• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Self Evaluation and Preparing for Fitness Test & Course.

Caz

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I‘m in the process of getting some information nailed down and some courses completed so I can apply as a current undergraduate student to ROTP.

Hopefully, I will be able to get the CF to take me on as an AEC, Plt, or Log O, subsidizing the final two years of my B.Admin at my current university.

I‘ve been in heavy contact with my CFRC, and just about have all the details nailed down.

My question is simple - what is the best way to bring my level of physical fitness up for the Fitness test?  I do need to build upper-body strength, and I bet working on stamina and cardio would be to my advantage.  Thoughts?

Cheers!

Well if you havent already started running I suggest you start now..

I currently run 2.4km (bad days) too 5km (good days) every day.

Get a gym membership and rotate the differnt muscle groups in differnt days.

Do situps/pushups and if you cant afford a Gym membership do more sets then usall.

also, another cheap way to work upper body is hitting your local elementry school (do it at night) and do chinups and the monkey bars back and forth. It‘s a good way to work upper body..

Thanks much, Dire!

I‘ve never been much of a runner - more of a cyclist. I‘m moving from outside Calgary to inside Calgary in two weeks, and will hopefully be cycling to work.

Though, it would be a good time to put those new runners to a test :)

-R

Hey Caz,

The cycling is really good for the cardio but you really need to be running. I was in Spain racing my bike when I started training for my fitness test, and despite being able to ride 120km in just over 3 and 1/2 hours, I found I couldn‘t even run the 2.4km without dropping to a walk.

Running uses far more muscles than cycling and you really need to be training them all.

riding the bike is a good alternative but not a replacement for running.

I suggest Monday, Wensday, Friday, Sunday you do the 2.4km + and Tuesday, Thursday and Sat you do the biking.. Unless you just want to run every-day like myself..

I havent ran since I tore my ACL until a 2 months ago. So when I came back to running I found it quite difficult. All you gotta do is push yourself. It‘s ok if you get too tired and need a walk, but dont stop, walk the lap then start running again.. I suggest running around a track since it‘s easier to count your laps and take the needed walking breaks..

Im just finally pushing the 5km without stopping. I can run the 2.4km no problem.

Also, just don‘t jog.. You gotta do some sprints to better your speed. So maybe 1 day jog the 2.4+km and the next do lap sprints.. (lap sprints are sprinting the whole lap and then taking a break then doing another lap as fast as you can)

I hope that helps :)

Sweet, thanks guys, appreciate it!

I‘ll probably cycle everyday (until the dead frickin‘ cold of winter) as it‘s the best way for me to get to my civ job right now, and then run in the evenings at least three days a week.

And I‘ll look into that gym membership :)

Go RegF! :mg: (though, like as an AEC, I‘ll ever be firing that!)

-R

So I went for a run today. Made it just over 2km before dropping to a walk (ugh). E-town, you are 100% bang-on - I can cycle far, but man my legs were yelling at me.

Walked back for about 250m, and then a run again. Decided to go the back way up to my house - of course, I didn‘t take well to the 400m long, 8% grade hill ;)

One step at a time :D

Does anyone have a link to/a copy of the fitness standards?

-R

I run a day, skip a day... Todays I did 1.5kms, the running day before that I could only do 1 km. Im hoping to be up to 3.5ish kms by August. Also, I have to start push ups and stuff, but I need some good techniques for building up muscle endurance. Any suggestions?

Also, I have to start push ups and stuff, but I need some good techniques for building up muscle endurance. Any suggestions?
There are several ways. It‘s easier to suggest when we know more about you though?

Are you currently capable of doing pushups? How many?

A lot of people, who aren‘t very physically active up until they decided to join the military often have tendon strength issues.

A good way to work on the endurance, is to get into the pushup position (lay flat out, palms close to shoulders) Do a full pushup. When you are fully up, very slowly bring yourself down until your just about touching the ground. Make certain nothing but your hands and feet are touching. Hold the position for about 5 seconds, and repeat. Depending on what you are currently capable of, you can adapt this by adding weights in a school bag and strapping it on for the practice. Best way to do these are in rotations. So do 5, work another muscle group (say abs), then come back and do another 5. Work another muscle group (quads - squats) another 5, and so on. Make sure to get your cardio up beforehand, just quickly go up a flight of stairs once or twice to bring it up before you start the excercises. Make certain to stretch your arms and legs before and after the workout.

good luck

I‘m not sure if this will work for most people, but its an alternative to the standard help for push-ups. When I joined the military my strength was already at the point were I could pass the test easily. This was without working out everyday ( infact long stretch‘s of doing nothing ).

