• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

From http://www.forces.ca/en/page/howtoapply-106#step2-2 :
PERSONAL AND EMPLOYMENT REFERENCE CHECKS said:
You must provide five references from people who are not relatives. These people must have known you for the last five years (or since you were 16, whichever comes first).

This is tough, because I haven't maintained any close friendships over the years. Do you have to have kept interacting with people continuously? Like I've taken some school courses so my teachers would have on record that I've been around, but I don't know if that's good enough.

I kind of feel like I might have to wait 5 years to join the army simply because I'm going to have to join a bunch of clubs or something just to get references. Which feels kinda weird since I'd almost feel like I'd be 'using' people. I don't feel right socializing solely for the purpose of getting a reference, though I guess doing it in terms of work/career or in terms of taking courses (like maybe learn swimming) would be okay.

Curious if anyone knows when/if in the process they check your employment references.

The list of personal references given were all great ones, and I know one for sure was called the day of CFAT, Interview, Medical in early March. But the concern is for employers listed as "Okay to contact". One of the employers was a long time aquaintance, and there has been a recent personal falling out. Enough so that I doubt the reference would be a good one.

Would an appointment with RC be in order to explain?

Gatsby said:
Curious if anyone knows when/if in the process they check your employment references.

The list of personal references given were all great ones, and I know one for sure was called the day of CFAT, Interview, Medical in early March. But the concern is for employers listed as "Okay to contact". One of the employers was a long time aquaintance, and there has been a recent personal falling out. Enough so that I doubt the reference would be a good one.

Would an appointment with RC be in order to explain?

It probably wouldn't hurt to call and talk to your MCC.

When you give references, you should always talk to them first to make sure that they are willing to give you a good one.  I got a cold call once from a prospective employer for one of my subordinates.  It was an awkward conversation as I did not want to blade him, but at the same time my personal ethics demanded I be honest.  If anything, I committed a few sins of omission.  He didn't get the job - which also meant I was stuck with him....

Talking to the references first was no problem. The personal ones were all great. But the seperate sheet of employment history asked beside each employer "Okay to Contact" (Yes or No). Prior to the personal falling out, there was absolutely no issue with RC contacting this employer. There may or may not be now, and just curious about being pre-emptive.

Hey guys,
So I know that 'letters of reference' are no longer required as part of the application, only a list of references, but apparently some posts have mentioned that having a reference letter helps during the interview phase. I was wondering if one could clarify this for me:

Would a reference letter be handed in with the application or only during the interview?
Would I personally hand it in, or is it submitted by the reference? (ex. a university prof would personally mail a reference for a student applying to a program at another school)
Who should the reference letter be addressed to? Since it could take anywhere between 3 months and a year for my application to get processed, and there is no individual interviewer to give it to, I would hate for my reference letter to not reach its destination at the right time and place.

I am making a trip down to the recruiting centre to clarify on this, but in the mean time I would like to hear input from you guys.
Thanks!

Hi all,

A (albeit quick) search didn't seem to turn up the answer to this simple question: Are your listed references part of the scoring process?

I ask because I feel like many young people in my position who have moved around a lot (especially for school) don't have many (if any) "supervisor" type references who have also known them for more than 5 years. Of course there are always friends, perhaps old teachers whom you've kept in touch with, but these people would obviously sing your praises, which doesn't really make for a good reference.

Trick said:
Of course there are always friends, perhaps old teachers whom you've kept in touch with, but these people would obviously sing your praises, which doesn't really make for a good reference.

Any reference that helps you get the job you're applying for is a good reference. Let the CF worry about its policies.

Trick said:
Hi all,

A (albeit quick) search didn't seem to turn up the answer to this simple question: Are your listed references part of the scoring process?

I ask because I feel like many young people in my position who have moved around a lot (especially for school) don't have many (if any) "supervisor" type references who have also known them for more than 5 years. Of course there are always friends, perhaps old teachers whom you've kept in touch with, but these people would obviously sing your praises, which doesn't really make for a good reference.

Provide the references requested. That's all you have to do.

Or don't apply.

Simple.

You are not the only one who has moved around a lot. Some of us grew up in military families and moved every 2-3 years like clockwork. We managed to join before the was people on the internet to hold our hands.

Provide the references requested. That's all you have to do.

Or don't apply.

Simple.

Does your recruiter have to contact all your references before you can be merit listed?

big45-70 said:
Does your recruiter have to contact all your references before you can be merit listed?

No , if your interview go well and everything is okay, the recruiter put you merit listed . But between the interview and the selection they will call your reference and if you got bad reference they put you out of merit list and pass to another applicant .

I got this information because the recruiter told me : you are now merit listed but your enrolement is conditional to what the reference you give will tell when we"ll call them.
I would also like to know if they call all your 5 reference ? Because i asked 2 of them and they didnt get call.
Have a nice day and soory for the bad english

Jarry said:
No , if your interview go well and everything is okay, the recruiter put you merit listed . But between the interview and the selection they will call your reference and if you got bad reference they put you out of merit list and pass to another applicant .

I got this information because the recruiter told me : you are now merit listed but your enrolement is conditional to what the reference you give will tell when we"ll call them.
I would also like to know if they call all your 5 reference ? Because i asked 2 of them and they didnt get call.
Have a nice day and soory for the bad english

Thanks for the info. 

You are welcome .
If you dont know were your file is or if you are merit listed , give a call to your recruit center , they can tell you if you are or not merit listed.
Good luck

Jarry said:
You are welcome .
If you dont know were your file is or if you are merit listed , give a call to your recruit center , they can tell you if you are or not merit listed.
Good luck

My recruiter told me to call in Friday or Monday.  I'm hoping for good news.  Thanks brother good luck to you as well.

Your references must have known you for at least five (5) continuous years (or to age 16, whichever comes first).

Is 2 - 3 years for Employment References good enough?

PS. I'm only 22 and only have a couple experience in different field (i.e. retail, restaurant, security)

When it comes to employment references I have some concern for my application. I have worked for the family business basically as long as I have had a job, and I also own my own small business as a personal trainer... So my only employment references would be my father and myself... What do I do in this scenario?

Just an idea - your references could be the people you train or have trained. 

I'm just another applicant. The RC staff will be able to point you in the correct direction.

Allgunzblazing said:
Just an idea - your references could be the people you train or have trained. 

I'm just another applicant. The RC staff will be able to point you in the correct direction.

That is good advice thank you, I was also a football player and was thinking I might use my coaches as references as they would be the closest thing to a boss figure besides my father.

After talking to my recruiter yesterday hes told me that i would need a total of five references. After reading this thread this seems strange, does any one have any idea why he would tell me that? Also I am applying to RMC if that makes a difference.

zulu95 said:
After talking to my recruiter yesterday hes told me that i would need a total of five references. After reading this thread this seems strange, does any one have any idea why he would tell me that? Also I am applying to RMC if that makes a difference.

Unless it has to do with the CF changing background check companies from BackCheck to GARDA Global, when I enrolled, it was only 3 references apart from Employers (which are listed in the Employment/Education section). It's been a while since I've looked at the application booklet so I could be off.

Back