• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Self Evaluation and Preparing for Fitness Test & Course.

jabraun said:
any "bigger" guys here I'm not to out of shape just have a few extra inches on me I'm 6'2 260 I just went out and got a personal trainer who now has me on a eating plan and weights for 1 hr then cardio for a hr 4 times a week and every week i get stronger anyway my question is I want to get the interview and physical test out of the way soon,how long did your training take to get done the PT test and interview etc?  :cdn:

Everyone's going to be different.  For me, I've been playing soccer for 20 years, so the cardio part was no big stress.  I'm 6'4 200, and can run like the wind.  ;)  The upper body strength is where I had the issue.  When I first realized that the 30 or so pushups I could do weren't military pushups, I figured no big deal, until I tried to do the military ones. :eek:  For a relatively skinny soccer player, it was a bit of a shock.  1 month of intensive upper body work and I've been able to meet my goals.  I'm still not where I want to be before I go to basic, but I've got a planned system that will get me there.

The best thing to do for you is to actually bring in the physical requirements that the CF wants to your physical trainer, and set some timed goals up for yourself.  (ie.  I'll be able to run the 2.4 in 15 by week 3, 12 by week 5, 10 by week 10, etc)  The trainer will be able to take the appropriate information about you and create some realistic goals.  The biggest thing to do is make a plan, and stick with it!  That being true, I'd better get my ass off to the gym instead of typing... :) Cheers, and good luck.

T

Hey fellas, I'm new here, but I have a couple of questions.   I currenlty lose about 90 lbs because I really want to join the force full time.   I'm planning to give in my papers in the begining January 05. but I heard it takes about a month to process. I want to take Infantry soilder as well. My question is, after I give my papers in, how long is the wait to take your physical, medical, and all that. And once you do actually get all of them done, how long does it usually take for them to send you to basic training?

Also about preparing for the fitness test, I run about 10 miles a week. I can run about 5 miles at once, and I run at about 6.0mph. But about a week ago I started doing the 1.5mile run to get under 11:56. My current time is at 11:30. But its been improving, I hope to get at about 10 mins or so.   I do pushups almost everyday, about 3 sets to fail, and the situps are the same.   Only things I'm worried about is the run...is it outside on a track or a measured pathway or what? I currently run on the treadmill, but I also run outside.   Anyways, I just wanted some tips on training and the info in the first paragraph too. Thanks in advance! :cdn:

By the way when I read that most wait for so long, are those the reserves or specific job fields? I heard they take infantry people pretty quickly, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Thanks again.

My question is, after I give my papers in, how long is the wait to take your physical, medical, and all that. And once you do actually get all of them done, how long does it usually take for them to send you to basic training?
Search the forum. Most of these questions have been answered. Read the recruiting FAQ here http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

All i can say about preparing for the fitness test is to continue to run. And stop running on a treadmill! Just push yourself a little bit more every time. Take a look here for fitness tips http://army.ca/forums/threads/22844.0.html  and http://army.ca/forums/threads/22788.0.html

Treadmills are generally not reliable in their calibration and tend to error on the side of saying you are going faster than you are; and its just not the same as running outside.

If you have to run on a treadmill set it no less then 2% incline.
Using a slight incline and gradually increasing either the speed or mileage of your treadmill runs.

And if you don't like the outdoors, what are you doing in the Canadian forces?

Heres a small article concerning stationary cardio equipment vs. outdoor activities debate: http://umanitoba.fitdv.com/new/articles/article.html?artid=31

You decide.

So would it be ok to run my 1.5 lets say m/w/f and my distance t/t/s...and have sunday off? And do the pushups situps on the 1.5mile run days?

Give yourself at least two days rest for your legs in a week if your a beginner(4 if you have no previous physical activity). The more experienced runners can run every day. This works for some, but breaks down many others. I prefer 6 days running a week; 3 hard runs and 3 easy runs between the hard runs. And the 7th day, rest or cross training. I use this method to train a few weeks before a race, ONLY. And in the last week of the race, i keep it easy runs, maybe 2 or 3 runs a week.

But my normal workout schedule is 3 days a week weight lifting and 3 days varied running(speed, hill, length). 

To answer your question. Yes its OK, unless your body cannot handle it. If so, take it back a notch and work up to that level! Don't forget to do hills or sprints once a week (or more) for speed development.

This is my personal experience. What works for me may not work for you.

this doesn't have to do with the fitness test, i've done it already when i got in last year, what i would like to know is how start putting on the lbs?. i have a high metablism and eat like a pig, ,but im pretty small 5'11 and 140lbs, ,most things that involve speed i don't have a problem doing its anything that involves strenious lifting, my back needs alot of work too. any ideas woulod be greatly appreciated (thumpers don't like me) lol. :cdn:

For you to gain weight you'll gain some fat too, you needs to eat alot of pasta, breads, fruits and protein. Eat close to bed, the extra calories will help put on muscle but expect some fat gain. limit your cardio, you needs only enough to maintain a constant weight increase and burn some of the fat gained, not all because the abundance of calories will create muscle.

new question on this thread......
re: handgrip test

did I read the dnd info correctly, a combined score of 75, I just did one here at civvie job and I did a 71 right and 68 left, a combined score of 75 seems low, any info would be great.

respect

I'm taking my PT next week and have been running at 2.4 for the last 2 or 3 months...I can do it easily in under 12 min...I'm 16, 5"9 3/4 and weigh 150...Just wondering what you think a good time for the reserve PT would be and how long it takes you guys to do it.

