• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

One of my old co-workers falsified every one of his references, barely passed the CFAT and physical tests, and was in BMQ within 3 months of applying. I could do that, but I'm trying to maintain some integrity throguh this process. I truly believe that the reference requirements are a little over the top.

I don't want to forum-spar with anyone either, just want to explain my situation for other applicants.

peppy said:
I truly believe that the reference requirements are a little over the top.

We (the CF) truly don't care. I'm sorry that you are in an unfortunate situation but that's just how it is.

peppy said:
I'm normally not one to toot my own horn, but my work ethic, mental focus, and physical prowess are outstanding. I've seen lazier, dumber, and much less fit people go off to BMQ. I was in the top 95% on a country-wide standardized test, I can do well over fourty pushups, 100 situps, and can run longer than most are willing to bike. I aim to be the hardest worker and best team member whenever I'm entrusted with responsibility. I know I can be an asset anywhere I'm employed, and I want to join the CF because I think my skills will be well used and appreciated.

Probably not the best way to look for answers on what you're seeking.. There's a reason why they want people you've known for 5 years. They didn't just pick a random year and went "Yeah, 5 seems pretty good, it's halfway to 10". If the employer you're looking to work for asks you for something you don't just say "Uhh I don't have it, but I'm sure this'll do". Anyway, GL with the process.

peppy said:
One of my old co-workers falsified every one of his references, barely passed the CFAT and physical tests, and was in BMQ within 3 months of applying. I could do that, but I'm trying to maintain some integrity throguh this process. I truly believe that the reference requirements are a little over the top.

I don't want to forum-spar with anyone either, just want to explain my situation for other applicants.

Well, you either have made an assumed statement in that your co-worker falsified every one of his references, or your co-worker is in for a very big surprise in the near future when he HAS to produce those references.  As one who has to deal in these matters, I know that they do check these references and often will confirm a second or third time with you that they are still good and current.  If your co-worker has managed to fool them once, they won't be around long to fool them a second time.

peppy said:
I truly believe that the reference requirements are a little over the top.

I don't really want to argue too much, but I found them pretty fair.  Admittedly, I'm only 21 and don't have a long list of excellent references to choose from because I've really haven't had a ton of experience, but I had my current boss, some co-workers, a friend's mother, and even someone I went to school with (and was friends with).  I wish I had more professional based references, but I figured they just want to make sure that other people will vouch for my competence and integrity.  The people I put down could do that.  I'm sure the CF also expects that you're going to give them a list of people who you are pretty sure will say nice things about you, so I don't think they'll be getting too distraught over selections so long as they are people they can call and they know you quite well.

Not that I'd recommend bogging it down with buddies and bros, but I also don't think adding close friends is a bad thing either.

I should note, those co-workers were actually people I was friends with outside of the work place, so it really isn't too hard to get a list of people who can vouch for you and answer any questions the forces may have about you.

Don't lie to them about anything, and just use the best references you can.  It is a big deal and it isn't a big deal.  If you simply do what they want, you'll be fine, but if you over think it you can really turn it into something bigger then it should.

owa said:
Don't lie to them about anything, and just use the best references you can.  It is a big deal and it isn't a big deal.  If you simply do what they want, you'll be fine, but if you over think it you can really turn it into something bigger then it should.

This is good advice. When you turn in your application, explain why you don't have references that go back that far. I would go so far as to try to contact a person you knew from a previous residence/city and even if you don't live there anymore, they can vouch for the time you were there.

I had 3 references, one was a coworker for 2 years, the other was my work suprivisor for 2 years(same company) and the other was a family friend who had known me since I was just a wee one (10 years plus) I know they didnt contact my coworkers and never confirmed if they contacted the family friend and i got in.  Be honest with them because they will find out if you werent :nod:

RTG :cdn:

Hello,

I have a similar question. I have lived in Canada for the last 7.5 years, with some trips abroad. Before then, I was living in my country of birth. Does this disqualify me?

Thanks!

dreamerboy said:
Hello,

I have a similar question. I have lived in Canada for the last 7.5 years, with some trips abroad. Before then, I was living in my country of birth. Does this disqualify me?

Not automaticaly. It certainly makes the process longer, depending on the country you are refering to. You may or not be allowed into the CF but its not automaticaly decided on being born outside the country.

Kincanucks or anyone else who knows this question is for you. Out of my five references one is a former employer, one is a neighbor, and the rest are family friends that I have known my entire life. If you saw the relationship listed as family friend would that become a reference that you would discard or not follow up on? The recruiter told me I should find an educational reference. The form says the reference must have known you for five years OR until the age of 16. Can I use a former teacher who taught me math in grade 10 when I was 16? All of my teachers have known me for one year or less so I don't really have many options. My current math teacher told me he'd be a reference but he has only known me for one month. I would say that my personal references would all be great judges of my character and have known me for a very long time. They are very well respected two are doctors and one is a senior police officer. Are my references acceptable as they are?

