• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I moved or changed schools anymore, haha. As long as you have some people that you've always been in contact with over the years and know you well (once again, no family); there won't be a problem.

As you probably already know, just make sure your refrences have known you for five years as required on the application form and make sure they are reliable and avaliable for the CFRC to get in touch with. I'm sure you wont have any problems because of all the moving you've had to do though. Good luck!

Hello,
I am currently updating my reference and was hoping I could get some opinions on employment sections. I am a soccer referee and have listed this under extra-curricular/volunteer work on my application forms. The reason I did this is because as a ref I am not employed by anyone, but I contact specific people in order to be assigned games. I ref for the exercise and enjoyment, and although I do get paid, it goes to paying for fuel costs to get to the game as well as uniforms. My question is, if I am using a referee coordinator as a reference should I list him as an employment reference? The man I am using as a reference assigns me games and assesses me as a ref, and I was told volunteering references are listed as employment. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks

You may be able to use it for both. Albeit you're getting paid for it, the pay is minimal and it is still something you're  volunteering your time. If they ask about it, just explain the situation as you have here. I  highly doubt it would harm your your chances.
If anyone has any better advice, feel free to correct me.

Good Luck.
Cheers

Hi all,

I'm currently putting together an application as an Infantry Officer (2nd choice as Armour). I'm pretty happy with most parts of my application (work/volunteer, sports, academics, etc...) but one thing that has me worried is what's maybe the easiest for many- the references. I'm currently doing my Masters in Toronto after doing my undergrad at Western (in London). I've had various jobs throughout- pretty much all research jobs, and all the typical junior research positions (~4 months). The thing is, other than a few close friends and family, no one else really has known me WELL for the past five years constantly. Haha, saying it that way makes me feel like a recluse- but it's just the I've been all over, worked in different cities, different countries even, so I can't think of many people who can be a good reference.

It's possible I'm over-thinking the issue- in the medical community a reference is expected to write you a letter talking about how he knows you oh so well and that you're god's gift to the universe. I know that's not what's required here, but I still feel odd for example asking my favourite high school teacher who I kind of stay in contact with for a reference. Also, I've heard that the limitation on family is only immediate family, is that true? I have two uncles that would make good references- one a general, the other the priest at my church. Obviously if I can use them I'll be less worried.

If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it,
Trick

Oh, P.S. In the app is also asks for your service number as a cadet... do any former cadets remember ever having a service number? Do I just have on that I was unaware of?

Great, thanks for clearing that up. Only trained, never was staff.

For the references part of your question I also had a problem with the people who have known me for atleast 5 years. I asked my recruiter about it and he said if you're under a certain age then they only have to know you for two years (or something like that). My memory is a bit "foggy" but the best bet would be to call your recruitment center and ask them about it because my numbers could be, and most likely are, off.

I was told I needed to know them for 5 straight years and im 22 years old. Told them I couldn't put down any co-workers and what not so they said it's no problems, just put down family friends or friends of your own. Maybe even a high school teacher if you got along with them at all:p

Yeah, I'm 23, so it's the last 5 years. Atm that's what I have, a highschool teacher, 2 friends, 2 family friends. Really not any "professional" references, which makes me a little uneasy. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but they also accept one written letter of reference right? I really should have asked yesterday but completely forgot.

Trick said:
Yeah, I'm 23, so it's the last 5 years. Atm that's what I have, a highschool teacher, 2 friends, 2 family friends. Really not any "professional" references, which makes me a little uneasy. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but they also accept one written letter of reference right? I really should have asked yesterday but completely forgot.

Hey Trick,

When I went for my interview, I brought with me a letter of reference from the Humane Society that I volunteer at, I was told by the Captain that interviewed me that this would be suffiicient enough and that she wouldn't need to contact any of my references. I received my job offer 3 weeks after my interview and none of my references were contacted, so (in my case at least) a well written letter was all that was needed  :)

Trick said:
From my understanding, when I was doing my references, they told me that it doesn't really matter if they're all personal references, as long as you trust them knowing you well enough to answer some fairly basic questions about you, its just a checkmark next to your name in a file at the end of the day. Nothing to stress over. Also never put a girlfriend down as a reference  :facepalm:

Sorry, I know I'm beating this reference thing to death, but I was wondering about "old" references. The recruiter told me that generally the longer they've known you the better. There are some good references I could use that have known me since childhood, but many of whom I barely see these days. Would they still make good references? I'm kind of afraid of how it'll seem if they have to say that they see me like once a year these days- does that really make them reliable references?