Can't wait to start  >:D :threat:

For your age cat you need to run it in under 11:56, they web site for DND says 10:13 is superior.I would say run closer to the 10:13 mark if you want to impress.  Me I am 33, 5'10 and 240lbs and I run it in 12:00 flat on average but my all time best is 11:55.

have at 'er.

Well, I guess I'll share my workout plan with all of you. Right now I have made it my objective to get in excellent physical condition before applying for a police service or the military. So here is what I do in a week.

Run 3-4 times a week doing atleast 5km a day
4-5 sets of 35 pushups
4-5 sets of 40 crunch's [lifting the back half way to what a normal pushup would be]
I also have a stretching exercises which I do before and after each exercise.

I find that this excerise is by far the best for myself. By the time I'm doing the final set of 35 pushups my arm's are completely tired.

I'm scheduled for the fitness evaluation soon and I'm just wondering whether I'll be ok for Basic with my current abilities. I can do about 30 pushups (properly), 30 situps, 6 or 7 chinups, and run the 2.4k in almost 9:30 (well that was in the summer, nowadays it's closer to 10:20). I know that this is more than fine for the fitness evaluation, but am I at least somewhat prepapred for what comes after?

Well Let's start by saying I'm new here and plan to join the military somtime in '06 or later.

the problem is I'm in pretty bad shape.
6'1 209lbs and unfortunatly, not much of it is muscle...

I can do the 2.4k in about 13mins.
I'd be lucky to do more then 5 military push-ups.
I can do atleast 30 sit-ups before I start feeling the burn bad.

My diet isn't great either. Pretty much consists of cereal in the morning and a hefty portion of dinner.

Any good plans to get me on the right track? I don't have much spare time during the day, and most of my day is spent trying to fall asleep or trying to stay awake on transit.
I don't have time for the gym, and only have some free wieghts, a basic work-out bench, and a tredmill (Prefer outside).

My worst problem is sticking to a plan. I start missing one day for what ever reason, then that goes to two days shortly after. Sooner then later I've forgotten about the whole thing.

Well I am not going to lie to ya, you have a little bit of work to do but dont worry I've been there too. After years of training I now do five kilometres in 16:28 road race.

The most important part of a workout is dedication. If you start making up reasons to miss workouts your going to fail. I know friends that miss workouts and try and make it up with supplements. This is not a good idea....I could give you the best workout schedule in the world, but if your not consistant it is a waste of time. If you missed a program during the day try and do it before you go to bed. I feel bad when I miss a day... :(

Anyway, about the program, try running every day and doing 25 to thirty minutes. I find that if you do any more you start burning muscle...and thats not good. Try and keep the intensity up, I find that a level in which talking becomes a problem is good. If you dont have a high intesity and you are not sweating...your wasting your time. Every second to third day you should also do sprints. 200 metres fast, 200 metres slow, if you have a watch a 1:1.5 ratio. For every minutes fast, do 1.5 minutes slow.

Weight training is more difficult. If you do not have proper training in technic, not only are you wasting your time....you might urt yourself. But if you do have training. Do one day of chest, another of back, another of arms, another of rest. When doing chest, for every set of bench press, try and max your pushups then do another set of bench press. Do the same for back. Abs will take care of themselves with the running and sprinting, and who wants to do abs anyway. With running, most people I know can do 100 on the test anyway..

Nutrition....well if you eat like crap...you will become it. In the military its easy to go to the salad bar and eat healthy. In a meal at lunch and diner try and have only one plate. one third meat, one third starch, one third vegetables. For snacks eat fruit...

This is long so I dont know if you will read it but here are a few ideas for you...

I wouldn't expect a short answer, many thanks! Working on it. Lost 8 pounds in 2 days. Getting there...

Good job Wolvaroo keep it up man and you'll be lean and mean and remember excercise and a proper diet are the key elements of getting in shape!! keep up the good work :salute:

keep in mind ive dropped weight rapidly for weigh ins for fighting
10 lbs in 36 hours, ur going to feel weaker if you go down very fast
and remember dont cut ur water because u feel like cutting weight
WATER IS YOUR VERY BEST FRIEND you sweat it out easy
weight yourself the same time every day

celery is ur friend (u burn more carbs chewing it than it gives you)
chicken stir frys (lots of veggies)
watermelon (very tasty and good for cutting weight fast)
research fat emulsafyers (spelling?)  such things as blue berries
they will grab fat and leave ur body keep up the good work

and dingogunner drop me a line at schwick_69@hotmail.com
i wanna talk to u about ur running plan to get ur 5k down that fast its impressive

Just my two cents worth, but there's nothing wrong with running over 25-30 mins. Yes you will start burning muscle, but if you diet properly and eat enough protein, your body will rebuild it. From experience: trained for a marathon in 3 months. Was 200lbs before I started training and was a trim 178 after I finished the race. Including weight training is good too because they you'll gain weight in muscle while you're losing it in fat. Ate healthy (veggies, meat minus the fat, fruits and occassional goodies) and trained almost everyday. A word of warning though. The days you do a larger amount of running should be followed by a more relaxed day. For example: my Saturdays were long run days of upwards of 18-20 miles. They were followed by days where I ran 4 miles. If you're looking for some good training plans on how to regulate your running, check out runningroom.com.

Cheers.

Back