• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

pudd13 said:
Have any aircrew hopefuls received a call about going to the ASC yet? I got mine the other day, I'll be doing mine from the 24th to the 28th.

Good for you and best of luck at ASC! I have not been called yet...

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas.

As for me, I'll be done my Math upgrader course on January 24th. Projected mark: Between 80 and 90%. Think that will be good enough for RMC? With this upgraded Math A30, my top six marks will be looking something like this:

History 30: 95
Math A30: 88.05
Instructional Phys Ed 30: 87
English A30: 85
Biology 30: 79
English B30: 75

I read on the RMC website that the top six Grade 12 courses I completed should have an overall average of over 70. These marks will give me an average of 84.84, and it has all the prereqs for the Bachelor of Arts program. Plus I have six years in the Air Cadets, and two years of volunteering, and I'm getting more work experience, and I play curling and rugby on top of it all.

I think, finally, my application will be competitive.

You know that none of us can tell you if that will be good enough to get in, but yes, it does seem competitive. Good job.

I have MARS as my first choice, MP as second choice and Pilot as third choice. Do you guys think that I'll get sent to ASC,or probably not since pilot is my third choice and is already really competitive? So they can concentrate on MARS and MP?

From what I know you'll still get sent to ASC, as long as you show in your interview that that is a job that you could be suitable for. If you are found that you could be suitable, they'll send you there, as long as it's one of your choices. I may be wrong on that though, so don't take my word on it.

Okay, looks like I'll get a couple vacations from school then, Week long NOAB for MARS, MP assesment thing (forget what its called) and ACS.

PrairieBoy said:
I hope everyone had a merry Christmas.

As for me, I'll be done my Math upgrader course on January 24th. Projected mark: Between 80 and 90%. Think that will be good enough for RMC? With this upgraded Math A30, my top six marks will be looking something like this:

History 30: 95
Math A30: 88.05
Instructional Phys Ed 30: 87
English A30: 85
Biology 30: 79
English B30: 75

I read on the RMC website that the top six Grade 12 courses I completed should have an overall average of over 70. These marks will give me an average of 84.84, and it has all the prereqs for the Bachelor of Arts program. Plus I have six years in the Air Cadets, and two years of volunteering, and I'm getting more work experience, and I play curling and rugby on top of it all.

I think, finally, my application will be competitive.

Just to add on to what everyone has said.

When the recruiters came to my school, we were told a 80%+ average makes a competitive average. But they are really looking for all around people. Which it looks like you have. Time will tell

has any MP officer hopefuls been contacted regarding MPAC yet? As well I was told that ROTP candidates for naval occupations are not required to go through NOAB, can anyone offer any insight into this?

Thanks

I have MP as my second choice, and haven't heard anything yet, but then again I'm still waiting for my interview.

So, I applied for Pilot, ACSO and Log(Air).
I know I will have to attend ASC. However, I have heard rumours that it will be around Jan 24th-28th?
I'm still in school during that time, will there be multiple intakes? Or is that the only time they will have it?
Thank You!

though I'm in no position to comment on the dates of ASC since I am not applying for aircrew, though I would think that you would have to miss a few days of school for that  :threat:

You could check with the recruiting center and see if they can give you a better idea, but overall, plan it like you're going to be missing a week of school at some point. Get ahead on your work, see if you can get an idea of what is coming up in the way of assignments, etc.
Trust me, it might be stressful missing out on the class time, but it's worth it. I almost ended up making my calculus 3 exam into an 80% final and spending my birthday away for the opportunity to go. Luckily, I ended up going on my spring break because of weird scheduling stuff.

Unrelated, but I can't wait for my interview! I just want to get this show on the road!

If I get scheduled for ASC, I won't be able to do it the 24th-28th, I have exams that week :S

Most schools will let you reschedule exams for military commitments, I had no problems doing it when I was in High School. Explain the situation and give them enough notice. You'll just get a different version of the exam from everyone else.

When they booked mine, they asked when was best for me. I told them the sooner the better. They said the earliest possible date was January 10th to 14th. I said that I would like to go to that one. They said I had to give them three times that work for me, so I just chose that week, and the two weeks immediately following that. I got the impression there also would have been times for me to go after January 24th to 28th. In any case, it does not sound as if ASC is only open once per year here guys, it sounded to me as if they were taking in new people every week. Your recruiting centre will know if that is true or not, but they will not be able to give you an idea about when you can go because you need to pass your CFAT and interview, as well as have your blood, medical, and eye results reviewed by the physicians in Ottawa, before they can book you for ASC (as well as provide you at least two weeks before ASC to study the CAPPS package).

That being said, someone said to expect to miss a week. This sounds about right to me. They did give me a choice of three weeks, but I had no say in which of those three weeks it would be. I told them the sooner in the semester the better, but they still gave me the latest of my three choices.

Anyways, there are definitely multiple intakes to ASC, so don't panic if you aren't signed up for the one at the end of this month.

Awesome! Thanks for the replies everyone!
I handed in my paperwork today. So I still have to do my CFAT, Medical and Interview. And unless all those go through before monday(doubtful) I'll be good to go!
So excited....now to play the waiting game.

Hello, my screen name is Epsilan and I've registered not only because I have a question regarding ROTP but because I've been interested in joining the Air Force for quite some time now, even though I'm only 15.

Anyways, I have several questions, all of which are related to ROTP. When you apply for ROTP, do you select a trade (i.e. pilot) when applying or after you finish your education?

Assuming it is the latter, selecting your trade after finishing your education, let's say that I choose Pilot as my trade. I'm aware that in return for the Military subsidizing your education you must serve a mandatory amount of months. With this in mind, if I don't get the offer for the Pilot position, which is supposedly likely according to the posts I've been reading, I'm assuming I'd have to serve my months in a different trade. If this is the case, is there anyway out of it as in refunding the CF for the amount they've spent on your education?

In the case of the first option, where you select your trade whilst applying would that mean you were to do the required exams (CFAT, Medicals, Fitness) and Aircrew Selection before submitting your application?

Pardon me if this is common knowledge but I haven't been able to obtain a clear answer towards my questions.

Another request, if the recruiters mind, is if they have any knowledge pertaining to the ratio of ROTP Pilot slots to the amount of qualified applicants (Aircrew passed, high CFAT mark, high grades, plentiful leadership experience etc.)

My gratitude for taking the time to read my question and even greater gratitude should you respond.

Thank you in advance,
Epsilan

Jeeze, so polite.

The answers to all those questions can all easily be found by doing a quick browse through the threads on this site (under the ROTP section, and the Air Force section).

Nonetheless, I'll help you out to the best of my ability.

When you submit your application papers, you designate up to 3 jobs you are willing to do. When you are accepted under the ROTP program, they can offer you a job in any of those three jobs, or any other officer position that the CF deems you are fit for as a result of your CFAT and interview. Usually it is a job in your top 3 though, and as long as it is possible, your number 1 choice.

At that point, you would have to accept or decline the offer BEFORE you start your education. You are able to leave the CF at any point before your first day of your second year of studies under ROTP without incurring any debt to the CF. After that, you cannot leave without paying it back it some way. I am not sure how you would pay it back, I don't know anybody who has quit after the first year, and personally, I don't care how you pay it back because at this point I certainly don't intend to.

Submitting your application is the first step (after talking to a recruiter of course). CFAT, medical, interview, and ASC all come after that. Fitness testing is done after you are already accepted.

Back