• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running

I have recently just got back into running from a 2 year hiatus to prepare for the PT test. I havent read every post in the thread so I may be repeating some things.

A few pointers I have learned throughout the years .

- first time out from inactivity, 2/3rds walking, 1/3rd running. keep your heart rate down and gradually work your way up to longer periods of sustained running and shorter periods of walking to recover. you'll make quicker progress

- on your days off running, find some stairs, and walk up them as many times as you can. but at a regular pace as to not risk injury.

- in the winter, either get access to a treadmill and run with an incline, find and indoor track, or find a shorter route that you can be sure it's salted and just loop it. nothing worse than wiping out on some ice after running for half an hour.

Just my 0.02, I find that speed walking when youre first getting back into it helps too. The preset programs on most tredmills work you up to higher speeds as the workout goes on and that I found allows you to run longer when youre as out of shape as I am.

Treadmills don't offer as much "work" as running on a track or outside. They are better then nothing tho. I think people think too much and make it more complicated then it needs to be. Do what you can, then do more. You should be out of breath, you should be uncomfortable, you should want to quit the whole time (but don't!)... if that's not the case then you aren't pushing hard enough. If you're way out of shape and plain old walking does that, then keep at it. If speed walking will, or light jogging, whatever. Don't be concerned with what others do, if you're pushing your limits then thats great. Push them hard enough and long enough and your limits will expand and you'll run faster and longer.

Treadmills definitely arent as much work, that is why you need to compensate by adding incline to the treadmill as well as increasing the distance/speed. there is a formula available to figure this out. if I find it, i'll post it.

Munx a useful quote to reinforce your comments:

"You’ve got to drive the body to the last inch of energy then go on! You gain nothing by just going up to where your body says you’re tired. The body will build and grow only to fit the demands the mind makes upon the lazy body. If all you do is exercise until the body is tired, the body will get lazy and stop a bit shorter every time. You must go to the point of exhaustion, then go on. That way the body figures out, “We’ve got to build up more strength if that crazy mind is going to drive this hard!” If you always quit when you are merely tired, you will never gain. Once you let the body tell the mind when to quit, you are whipped for sure. You can not gain by listening to the body. We can become much stronger if we drive the body. We use about on-tenth of the available strength of our bodies and less than that of our minds."
-General George Patton

Yesterday I ran 4k in 21:40 which for my 37 year old body isn't too bad, especially considering the stiff wind I was running into the teeth of most of the way.  When I started running not long ago I was pretty whipped after even 2k and I was much slower so I feel I am making good progress. 

I was really starting to feel the effects of shin splints until I read some info on here about treating and preventing them.  I stretched everything out really well before my run yesterday and altered my style so that I was hitting heel first on each step.  Instead I was running more on the balls of my feet.  I also alternated heat and cold on my shins for awhile after the run.

Lo and behold I am having very little discomfort today which is a good thing especially considering I stretched out the distance compared to what I normally do.  I am pleased but not satisfied with my level of progress.  My next run, which will probably tomorrow, I want to do 5k and try to average about the same time per kilometre. 

Scott

Good work Gardiners. I mentioned somewhere on here (maybe this thread) that if you can run 2 km you can run 5, and if you can run 5 you can run 10. It comes back to driving the body like Plattypuss said a couple posts back.

I have no doubt that you could keep that pace for 5km.

Yeah...Running is ruining my legs slowly,

So I only run 3 times a week, a 2.4km a 5km and a 10km.

Even limping my 2.4km is faster then the majority, so I think it comes down to like you guys said motivation and driving the body. Some guys could run half assed 2x a day everday and still get beat by a determined individual.

Munxcub said:
Good work Gardiners. I mentioned somewhere on here (maybe this thread) that if you can run 2 km you can run 5, and if you can run 5 you can run 10. It comes back to driving the body like Plattypuss said a couple posts back.

I have no doubt that you could keep that pace for 5km.

Thanks for the encouragement man.  Tomorrow I am going out to do my 5k run.  I think running in the windy conditions the last few times out has been helpful because I have had to work harder to complete my goal.  Adding 1/2 k or 1k each time has been working well so I think I will continue that.

Good luck on your Phys Test Gardiners1, I have slowly tried to increase my running, after quiting smoking it has risen slowly. most of the time it is boredom that ruins my runs, so i am going to try music and see if that helps keep my mind off of any pain or fatigue. Most of my issue is cardio endurance so im also trying to control my breathing, which is also seeming to help

Running with music definitely helps with the boredom of running, I believe it also helps me move a little faster. 
When I run I always try and exhale on a certain step ie when my right foot hits the ground every 3 or 4 steps, this allows me (if I start getting cramped up) to change it up and exhale of the left step which usually helps with getting rid of the crampy feeling you sometimes get when running hard. 
There are lots of programs available to get you prepared to run any distance including 5km so if you need help achieving a decent time or just a healthy way of building up to that distance take a look around the internet.

Good luck to you all.

