• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

Also, I know its not required but is it a good idea to bring a reference letter as well or do they not accept them? I saw someone a few pages ago say they brought one but that was 2 years ago so things may have changed.

Hopefully someone can help me out,

I've ran my own business (sole proprietorship) for the past 3 years, and previous to that I was in University.

This means for my job history I only have a single entrance, and they obviously have no one to contact besides myself.

It also makes references difficult as I have no coworkers etc. My university teachers I did not know for the minimum 5 years.

The best I can do for references is a highschool teacher and family friends. Is this going to be a problem?

Could I include some references that I've known for less than 5 years?

Don't bother with reference letters unless you have been told to provide them, seldom used.  Also, and this changes daily and is handled differently file to file and trade to trade, but sometimes the objectives your file needs in order to be completed and ready for selection can be done linearly, meaning one after the other and do not move on until the that objective is complete and some times the file is processed utilizing concurrent activity.  In your case, for whatever reason, it does not seem like they are doing concurrent activity, (medical results pending while your reference check is being done.)  The reference checks are not cheap and thus they do not want to spend that money only to find out you had a medical problem that wasn't rectified before doing the checks.  Only in cases where the file is flagged because the trade is in need of being filled ASAP will a file have concurrent activity.

Ladies and Gents, this is why some files take 4 weeks to process and others 12 months etc.  The right person walks in for the right job that just can't be filled and has a deadline coming up and they get a CFAT, Medical and Interview on the same day, with a background check and a push on the medical results the next day.

Rare, but it happens and supply and demand is why.

Proud_Canadian said:
Don't bother with reference letters unless you have been told to provide them, 

I have to disagree. When I came into the recruitment centre for the very first time with all my required documents I brought every single letter of reference I had and training certificates. Regardless of if they would give me an extra edge or not you never know what may propel your file forward and give you the edge over others.
I know they don't ask for the letters but I was also not asked about doing volunteer work, which I know they look upon favourably, so I am glad I had those letters.
In my opinion I would say every little bit helps. Don't exclude anything just because you're not asked.

Proud_Canadian: I do agree with the rest of your post. Background checks do seem to take forever. I've been in background for almost 6 weeks now.

Ducam said:
I have to disagree...

I'd second Ducam. I brought an 'interview package' of sorts with me, complete with relevant certifications, licenses, community/academic/employment references, etc. At the appropriate time during the interview I interjected that I had prepared it. The interviewer was impressed and happy to view its contents. I was told specifically that it helped improve my level of competitiveness. Its contents were photocopied and added to my file. In my opinion, it never hurts to be prepared, regardless of whether certain components are specifically requested or not.

Ducam said:
I have to disagree. When I came into the recruitment centre for the very first time with all my required documents I brought every single letter of reference I had and training certificates. Regardless of if they would give me an extra edge or not you never know what may propel your file forward and give you the edge over others.
I know they don't ask for the letters but I was also not asked about doing volunteer work, which I know they look upon favourably, so I am glad I had those letters.
In my opinion I would say every little bit helps. Don't exclude anything just because you're not asked.

Proud_Canadian: I do agree with the rest of your post. Background checks do seem to take forever. I've been in background for almost 6 weeks now.

Fill out your employment application (EA) properly and all your volunteer service and employment will be accounted for on it.  If you don't, you are doing yourself a serious disservice. 

Proud_Canadian said:
Fill out your employment application (EA) properly and all your volunteer service and employment will be accounted for on it.  If you don't, you are doing yourself a serious disservice.

When I filled out the application it left no area for volunteer work. It asked for work experience and stated that if you had any volunteer experience to insert it there. This was the online application.

I was able to put down one of my volunteer jobs but didn't have enough room to add the others I have done as I simply wasn't given the space.

I added my letters of reference from all my volunteer positions when I turned in all my information though.

So yes you are given some room to put your volunteer experience down but it appears to come second to job history. To make up for this anyone currently doing volunteer work or looking to do something in the future should obtain letters of reference for the work they have done just to make sure the recruitment centre has something on file showing that you do indeed volunteer.

Ducam said:
When I filled out the application it left no area for volunteer work. It asked for work experience and stated that if you had any volunteer experience to insert it there. This was the online application.

I was able to put down one of my volunteer jobs but didn't have enough room to add the others I have done as I simply wasn't given the space.

I added my letters of reference from all my volunteer positions when I turned in all my information though.

So yes you are given some room to put your volunteer experience down but it appears to come second to job history. To make up for this anyone currently doing volunteer work or looking to do something in the future should obtain letters of reference for the work they have done just to make sure the recruitment centre has something on file showing that you do indeed volunteer.

Can you submit your reference letters online?

Proud_Canadian said:
Can you submit your reference letters online?

The online application is kinda like a fill in the blanks PDF document. You can save your profile and return anytime to add anything but you cannot upload documents to attach to the application. When I completed my application and got conformation that it was complete and they would like me to mail my follow up documents (birth cert and transcripts) I asked if I could just scan and send them via email. They said that would be ok but the server is not secure so they prefer to have them sent by mail. I asked about sending reference letters with my file and they said to just bring them in to the RC when my file is moved there.

