• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

Ok, but what about the total years?

1)Must it be a total of 5 years from your references?
                                        OR
Each of your  references must know you for at least 5 years?

By the way?
2)How many references must you provide?
Sometimes I see people say you must have 5 references.
But maybe I got confused with that and the 5 years thing?

Let me know.
Thanks

former_recruiter said:
CSIS background check to join the forces? I highly doubt that.

Well.  Looking at the point being made by the OP that they have only been in Canada for two years, I wonder about their ability to even meet the three criteria to join...... Canadian Citizenship, Age and Education.  If they fail to meet any of those three criteria, then the References and Security or Background Checks are moot points.

former_recruiter said:
CSIS background check to join the forces? I highly doubt that.

You're a "Former Recruiter" shouldn't you KNOW that?

You still haven't filled out your profile....

As far as I'm concerned your Street Cred is still Zero....

these are the 5 references i was thinking about using i would like to know if there good or not.

1. former job supervisor ( i worked there for 9 months in 2009)
2. former personal trainer
3. former wrestling coach
4. Former high school football coach (provincial police officer)

for the fifth one i was wondering can i use a councelor? cuz i went through a social rehab program and my councelor know me super good but i wonder if its a good reference. if not ill use my current boss.

thx you

WeaponsLover said:
these are the 5 references i was thinking about using i would like to know if there good or not.

1. former job supervisor ( i worked there for 9 months in 2009)
2. former personal trainer
3. former wrestling coach
4. Former high school football coach (provincial police officer)

for the fifth one i was wondering can i use a councelor? cuz i went through a social rehab program and my councelor know me super good but i wonder if its a good reference. if not ill use my current boss.

thx you

You haven't read anything on this site HAVE YOU?

1.  This topic covers in detail whom and whom not you can use for a Reference.  It states clearly in the directions on your forms whom and whom not you can use for a Reference.  There are certain criteria that your References must meet.

2.  When you registered onto this site you were requested to read the Army.ca Conduct Guidelines.  It lays out what we expect of people on this site; such things as professional writing skills and correct use of the English language - NO MSM SPEAK, etc.

On the subject of references - at what stage of the application process do the CF contact your referees?

I have put my current employer down as a referee. I'm sure he will give me an excellent reference but I'd like to give him a little advance warning of the phone call/letter. BUT, I'd rather not mention it to him until nearer the time in case nothing comes of my application, and just in case there's a negative reaction.

Thanks.

I think I found my own answer - seems like they can start calling referees right near the beginning of the application process.

If you know any different please let me know.

Red Devil said:
On the subject of references - at what stage of the application process do the CF contact your referees?

I have put my current employer down as a referee. I'm sure he will give me an excellent reference but I'd like to give him a little advance warning of the phone call/letter. BUT, I'd rather not mention it to him until nearer the time in case nothing comes of my application, and just in case there's a negative reaction.

Thanks.

As a matter of common courtesy, you should always inform someone before you give their name out as a reference, no matter which job you're applying for.

I appreciate your comment Nostix but as he's my current employer I don't think I have a choice in whether he's contacted or not. I had previously contacted all my 'personal' referees, as I would always do.

Red Devil said:
I appreciate your comment Nostix but as he's my current employer I don't think I have a choice in whether he's contacted or not. I had previously contacted all my 'personal' referees, as I would always do.
Then you should probably consider contacting him and letting him know that he might expect a call from the CF.

So because I've been moving around so much the past 4 or 5 years I don't have too many steady friends to use as references. I have some family I could use and I will if I have too.  I just thought it would be better to use people that wouldn't certainly try to make me look good.  I want them to know the kind of person I am from the view of coworkers and friends.

Does anybody know the kind of questions they're going to ask? Would it be a bad idea just too use family (not immediate family)? Or better to use ex-coworkers and friends?

Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Do NOT put family members as references. Coworkers and friends are fine, although employers, teachers, clergy members and others like that are ideal. I don't know the questions they ask, but I imagine it's the usual kind of reference questions. What kind of person you are, strengths, weaknesses, are you punctual/reliable, would they hire/recommend, etc.  Just be sure to ask your references ahead of time for permission.

And read the sheet your CFRC should have given you that talks about references.

Thanks Sigil.  I'll try to get as many non-family members as I can.  The sheet only says no immediate family but I imagine uncles or cousins wouldn't be ideal either.  It's a little difficult because I've been in 6 cities in the last 5 or 6 years but I'll find them.  Thanks again.

Sidenote:
I was just informed about writting too many similar posts in the forum.  Afraid that if I post another to say I'm sorry for posting might be the last straw, so I'll just apologize here. ;) I'll tone it down. Thanks.

The exception to the family rule is if the member is in the forces.  A certain captain aunt of mine has helped a lot.  She married in to the family, so the RC was OK with her as a ref.

I had used several people as references that had prior military experience, and some friends, and my current boss. The only person that they called, however, was my boss. I'm not sure if they have a particular system when it comes to choosing which references they speak with, but they only called 1 out of 5 for me.

When I was in for my interview I noticed on my application that my Sea Cadet CO and XO were circled on the reference page. As far as I know, they never contacted any of the others.

Stacked said:
From what I've *heard* if they call one reference and they like what they hear they usually just say you're good to go. They called my former employer and he said they talked for about 30 minutes. That was the only reference they called for me as well.
They only talked to my boss for like 5 minutes or so.
After they got past the language barrier (my boss is native to South Korea) everything was fine apparently.
Thanks for telling me that.

Only one person on my list was called. I have not known anyone for more than five years though so I was told that a family member was alright as a result, though they were never called anyway.

Hi all,
This is my first post, so please go easy on me ;) and please forgive any errors. Allow me to explain my situation, I'm 18 fresh outta high school, and joining the military ( more specifically the combat arms) has always been something that interested me. The catch is that at the end of grade 11 I moved to Vancouver island to live with family, and finished high school there, then i moved to Vancouver for work immediately afterwords, and it is there I applied. My question is this: because of all the moving around I did, all of my references are friends and old neighbors, is this gonna hurt my application and/or cause my application to be deemed less competitive compared to somebody who has teachers and employers as references, I mean come on I'm only 18, just getting my feet wet in the ocean that is the real world!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I, too, was in the same boat.

Just use whatever you've got (that isn't family) and you should be fine - you don't have much of a choice really. If the CFRC has any issues with it, they will contact you.

Back