I know your all probably getting sick of these questions but any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Silentstriker01 said:
Kincanucks or anyone else who knows this question is for you. Out of my five references one is a former employer, one is a neighbor, and the rest are family friends that I have known my entire life. If you saw the relationship listed as family friend would that become a reference that you would discard or not follow up on? The recruiter told me I should find an educational reference. The form says the reference must have known you for five years OR until the age of 16. Can I use a former teacher who taught me math in grade 10 when I was 16? All of my teachers have known me for one year or less so I don't really have many options. My current math teacher told me he'd be a reference but he has only known me for one month. I would say that my personal references would all be great judges of my character and have known me for a very long time. They are very well respected two are doctors and one is a senior police officer. Are my references acceptable as they are?

I know your all probably getting sick of these questions but any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Silentstriker,

nearly every variant of a question on references has been discussed in the forum, and many are within this thread.  Please read through the thread to see if your question is answered, and to help you prepare for more specific questions to your CFRC. You may also see that other members are more current than kincanucks on recruiting issues, as he left that job some time ago.

You will also find that time spent using the search feature or Google site specific searches (add site:army.ca to the search parameters) will be worthwhile effort and helps to reduce repetitive posts.

Thank you

Milnet.ca Staff

First off as this is my first post I'd like to formally introduce myself. Phil, 20, Psychology Student, ROTP hopeful :).

With that out of the way here is my question. I'm currently filling out my reference forms and am confused by certain required information. Specifically the "Reference Position", "Company/School name" and "Location (city, region and/or store#)" sections. Do these all relate to the place of employment of that specific reference? My question stems from the confusion that these are for personal references and I don't understand if I'm supposed to put info about where they work or if those sections relate only to employment references.

Yes, they relate to information regarding that reference, regardless of employment or personal.

I may be the minority in this, but I was actually able to use my dad as a reference due to the fact that I've been working ONLY for his company over the last eight years. Perhaps I was lucky or perhaps the recruiter took a bit of common sense into account or maybe both.

Other than that my only personal reference was a friend of the family (my bro's friend) who is also my friend and I've known him for 15 years. We hung out mountain biking and went on vacations quite a bit over the years.  I moved around a lot (pretty much every couple years) so it's rather difficult to have known someone for five years or more, let alone them feeling comfortable enough and having enough knowledge to honestly answer questions about you,  lol.
My recruiter understood that circumstances can occur which are out of your control and it's rather difficult for someone you knew 10 years ago to give you a reference when you haven't seen them in seven years.. The number of times I changed my address over the last five years likely provided a bit of proof about the moving around. I'm Christian, but when it comes to moving around, my family were/are like gypsies.

It's much the same as a resume for any job. Good references can help, but if you don't have them and the rest of your application looks good, chances are you'll get the job. No doubt my volunteering, sports activities (fitness), health outlook (don't drink beer, not even pop) and other things helped the recruiter to overlook my lack of references.

I also went ahead and made a photocopy of my athletic scholarships, which can show the character of a person just the same as an employment reference. Even though they don't ask for it, I'd volunteer that information as it can help. Technically, I was paid by the university to play soccer, received money for coming to training every day while others are studying or doing their part-time jobs.
As far as my knowledge extends, it's far better to have one really great reference on your sheet than five people who can just generalize who you are and give some positives. If you've known five people for five years or more, how well are 2 or 3 of them going to really know you. Chances are they will have to bs a bit to give you a positive reference because everyone can put on a show at church for their minister or w/e, but how well does that person really know you.

Just letting you know that your lack of references may not be the end of the world.  Good luck!

Okay, I was filling out the application papers, and they ask for some employment references. But I've never actually had a job. I do a lot of babysitting, but does that count? Should i write that down, or should I write that I haven't had any work experience. I also volunteer weekly at my Parish, should I write my boss's name? Please help. Thank you.  :-\

Both would constitute work experience, even if one is unpaid, in my opinion.

Hi, I just have a question on references.

Is it possible to put someone as a reference from another country?
I just moved to Canada 2 years ago, and I stayed in the States for 4 years before moving here, and I spent my childhood in my birth-country before moving to the States.

I would like to put some of 2 of my teachers as my reference from the States,
and 1 very close childhood friend from my birth-country.
The other 2 would be my soccer coach and my boss from work here in Canada.

So far, from the thread, some say you must know each of your 5 references for 5 years,
some say your total of 5 references must add up to at least 5 years.
Well, to this point I am not quite sure which is which.
Can anyone clear this up for me please.
Thank you very much

You can put anyone that you want as a reference. It'll take CSIS/BackCheck a while to track them down, so make sure their contact information is correct.

PuckChaser said:
You can put anyone that you want as a reference. It'll take CSIS/BackCheck a while to track them down, so make sure their contact information is correct.

CSIS background check to join the forces? I highly doubt that.

Back