• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

I'm sorry to admit that I haven't known anyone for over 5 years on a continual basis.
Does this mean I can't join the armed forces because the only people I have known since I was 15, (I'm 20 now) are family members?

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#Step1-2#step2-3

I'm considering joining, once I get my grade 12 education.

probably been answered:

Can you use a brother-in-law? Not my sister's husband but his brother (currently in the navy is why i am wondering)
not blood relative obvs and idk if i'd call him a friend.

Curious.

Cheers

ComDvr13 said:
Can you use a brother-in-law? Not my sister's husband but his brother (currently in the navy is why i am wondering)
not blood relative obvs and idk if i'd call him a friend.

Are brother-in-law, sister-in-law considered relatives?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12763/post-865800.html#msg865800

mariomike said:
Are brother-in-law, sister-in-law considered relatives?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12763/post-865800.html#msg865800

I appreciate the link but I am not married. And that post and the ones that followed talked about "your" spouses brothers and sisters as your in-laws.

My situation is more: MY sister's husbands brother who is a naval officer. I.E. Professional In-Law, which a post further down did mention is acceptable...in 2009.
Thank you Mariomike. If I had mp points I'd legitimize my gratitude :nod:

I saw that a lot of people said that they didn't ask for reference letters anymore but in my document status, it says:

Letter of Reference 1

Required

Letter of Reference 2

Required

So who do I need to get a letter of reference from? (does it work like the 5 reference you have to give? either profesional, personal or school related people?)
I'm only 19 and I don't have much work experience (worked at a summer day camp when I was 16 and a different one when I was 17. About 2 months and a half each.) I guess I could get one of them from my ''superviser/coordinator'' from one of the daycamps but the one at the second day camp not really (I don't think she knows me enough to write anything about me..). Could the other one be a friend or would that be weird? If not I have a lady that used to work at my HS, she was the one in charge of student activities or something and she was the one that took care of the ''student life committee'' that I was part of for two years (but then again we were not that close either, I was pretty shy/quiet in HS).

I worked for a federal politician /MP some time ago. Is it beneficial to have him/her write a letter to the recruiting office on my behalf? Like a character witness testimony, or letter of recommendation? What about letters of recommendation from charity or not for profit organizations I have worked for as a volunteer?
Do these matter?
Thanks.

I know this has probably been answered already, but under professional references sections, do all the references need to be professional as outlined in the form? If so, what can you do if you have not held a job for 5 years ergo not known this individuals for 5 consecutive years? Does this leave them as unacceptable for a reference? Thanks for any replies in advance.

Zerkaiya

Zerkaiya said:
I know this has probably been answered already, but under professional references sections, do all the references need to be professional as outlined in the form? If so, what can you do if you have not held a job for 5 years ergo not known this individuals for 5 consecutive years? Does this leave them as unacceptable for a reference? Thanks for any replies in advance.

Zerkaiya

I wondered that too, but they asked me for 4 references (academic, Professional and personal) and the only place they talked about references on the document is the ''Professional references'' section. I ended up putting 1 Professional one, 1 academic one and 2 personal one on that section. When I gave my papers to the recruiter at my CFAT appointment, it was fine (well I just had to change my personal ones for others because I put friends and apparently that dosen't count so I put my friend's parents and it was all good).

So yes, from my experience, you can put academic or personal ones there too.

For the other question I'm not sure. I'm 19 so I had to put people I have known since I was at least 16 (since it's either ''known for 5 years'' or ''since 16'' whichever came first, which for me was the second), I put a lady from a summer job I had at 16. It was only two months but I technically have ''known'' her since I was 16.

shadesofgreen said:
I wondered that too, but they asked me for 4 references (academic, Professional and personal) and the only place they talked about references on the document is the ''Professional references'' section. I ended up putting 1 Professional one, 1 academic one and 2 personal one on that section. When I gave my papers to the recruiter at my CFAT appointment, it was fine (well I just had to change my personal ones for others because I put friends and apparently that dosen't count so I put my friend's parents and it was all good).

