• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Self Evaluation and Preparing for Fitness Test & Course.

i was a 100m sprinter, and 200m. Right up to when i shattered two bones in my leg 9 months ago. I was supposed to be going to nationals this year...
anyways yeah. when i was still in training, i could do laps in 1:30. This was due to conditioning. We would do 400m full sprints. 2-3 min. of rests. and then another, then another rest then another 400m sprint. and then go do some plyo. we would also do 6-9 sets of 50 m sprints. 4 sets of 100 m sprints. If you are training for long distance, add in a 5k run every sunday. Tuesday and Thursday do sprints. Monday and Wednesday do weight lifting, or plyo, cardio, something along those lines. Doing this you should be able to do 5 laps no prob, and spring the last 200m and get at least 6 laps in 11 min. most likely closer to 10 1/2. Cept my doctor tells me i‘m now 2 years behind in sprint training :eek: :crybaby:

I was testing myself today after my ortho appointment and i practised running.  I ran the 5 km on a hard, dry, and very bumpy grass field and i noticed i didn't come even close to wat i need.  I got 5 km in 47 min 14 sec and 01 milisec  (47:14:01)  and i had speed walked the whole thing except for the last 200 metres.  Does anyone have any ideas of whether i did OK for walking?? or should i run the whole thing?

Thank you in advance for any sort of reply. :)

if you want to improve cardio, dont walk

Start off running 2.5 km  for a few weeks and push yourself hard for good times.
then try bumping it up to 5km for a few more weeks.

yeah.. i should do it but i think i suck so bad at cardio that i can't even do 2.5 i think ill run as much as possible to fnd out wat i got. or something... u know wat im tryin to get at?? I plan on doing the Military CO OP in grade 11 (im grade 10 this year) and so i decided to do some training now... i need alot of advice on all training areas and what to expect in the co op...

I see you're in grade 10... ask your school PT folks for help. They should be able to put together a programme for you. Failing that, get out on the track. Start by walking one lap, then jogging the next. Continue this for a week then walk one, jog two. Next week, walk one jog three... and so on. Train every other day until you can do four laps running. Continue training until you get your 5km down to about 25 minutes. Ask the PT folks at school if they will measure your VO2 max. They should have the ability to do this. The improvement in your VO2 max over time is the best measure of improvement. When you train, you want to keep your heart rate in the 70-80% of your max for the best aerobic benefit. If you train at a higher rate, you're in the anaerobic zone. If all you can do is walk and hit your target heart rate, then walk.

Join a beginners run club.  You will learn proper running technique, nutrition, etc. and running with a group will help with your motivation.
Best of luck,
Greg

thanks guys... i will try the progressed training and when i start school i will get my VO2 checked... i should do the track team and i'm still open to new training ideas for other aspects of Military CO OP!!

THANKS!!

Right now I wouldn't be too concerned about your time, work on your distance, if you run say 4 laps one day w/o walking then the next day/week run 5 laps becuse you KNOW you can run 4, the next day run 6,   so on and so forth.   Just make sure u run/jog/shuffle, and not walk; walking will not do you much good.   Then when you get comfortable with your distance and form, then start to time yourself and try to go faster.  

This is a program I used to get started a few months ago, it may seem hard now but now when I look back at it it seems a whole lot easier.

Running
Week 1: Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 2 miles per day, 8:30 pace 6 miles/week
Week 2: Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 2 miles per day, 8:30 pace 6 miles/week
Week 3: No running - High risk for injury
Week 4: Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 3 miles per day
Week 5: Monday - 2 mi, Tuesday - 3 mi, Thursday - 4 mi, Friday - 2 mi
Week 6: Monday - 2 mi, Tuesday - 3 mi, Thursday - 4 mi, Friday - 2 mi
Week 7: Monday - 4 mi, Tuesday - 4 mi, Thursday - 5 mi, Friday - 3 mi
Week 8: Monday - 4 mi, Tuesday - 4 mi, Thursday - 5 mi, Friday - 3 mi
Week 9: Monday - 4 mi, Tuesday - 4 mi, Thursday - 5 mi, Friday - 3 mi

Take a look at this, if it seems alright to you then give it a try, but dont worry about the 8:30/mile because as I said before right now you should work on your distance.

Hope this helps.

This will help alot... i always noticed that i needed a specific plan.. is there any way to incorporate some sort of running or jogging weak 3? i will be training for sept, nov, dec, jan, feb, march, april, may, june, july, august, sept. (and maybe until dec because i have all of grade 10 and half of grade 11 to train)  i hope these info guidelines help give info....

I need help with chin ups too.. i can only do a couple but i can dead-lift almost 200 lbs.... so i guess i need help with that

and one last thing... what is the "grip test" like wat do u do?

I wouldn't advise doing any running during week 3, because there is high risk for stress fractures and other such problems that would really put you out.   Don't worry about the handgrip test, you shouldnt have a problem with it (people rarely do)

For the chinups you might want to try doing some lat pulldowns (wide and narrow grip) and some upright rowing, that should he,p but the only way to really work on that is to do chinups, and lots of them.   I have another program that I got off the internet that I used to get me started for [ushups, situps and chinups,   it is a really good program, youll amaze yourself how much you'll improve useing it.