Ducam said:
The online application is kinda like a fill in the blanks PDF document. You can save your profile and return anytime to add anything but you cannot upload documents to attach to the application. When I completed my application and got conformation that it was complete and they would like me to mail my follow up documents (birth cert and transcripts) I asked if I could just scan and send them via email. They said that would be OK but the server is not secure so they prefer to have them sent by mail. I asked about sending reference letters with my file and they said to just bring them in to the RC when my file is moved there.

When you initially apply, they are going to need to know about that volunteer service.  While I don't work at North Bay, I would suggest, if you can't fit all your volunteer service onto the PDF Document, put, "Various volunteer experience," and the start and end dates in the one field.  This will get you the credit you will want in order to continue the application process.  If the only other option for letting them know is by reference letters down the road when your file is forwarded to a CFRC, you are risking not getting the points you need to get that file forwarded to a recruiting centre.

If I were you, I would take my suggestion and contact North Bay to see what they say, but anyway, find a way to get all that info to them from the start of the process.

References letters are great and generally acceptable for most jobs.  We want to speak to those people direct.  A Glowing reference letter never stopped me from actually calling the person, and I would had called the person even without the letter.

Proud_Canadian said:
When you initially apply, they are going to need to know about that volunteer service.  While I don't work at North Bay, I would suggest, if you can't fit all your volunteer service onto the PDF Document, put, "Various volunteer experience," and the start and end dates in the one field.  This will get you the credit you will want in order to continue the application process.  If the only other option for letting them know is by reference letters down the road when your file is forwarded to a CFRC, you are risking not getting the points you need to get that file forwarded to a recruiting centre.

If I were you, I would take my suggestion and contact North Bay to see what they say, but anyway, find a way to get all that info to them from the start of the process.

References letters are great and generally acceptable for most jobs.  We want to speak to those people direct.  A Glowing reference letter never stopped me from actually calling the person, and I would had called the person even without the letter.

That is very good advice to someone applying.

I have already been through the process and am now awaiting my reference and background check to be completed.

Interview, medical and CFAT are complete. It has been six weeks since my interview.

When I went in to hand in the original copies of my transcripts and birth certificate I had every single letter of reference I had gotten to add to my file. Something like 11 letters in total from volunteer, employers, former police officers and RCMP. Anyone currently looking to apply should be contacting anyone they worked for, community members who may write you a letter, teachers and volunteer workers. My letters have always made me stand out in a job interview.

From what I am reading on these forums I have been able to put together that each trade has a specific selection time. I applied for Infantry and last year the selection months were June, August and November so I am not surprised I am still waiting to be merit listed as the ROTP selections are right now and their basic training is in May.

Well as I said before and to anyone currently in the process, don't get hung up on the reference letters.  I have done dozens if not hundreds of reference checks and trained our new staff in doing the reference checks, just pick people that are going to pick up the phone when we call and have something good to say about you.

I looked it up in this thread but didn't get a clear answer. Can I use an uncle as a person reference? We don't share the same last name.

I'm in a bit of a condundrum, and hoping someone here can give me a bit of hope. I've been looking into military service the past two years, and have been working on getting myself into shape, but I don't have many long term friends, as I never really lived near my schools, and moved alot in my upbringing. The job I am currently working at was security, in which I was moved from a guard into an office job about a year ago. The guys I know in the office know me, but when I was a guard I worked any site in the city, so never really got to know anyone. That aside, I was a bit of a loner until then, and really don't have much in terms of long term friends. For references, are family friends/godparents applicable? Neither are strictly relatives, but I am unsure if they technically count.

Basically, I don't have long term friends from school or what have you, and I'm hoping this ruin my chances. One of the guys I currently work with was in JTF2 and he basically recruited me lock stock and barrel, but I can't even use him on my reference sheet since I've only known him about a year and a half, maybe two years tops.

Alexander.S said:
For references, are family friends/godparents applicable? Neither are strictly relatives, but I am unsure if they technically count.

Yes, those will do. Most of the people who aren't fresh out of high school who I have seen are also using their family friends. Are they ideal? No. But as long as they aren't related to you, you should be good to go. I recently submitted my reference sheet with all friends and family friends and haven't heard any complaints from them. Just brush them up on what you have been up to with your life if you don't stay in close contact with them so they can answer some basic questions about you.

If you are thinking strongly of apply, get the application going now, and you can work on the references later, you will have time to sort that out. I delayed applying because I was also scared about the references, and I really regret it because the whole process takes a long time and they didn't even need my references until 2 months after I applied. Good luck.

Alexander.S

There are twenty odd pages here with every question under the sun about "References".  If you bother to read them, your questions will be answered.  This is not rocket science.  It is straight forward, stupid simple, what the requirements are. 

Tried to search but it didn't work.

What if you don't have any five year references?

I don't talk to anyone I've known for five years any more.  I have a bunch of people I can use that I have known for two, some of which serve in the forces. Does that suffice? Suggestions on what I should do?

Johngalt24 said:
What if you don't have any five year references?

This may help.
https://www.google.ca/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22reference+superthread%22+%22five+years%22#pws=0&q=site:army.ca+%22reference+superthread%22+%22five+years%22+

Back