• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

Johnnyfive said:
I don't think this will be a problem for me.  Like I said my issues with running stemmed from lack of proper footwear not loss of breath and I still remain fairly active though out the rest of the day, I still haven't gone for a run at 0500 though.    Now that I've changed my shoes, 5k is not a big deal, hopefully by the time I leave 10k wont be a big deal either.

Maybe your injury healed? Either that, or the shoes you had before were absolutely awful, or the new ones you bought are some super shoes.

Regardless, congrats on the improvement. Keep it up buddy.

yeah the shoes where bad, I just didn't think they where THAT bad.  Before my ankles and calves where super hurting and my feet where swelling big time after only about 2k, but my last run was much much less painful right through to the end.  %200 improvement  ;D

Thanks for the support!

Thanks again all for all the helpful info and what not. I missed summer BMQ due to an error in my application that took more than a year to correct ><. But they have kept in touch throughout all of summer notifying me whats goin on and I will be doing Weekend BMQ. From what I hear, it's not AS strenuous as full time BMQ unless you don't keep in shape throughout the weeks. I think weekend will be much better for me as I it will give me more and more time to elaborate on my current fitness :D. Thanks again all :D. As for my runnings its getting much better, I hit 8ks without stopping running a public regulation track :D.

Sorry to derail this, but just a quick question. I just applied to the CF for pilot in July, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm just wondering how long do I have to get up to shape before the testing starts? I have been running 3 times a week for 2 weeks now and am improving slowly (from abysmal to less abysmal). I can do push ups and sit ups but plan to work on them full out once school starts in a few weeks (nice free gym). I'm mostly scared out of my wits for running, and would welcome some advice regarding timelines and testing. I did some searches here and got a few results but none (that I could find) confirmed 100%. Some said the only testing was at BMQ, some said it was done at the CFRC, some it's a beep test, some it's a step test?

Any advice would be welcomed, and yes, if no one knows, I will call the CFRC. Thanks in advance.

Johnnyfive said:
yeah the shoes where bad, I just didn't think they where THAT bad.  Before my ankles and calves where super hurting and my feet where swelling big time after only about 2k, but my last run was much much less painful right through to the end.  %200 improvement  ;D

Thanks for the support!

Johnny5, regardless of the shoe though if you change your running environment e.g. flat to hills you will likely experience soreness in your ankles and legs. That's why you should vary where you run so you get used to all types of terrain. Stay away from concrete road if you want to keep your original knees. Running on the grass boulevard (avoiding dog doodoo) is probably the best place to save your knees.

DaveTee said:
Sorry to derail this, but just a quick question. I just applied to the CF for pilot in July, and haven't heard anything yet. I'm just wondering how long do I have to get up to shape before the testing starts? I have been running 3 times a week for 2 weeks now and am improving slowly (from abysmal to less abysmal). I can do push ups and sit ups but plan to work on them full out once school starts in a few weeks (nice free gym). I'm mostly scared out of my wits for running, and would welcome some advice regarding timelines and testing. I did some searches here and got a few results but none (that I could find) confirmed 100%. Some said the only testing was at BMQ, some said it was done at the CFRC, some it's a beep test, some it's a step test?

Any advice would be welcomed, and yes, if no one knows, I will call the CFRC. Thanks in advance.

Dave glad to hear you applied and good luck. Timeline wise, you are probably looking at a January IAP if all else goes through in time and you make the fall Officer selection. Running in the winter is awesome but can be dangerous if icy. Get some rubber grips from Running Room or similar store for your shoes. As a Reg Force candidate at CFLRS (St-Jean) you will do the 20m shuttle run the first week of IAP. It's not hard to pass if your cardio is good. We do not test Reg Force applicants at the CFRC anymore. Get your 2.4Km run down to below 10mins and you'll do fine on all morning runs.

Hope you get what you want. Cheers!

I take almost the same route every time.  It has a few uphill sections and is about 2/3 on grass or dirt path.  Maybe I should note that I go up quite a long slope early on in the run.
I'm assuming the runs I do at BMQ will be fairly flat in comparison.