However I love physical sports ( olympic wrestling, football, hockey ), and this is what put me at such a great level of strength. So just go out and play some sports. Again maybe this won‘t help you ( as much ) but looking back I was never at the point were I started at 5-10-15 push ups...the lowest was like 20 ..when I was 15.

Hehe, when I was fifteen I was doing a 100 easily. Now I‘m doing far less, but I‘m still really well above the minimum. amusing how different we get as we get older.

lol...thing being I was skinny ( sprinter ) till I was like late 15‘s then I started gettin bulk.. 100 push-ups eh...proper ( as in how the military makes you do ‘em )?

To keep in shape lift weights,hit a heavy bag( for speed,power,and endurance),do martial arts,sit ups,push ups,running,skipping,and perhaps add swimming.

Keep on running. Don‘t just jog, keep your heart rate high. Jogging is for fat lose. You have to really run/sprint in bursts to train.

Make sure you have a good diet to keep your metabolism steady. If you want to go technical, eat small meals every 2 hours, with plenty of protein, low carb/fat and this would keep the metabolism steady and energy in top notch.

I‘m 16, and also starting to run since I want to keep my fitness levels up. I‘m planning go join the CF after I finish university/college, so I have atleast 5 years to train.

I‘m pretty skinny, 5‘8" at 140-145lb. Is my weight a problem? When I think about guys in the military I think about huge strong muscular guys, but I‘m still pretty small.

I‘m at about 10-13% bodyfat, and can bench press 165-175lbs max, which is just alright for my size I guess.

Well, Im not sure if the fitness tests are based on jogging or sprinting. If its sprinting then I dont see how its possible :\

The fitness test is actually a step aerobic test that measures your aerobic ability. The are looking for the equivelant of a 2.4km run.

The recommendation I saw, however, said that being able to run 5km before you take the test (or go to Basic) is recommended :) Hedge your bets a bit, y‘know?

Thanks all, for the info. Running went a little better today (2.5km), and we‘ll see what it‘s like in a couple of weeks!

Also, for endurance building (yes, the tendons are a little weak at the moment), thanks for the tips :D

-R

lol, is that RUNNING or jogging? Thats where my confusion is coming from :( In order to meet 2.4 km in just under 12 minuites in an actualy RUN you would have to go at about 12kms a hour. I jog about 6km/h to 8km/h depending on how I feel.

Running or jogging is relative. At a similar speed, a guy 6‘2" will set a different gait than a guy 5‘7". The shorter guy will move his legs more.

The question is speed or the pace set to run or jog 2.4 kms in about 12 mins. It can be converted to running an 8 minute mile. So if you can run a mile in 8 minutes, or 2.4 kms in about 12 minutes, then you are excellent. Yet, thats just a marker for the fitness test.

In BMQ, the expectation is for the recruit to run upwards of 5 or 6 kms. I don‘t believe theres a time limit on that. In the 3rd or 4th week of BMQ, a fitness assessment is done and another fitness level is expected. Over BMQ, they work the recruit up during the 11 weeks.

I think those who can run 2.4 kms in 15 mins have the VO2 and stamina to be successful.

But don‘t get stuck on that. At the end of BMQ, an obstacle course and later a 15 km ruck march has to be done in 2 hrs 26 mins or something like that. I‘m not sure if there is a pass or fail if the time in not meant. But that march not only takes good VO2, but good upper and lower strength and stamina.

As they say, its better to be in the good overall physical shape before you get there. For those who are in poorer condition, those PT sessions will be more difficult but not impossible if you‘ve meant the minimum standards.

If you have access to a standard 400m track, the PT requirements are much easier to figure out.

While running, I mathematically figured out a good way of pacing myself. 2.4km = 6 laps around a 400m track. If you wish to meet the minimum of just under 12 minutes, each lap has to be completed within 2 minutes. Carry a stopwatch with you, and time each lap. If your first few laps come in over 2min, speed up to compensate.

I used to be a 100m-sprinter, so I am absolutely despicable for pacing myself. I find keeping a constant time for each lap really helps me pace myself more.

I‘d have to agree with Bert though - if you can do the 2.4km in 15 min or so, you should pass the Fitness Test. However, as mentioned as well, you‘d likely struggle during Basic. I‘m personally waiting until I can do it in about 11 or so, before proceeding.

Back