Thanks JBoyd.  I always have my IPod Shuffle on for my runs.  It certainly helps, me at least, to have some music playing when I run.  The Shuffle is a great little device for running simply because of how small it is.  The thing is the size of a matchbook and clips nicely to my shorts or shirt.  I put some Social Distortion on there right now and some Dropkick Murphys and i'm good to go. :)

So good news and bad news about my run today.  I was going to up the distance from the 4.1k route I had been doing, to a 5 k route.  Only problem is I forgot to run the new route I had planned so I ended up doing my 4.1k route again.  Sigh, brain is getting old.  Now the good news.  I shaved 58 seconds off my time from Wednesday.  21:50 on Wednesday, 20:52 today.  I'm pretty pumped up about it.

Scott.

Well good job none the less. I found that my local convenience store is exactly 2.4 kms from the highway thats at the end of our street so now ive got a landmark. On the tredmill comments go figure the one I use the most has the elevation not working. Maybe a Carl Gustav will fix it. 

:rocket:

Munxcub said:
Treadmills don't offer as much "work" as running on a track or outside. They are better then nothing tho. I think people think too much and make it more complicated then it needs to be. Do what you can, then do more. You should be out of breath, you should be uncomfortable, you should want to quit the whole time (but don't!)... if that's not the case then you aren't pushing hard enough. If you're way out of shape and plain old walking does that, then keep at it. If speed walking will, or light jogging, whatever. Don't be concerned with what others do, if you're pushing your limits then thats great. Push them hard enough and long enough and your limits will expand and you'll run faster and longer.

I have to say Munxcub is bang on. I have been running outside for the past month or so, compared to the treadmill. And wow, I can see and feel a difference from the two.
Also make sure you get a jogging buddy to keep you going. Even if he/she will run you into the ground. It's a good work out.  ;)

Well, I gave myself four days off from running this week because I was really concerned with the pain in my shins.  So yesterday I gave it a go again and completed a 5.2km route without much trouble. My pace was a little slower than normal because that was the longest distance I have covered but it was still in the acceptable range.  The even better news is that I had no pain in my shins afterwards. I iced them down again just in case but they feel fine.  My PT is next Wednesday and I am pretty confident right now.  Thanks as always for reading.

I'll just mention my running plan for anyone who's interested. Just keep in mind this is going to require a gym and a treadmill.

If you're just starting from a month+ break or... just starting. Concentrate on speed-walking for the first few weeks with a bit of jogging at the end before starting up my little program. When you initially start, go from a 3.8-5.4 for the first portion, stay on a speed of 5.4 for the core running (5 minutes first) and go from 5.4-6 for the last 3 minutes. Stay on that and from there progress up until you get to 20 minutes on the core portion, 5 minutes for the final portion (which would mean going from 5.4-6.4). The first step is to get your endurance up and that's what the next few weeks is all about. Once you reach that bench-mark though increase the speed of the core/final-push by 0.1 and lower the time in those areas to a point where you're comfortable, work up from there and once you reach the maximum time increase it by 0.1 again. Don't be satisfied until you reach at least 6.4 speed for the Core Running. Remember, 1km=5minutes and taking less time to finish that and over long distances is even better. Don't be satisfied with minimum or average performance, do your damn best to be the best and encourage everyone else to take the same course. Do your best to take daily trips to the gym, try to go consistently - but a break day in-between every 2+ days is fine - especially if you're feeling soreness.

Keep in mind that it's very useful doing muscle-workouts for the legs on the side with running. Do whatever you can for Quadriceps (prevents knee pains too, at least an excercise for this is very recommended), Hamstrings and Calf if you've got the time. Always to stretches before you start anything and again after running. It's fine if you do 1 set of reps for the leg workouts but 2 is recommended with 10-15 reps. If you can't do 10 with a certain weight lower it and if you go above 15 make the weight higher.

start the treadmill
Warm-up: 5 minutes --> going from speed-walking to running (helps prevent cramps and obviously is a warmup)
Core Running: 5-XX minutes --> This is where you maintain the running pace through the core of it - obviously this builds up your endurance
Final Push: 3-6 minutes --> This would be the last portion of the run where you raise the running speed by 0.2 every minute starting at 0 - by having this burst of speed at the end, running will feel easier

Right now as an example - here's my stats at the moment - and FYI the numbers at the right represent the speed level on treadmills.
Warm-up: 5 minutes --> 3.8-6.6 speed
Core Running: 12 minutes --> 6.6 speed
Final Push: 5 minutes --> 6.6-7.6 (increasing by 0.2 per minute starting at 0)
Total Distance: 3.2 miles (5.14 kilometres)
Total Time: 27 minutes

I run daily and have been for a long time getting ready for the recruitment process and BMQ - started long before I sent in the application and I recommend the same for anyone else.

I hope I haven't missed anything or messed something up, pretty late at the moment. This has worked great for me, I used to run outside but bottomline is that I prefer the treadmill so I can gauge the exact distance/speed I'm running and keep everything organized and progress consistent. This is working "great" for me.

Personally I dont like the treadmill, I find it very useless in regards to actual running. But thats just me.

I have found from personal experience that if you are having trouble in the cardio endurance department, slow down your gait. I went from long stride jogging 1 - 1.2 km and feeling it in my lungs to 2.5 - 3 km by slowing down and doing something similar to a double time march.

Tactical W,

Good tips.

3.2 miles is the same as 5.14 km. Not 7, Unless I missed something.

Back