Rick thanks for the advice. I should have mentionned that I am doing ROTP, most likely at Civie University so most likely summer course then I assume...But it's a huge relief that I have until the summer to get in shape. That means that I can whoop the minimums and not have to worry about fitness. Thanks very much.

St-Jean and Farnham are pretty much flat bases so you're good to go. :salute:

ROTP selection is early Feb and yes you would do a summer IAP/BOTP. Be carefull about Civy U, you tend to do a lot of bicep curl with the guys at the local Pub and the training goes out the window unlike RMC where you do PT. Get yourself a membership at the University Gym and that way you have no excuse. Trust me, I've been there. :-[

DaveTee said:
Rick thanks for the advice. I should have mentionned that I am doing ROTP, most likely at Civie University so most likely summer course then I assume...But it's a huge relief that I have until the summer to get in shape. That means that I can whoop the minimums and not have to worry about fitness. Thanks very much.

Not...have to worry about fitness??  In ROTP...to be an Officer in the CF?

::)

I would rethink that opinion if I were you...

Mud Recce Man:
I meant really get into shape so that it's LESS of a worry. I'm well aware of the difficulty and need to be in top physical shape. That's why I'm starting now. Thanks for the encouragement anyways... :p

I already know about the step test but a question about the shuttle.. My friend told me you have to do the beep test untill level 6.6 or something? What speed is that if anyone knows? If not no need to go out of ones way to find out, was just curious if it was strenuous enough to start working on sprinting as apposed to long distance cardio :S.

The level to achieve depends on your age group. Put it this way, when you reach level 8, you are running back and forth but you must keep the pace and not get ahead of the beat... or behind. The speed increases every 30secs (.5 level) and you will be in anaerobic mode pretty quickly. :pushup:

Crisco said:
I already know about the step test but a question about the shuttle.. My friend told me you have to do the beep test untill level 6.6 or something? What speed is that if anyone knows? If not no need to go out of ones way to find out, was just curious if it was strenuous enough to start working on sprinting as apposed to long distance cardio :S.

Info on the standard required is on this thread, as well as what happens during BMQ or IAP/BOTP if you fail the testings.  Hoepfully this answers the question.  You could search under CF EXPRES TEST as well.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/64932.0.html

I was wondering if I could get a bit of advice. It looks like I'll be in the January course, if I'm extremely lucky I might still be able to get in the November course (would have been but an unforeseen medical problem has occurred that I need to get a note from my doctor, who is on vacation for another week).

anyways I find that when I run jog my muscles don't really tire out to the point that they make me stop, it's always my shortness of breath that makes me stop. How should I fix this 'problem' I want to run harder/faster because my muscles can take a lot more, but my lungs just can't keep up. I assume I should do slower jogs to build my cardio, but then I feel like I'm not working my muscles. Should I maybe do a lot of slower jogging to work my cardio, then do some sprints to work my muscles? Also what is the ideal speed to improve your cardio, I've heard it's at the speed where you're jogging, but you're still able to talk comfortably. Is this accurate? It seems too slow, doesn't seem to put much strain on the lungs that would help them improve.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

P.S. Currently I can run the 2.4k in about 11 minutes and 30 seconds. Like I said though, after running it, my muscles are fine, but I feel like my lungs are dead.

Well... I can't see running slow and long being much help at training you to run fast and long... Why not try things like several 400m "sprints" with a set amount of rest in between. Just like doing pushups is the best training for being able to do more pushups (same for situps, pullups, etc...) So don't worry about the "target ranges". Just run, run fast, run slow, run long distance, short distance, sprints, intervals, etc...

Sounds like a good idea, I have been meaning to do more sprint type work, since I have been working more on the slower paced running.

In addition to interval training as suggested by Munxcub, try Fartlek training which sort of incorporates the same ideas.  On your regular route try throwing in some sprints at irregular intervals along the way, after completing the sprint keep running but slow down into a recovery pace then when you want to do another sprint. I assume you're not a smoker, another option which may help is drop some weight if you are over weight.  You may wanna take a look at some running magazines as well - they are constantly full of running programs designed to improve your run.

Back