PHYSICAL TRAINING SCHEDULE I (Mon/Wed/Fri)
SETS OF REPETITIONS
WEEK #1: 4X15 PUSHUPS
4X20 SITUPS
3X3 PULL UPS
WEEK #2: 5X20 PUSHUPS
5X20 SITUPS
3X3 PULL UPS
WEEK #3,4: 5X25 PUSHUPS
5X25 SITUPS
3X4 PULL UPS
WEEK #5,6: 6X25 PUSHUPS
6X25 SITUPS
2X8 PULL UPS
WEEK #7,8: 6X30 PUSHUPS
6X30 SITUPS
2X10 PULL UPS
WEEK #9: 6X30 PUSHUPS
6X30 SITUPS
3X10 PULL UPS

Try to do these right after your runs.    I added a week between 1 and 2, did 5x15,
helped with the transition a lot.   When I started doing this program I could barely do the 4 sets of 15, now I'm doing 6x40 pushups/situps, so you will see improvements if you do decide to do this.  

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!!  ;D ;D ;D :D :D You guys are awesome!  I think this will help a whole load and if there are any more suggestions keep em comin...

I still remain with the question (now that i'm not worried about it) what IS the grip test?? is it like pick up dead weiht or is it squeezin?? i heard both so i am a litle needy for info lol...

THANK YOU!!

It is a squeeze.  If you are deadlifting, your grip is probably fine.  If you are still worried, add some wrist curls or buy yourself a "gripper" (two handles between a heavy duty spring).
Goodluck with your training, oh yeah, and join the football team.  You will get lots of running with them and you get to hit people, legally. ;D
Greg

NICE!! i should do that.... I know i will be fine for the Grip test so i wont worry bout it.. but i will probably join Football (i'm small though so i'll get smoked lol) but nonetheless i'll try out.

Thanks again... ALL advice still taken..

Hey man. To build your cardio you need to run at least 3 times per week with 30 mins in your target heartrate each time you run. Try to run on flat, even pavement. Running on a rubber track would be best. My highschool had a rubberized track. Try to avoid the treadmil because running outside and runing on the treadmil is quite different. You will be running for months on the treadmill and then you run outside and you arnt worth a shit. Make sure you stretch well before and after for at least 15 mins or so. Do a warm up aproz 10 mins before you stretch to get the blood flowiing.  Also great shoes is a must and take small strides so less force and strain on joints + muscles. This is also to avoid coming down on the heel. Watch out for shin splints. If you start to get them try this. Stand with your feet together and bring the front part of your foot while keepign the heels down. Do this until you cant stand to do anymore. This also works well to prevent. Remember prevention - good shoes, stretch before and after, smoth, flat terrian. :cdn:

Ryan_Bohm said:
Hey man. To build your cardio you need to run at least 3 times per week with 30 mins in your target heartrate each time you run. Try to run on flat, even pavement. Running on a rubber track would be best. My highschool had a rubberized track. Try to avoid the treadmil because running outside and runing on the treadmil is quite different. You will be running for months on the treadmill and then you run outside and you arnt worth a crap. Make sure you stretch well before and after for at least 15 mins or so. Do a warm up aproz 10 mins before you stretch to get the blood flowiing.   Also great shoes is a must and take small strides so less force and strain on joints + muscles. This is also to avoid coming down on the heel. Watch out for shin splints. If you start to get them try this. Stand with your feet together and bring the front part of your foot while keepign the heels down. Do this until you cant stand to do anymore. This also works well to prevent. Remember prevention - good shoes, stretch before and after, smoth, flat terrian. :cdn:

Is biking a good way to build cardio? i biked almost everyday this summer doing about 15Km a day

The best way to build cardio is runing like I said. Since you will run 3 times per week, offset the other days by biking. Some of the world class bikers can bike like hell but cant run worth a shit. In the army you will need to run, so the best way to train for it is to run. PAtty you said you biked 15K - what pace? How long did it take you. Like I said before you have to be in your target heart rate for at lease 30 mins , its alot harder to do that while biking. :cdn:

heya, I used to bike quite abit and at a fair pace and I found that once I abandoned my first love for these lowly feet I could not run in the least. My lungs and quads would never tire but my my lower legs had a definite lack of muscle so I would finish runs sweating and clasping my lower legs.. now this might have been some sort of phenomena but thus said, I think that you should keep biking as a means to cool down and burn off the lactic acid.. just my two cents...

A 10 min bike is a good warm up before stretchinig for a run. It gets the blood flowing to all the muscles and makes it easier and safer to strectch.

Might have just been my BMQ this summer, but several candidates and myself actually got de-trained from BMQ, due to the recent changes in the PT program.  We hardly did anything to be considered running (unfortunately IMO).  Most training was focused on upper body work, mostly as punishment for screwing up :) Of course, its always best to try get ready as much as possible though, since you don't want to be one of the first people to give out.

WOW! That is some serious advice! Thankx for all the help and i am starting my new schedule soon... i will try to fit it in around my School schedulr lol but i am sure i can. :salute:

Back