

Sigs said:
I am 36 years old and can't beleive how out of shape people joining today are. Yes they find it hard because they were too lazy to prepare themselves first. You are doing the right thing by training before joining...keep up the good work.  

Then how did they pass physical testing?

Do officers have the same physical trianing becaus eI see a lot of officers that are out of shape

I don't know if this was posted yet, however I have burned a copy of the shuttle run onto cd.  Which I will be using at least once a week.

It is not the same recording as we use here in canada, I got it from the Australian Military Site.  It is quite close.  I tried getting a copy from PSP, they would not give me a copy.

Grumble

I am hoping this will make the difference. For my running if I do sprints at least once a week.

I'm 6'0 193lbs... A bit is muscle... trying to poke through some flab :p

I'm confident that it'll be gone before BMQ's gone.

A great site I frequent is:

discussfitness.com

Great threads, great advice, and lots of experience to draw from.

Generally speaking, anyone looking to start getting in shape is going to need a strength AND a cardiovascular training plan. Oh yes, can't forget, your fitness training isn't going to go anywhere unless you modify your DIET (and I don't mean a yo-yo diet, I mean permanently evaluating and adjusting how you eat).

One last component is DEDICATION. If you can't put your mind to the above, then forget about it. On the other side of the coin, if you have the drive to get in shape, then you'll surprise yourself by what you can accomplish.

I'm living proof.  8) ;)

Let me see if if I have this right , you are just starting out with the running and strength building? If that is case then some of the advice given is not right. As they say you must walk before you run and believe me that is not far off the mark when it comes to this.

You must set bench marks for your self but at the same time work up to everything you do. Jogging is better than walking and running is for short distances unless you are racing. You must build endurance and then speed will come automatically. You can alternate between the two (running and jogging) but don't be disappointed if the times and distances are very different.

You must also spend a good amount of time stretching before you run which most people don't do properly or long enough. This can greatly decrease endurance and distance.

For me, I will spend no less that ten minutes stretching before a 5-8 km run and longer depending on the distance.

Time of day also will make a difference and most will tell you that first thing in the morning is generally better. Irregardless, don't let that stop you from training from one day to the next but do expect to slight differences in performance depending on that factor.

Good shoes is a must. Running shoes for running. Comfort is also a must. Forget fashion as this tends to get some people into trouble as they think that that $200 pair of sneakers is going to make them that much better, WRONG.

Now as far as the gym goes, not required. Unless you are looking to be in a crowd and need support you can do everything outside or in your own home. I have been running for 31 years 67,000 km and exercising and never had a gym membership.

As for the biking. I also bike (365days a year) and contrary to popular believe it does help with running if you do it right. It has to be a work out. I started bike while posted in Germany in 84 and it became infectious. I have done a lott of it but the thing for me is that I make it a challenge by riding at the highest gear ratio as I can. I presently have a 21 speed and very seldom do I use anything but 20th gear.

To finish..... if you plays sports formal or recreation keep that up as well. You must have fun as well. Variety is a good thing and will take the tedium out training.

Hope this helps

I just thought I'd throw my $ 0.02 CDN in....

I notice that everyone is worried about running and push-up and all that fun jazz. Something EVERYONE seems to overlook is from your waist down. Your legs contain one of your biggest muscle groups, your quadriceps.  If you want to grow muscle, I'd suggest doing some squats, because what will happen is your body will release more testosterone into your body to help repair and make your leg muscles stronger, and it will also help in upper body growth. Not to mention the leg exercises will help your body burn more calories, and help you with running. It will give you more power in your run, muscular endurance, which in the long run will make you a better runner.
I've noticed since I have incorporated a solid lower body routine my gains have increased all over the place.  Remember, more testosterone = more muscle growth

Squats can be as simple as using your own body weight. You don't need a gym to do them, you just may have to do more of them.

You are not wrong about the quadriceps. Weakness in that muscle group is the largest contributor to knee pain.

But they also can be built by up hill/stairs running, biking, Xcountry skiing, and or skating.

Lunges should be included in your workouts.

To work on your running hit the stairs and go full out, when you get to the top to a set of pushups and head straight back down, then back up and then do asy 40-50 jumping jacks and back down.
Here are a list of things to do
Pushups, jumping jacks, squats, sprinter strides, burpies, lunges, and situps every time you hit the top.
If you dont have stairs to run then do 200-300m sprints. Also like someone noted at night hit the local jungle gym and work on those chin ups, they are my demise. Ive been working on it thogh and can now do 6 instead of 4, im getting there. Also here is a really good site of workouts that I do every morning before I shower, http://www.sivamdesign.com/home/fitness/no_wgts.html.

Hope this helps
pte.Bullock

you have to concentrate on running and pushups because young fresh platoon commanders right out of rmc like to run the guts out of the troops to prove who the top dog is.  they get leader legs, which everyone gets when your leading a run and people start falling out.  somehow it motivates you to run faster.  the trick is if your in the front to talk to him.  he will keep a slower pace as long as he is talking.  but in all honesty the best thing to bring up your running is wind sprints.  also drink a coffee before the run, the caffine will give you that little boost, or it can make you hit the blue rocket along the route, then your home free because the platoon will be gone when your done and you can run at your own pace.

Gents
how are you? I am currently waiting to hear for my ROTP AF Pilot application. My ACS test is scheduled for May and I haven't heard anything in regards to my Physical Test.
I've been working out regularly for the past few weeks and I tested myself today.

5km run - 18min 44sec. (my long distance/cross country running background)
Push ups - 25 non stop
Chin ups - 2
Sit ups - 40 in a minute.

I know these are fine for the Fitness Test but is there anything else I need to improve on for Basic Officer Training.
Any suggestions etc???
Thanks

I'll start from the top.

I am starting a physical training program to prepare me before I apply for the reg forces.
I hope to become an LCIS TECH, which by what I read includes BMQ and SQ Training.

Am I to understand that the 'combat arms' training that was referred to before (the one with ,
the loads of all that fun running) is the SQ training I will be taking?

Either way I plan to do more running then I ever have in the next 6 months to prepare myself.

Just wondering what I have to look foreward to.

Check out this web site. It has video and different advices. However aimed towards boxing it's great for any sport. See the way he does pull-ups/ chinups. I would never thought of doing them that way
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles.html

Well , now that Ive done the interview/test. Next step is the PT, which has me really worried not because I cant do it BUT because they pushed it so fast. I started the application with the mind set (and word of the recruiter )I would have 2+ months to prepare. I can do the minimum the very minimum.  I see joining the forces as something you do when you are at the your personal best. I don't see my self at my personal best yet, However the application process has been so fast that they booked the medical/PT RIGHT AWAY.  Should being able to do the minimum really be enough to qualify?

Brixxie

If you can do the minimum than thats fine but you should always be shooting for your best. Never settle for the minimums. When you go to BMQ you will be doing PT everyday and the minimums in the CF PT test are exactly those. The instructors will push you. I know its been said before a million times on these boards but physically prepare yourself because BMQ is hard enough without not being physically fit enough. Have fun and Good luck.

Pte. Goyer

Back