Also, this is totally unrelated- At the risk of sounding arrogant, being a competitive boxer, I'm not worried about passing the physical standards, but I want to as well as possible on the tests. To that end I've been practicing the CF way of doing these things. The way I read the description of pushups you have to lock your arms at the top of the movement- something I never do normally. After doing 3 sets of 50 I've gotten this pain in my elbow which I'm pretty sure is due to the way I'm doing these. Is this really the way the CF does pushups?

Thanks again for all the advice guys,

P.S. If someone wants to give me some fitness targets for an Infantryman (not just passing BMOQ) I'd love to hear them.

Trick said:
Sorry, I know I'm beating this reference thing to death, but I was wondering about "old" references. The recruiter told me that generally the longer they've known you the better. There are some good references I could use that have known me since childhood, but many of whom I barely see these days. Would they still make good references? I'm kind of afraid of how it'll seem if they have to say that they see me like once a year these days- does that really make them reliable references?

Also, this is totally unrelated- At the risk of sounding arrogant, being a competitive boxer, I'm not worried about passing the physical standards, but I want to as well as possible on the tests. To that end I've been practicing the CF way of doing these things. The way I read the description of pushups you have to lock your arms at the top of the movement- something I never do normally. After doing 3 sets of 50 I've gotten this pain in my elbow which I'm pretty sure is due to the way I'm doing these. Is this really the way the CF does pushups?

Thanks again for all the advice guys,

P.S. If someone wants to give me some fitness targets for an Infantryman (not just passing BMOQ) I'd love to hear them.
1. Push-Ups
>> Lie flat on your stomach, legs together.
>> Hands, pointing forward, should be positioned comfortably under the
shoulders: someone standing over you should be able to see part of your
hand but not all of it. Elbows should be along your sides.
>> Using your toes as the pivot point, push up by straightening and locking
your elbows. The body must be kept in a straight line.
>> When returning to the starting position, the back of the upper arms will
be parallel to the mat. Your chin, stomach, thighs, and knees are not to
touch the mat.
>> Push-ups are to be performed continuously and without a time limit.
Repetitions that do not conform to the push-up test technique should not
be counted. Perform this motion in a continuous manner. Do as many
repetitions as you can. Stop when the movement becomes forcibly strained.

That's straight from the manual, however anyone that works out will tell you that locking out is very bad for your joints, be its doing pushups, bench pressing, or squatting. It sounds like you might be aggravating a previous elbow injury because it takes years to actually get to that point. All I can say is make sure you stretch and warm up properly, it's definitely something you need to take care of before going to basic.
As for references see above post  :nod:

Also there's a little website called forces.ca and google.ca that can answer most of your questions  ::)

Ha, well that's my question. I've read all that and I was wondering if really in practice in the CF people do their pushups locking their elbows each time.

I'm thinking of applying, but I'm kind of worried about this whole business of references.

In this thread I've gotten the impression that it's acceptable to use old teachers as references, but I've also read that your references are required to have known you for 5 continuous years.

I'm a couple years out of high school, but I think I've probably got enough residual good will from a few of my old teachers that they'd give me a reference, the only trouble is that I was really only in contact with them for three years at best, though it has been 5 years since we first met. Would that be sufficient?

From what I've heard- yes that will suffice. But if it means anything I've actually decided against using my old HS teacher. I'm now going with a family friend who's known me forever and basically 4 friends/co-workers who know me well, and all over 5 years. I'm a little nervous about not really having any "supervisors" as references, but the nature of being a student makes it hard to have someone like that who's known you well for 5 years. I decided to go with people who know me best. We'll see how it turns out.

Trick said:
I'm a little nervous about not really having any "supervisors" as references,

I had never had a job prior to joining the CF so not having any "supervisor" references certainly did not hurt me.

but the nature of being a student makes it hard to have someone like that

I agree with you in that i know plenty of students who change jobs as frequently as i change TV channels but in reality, it is not that difficult.

Thanks Aviator, that eases my worries. Did you apply as an officer? I think you mentioned somewhere you're a pilot now. I'm just a little worried by having five friends basically as my references. I mean, of course they think I'm great- they're my friends...

I think I'm done dragging my heels on the references though. Listing them is all that's left, so I just want to finish that and get this application in ASAP.

Back