So yes, from my experience, you can put academic or personal ones there too.

For the other question I'm not sure. I'm 19 so I had to put people I have known since I was at least 16 (since it's either ''known for 5 years'' or ''since 16'' whichever came first, which for me was the second), I put a lady from a summer job I had at 16. It was only two months but I technically have ''known'' her since I was 16.

Thanks for the quick reply SoG, I had assumed that was the case (otherwise why would they define the other two types of references).  See,  I am 21 at this point in time, have not been in school for a couple years and the job I currently work I've held for a little less than 29 months (2 years, 4 months, X days). I've read on these forums before that they look for a accumulated 5 years between all contacts, but that is nowhere outlined in the document I believe. This leaves me having to exempt any professional reference, which is not desireable  ???

Zerkaiya said:
Thanks for the quick reply SoG, I had assumed that was the case (otherwise why would they define the other two types of references).  See,  I am 21 at this point in time, have not been in school for a couple years and the job I currently work I've held for a little less than 29 months (2 years, 4 months, X days). I've read on these forums before that they look for a accumulated 5 years between all contacts, but that is nowhere outlined in the document I believe. This leaves me having to exempt any professional reference, which is not desireable  ???

Well like I said, I worked with my professional reference for 2 months when was 16 and not ''since I was 16'' and it was fine. Maybe it's the same for as you. If you put someone you worked with that was at least 5 years ago it might be fine even if you didn't work with them for 5 years. You technically know who they. Try to think of someone you remember getting along with. But yeah, you should call the recruiting center near you to ask about it to be sure.

But A lot of 18-17 year olds that apply have not had a job (or at least not one they can use as a reference since they only had a job recently maybe) so I don't think that it will matter too much. At least try to find some good academic reference. I used a lady from my high school (she took care of school activities and was in charge of the committee I was in). I don't speak to her anymore so it wasn't a case of ''bn in contact with her since I was 16). Still worked though.

shadesofgreen said:
Well like I said, I worked with my professional reference for 2 months when was 16 and not ''since I was 16'' and it was fine. Maybe it's the same for as you. If you put someone you worked with that was at least 5 years ago it might be fine even if you didn't work with them for 5 years. You technically know who they. Try to think of someone you remember getting along with. But yeah, you should call the recruiting center near you to ask about it to be sure.

But A lot of 18-17 year olds that apply have not had a job (or at least not one they can use as a reference since they only had a job recently maybe) so I don't think that it will matter too much. At least try to find some good academic reference. I used a lady from my high school (she took care of school activities and was in charge of the committee I was in). I don't speak to her anymore so it wasn't a case of ''bn in contact with her since I was 16). Still worked though.

Thanks for the advice, I will call the local recruiting centre or go in person tomorrow. Hopefully they can clarify this for me as I am quite anxious to get this thing started.

New member here, and I have a couple questions im not sure have been answered.
To note I have not started my application yet, just trying to do as much research as i can. But in regards to Employment References and Employment history, what if you never had an employer?. I've always lived and worked on the family farm and still farm till this day, so Ive always been self employed. Anyone have experience with this? would i just put down that ive always been self employed, and what if they say I need and employer as a reference if i never had one?

As far as friends as references can i use people that dont live in Canada.. people that live in the United States? Cause there are a couple people i know down there that ive met though online sources and known them for close to  6 years and know me really well personally..  the one told me i could use them as a reference but i dont know if i could. Would they be acceptable.?..

All this reference stuff is my biggest worry cause i dont know many people to use.. any teachers are gonna be hard to track down if they even remember me, as i been out of school for almost 9 years.
As far as friends most all of them that knew me well enough have moved on to diff places and i lost contact with them, i wasnt the most social kid in school so friends i had weren't really that close to friends so after school stuff quickly faded for me.. I just been keeping to myself the last 9 years and just know people as acquaintances, but not well enough to use as a reference.. dont know my neighbors well enough either, or not sure i if i want to use them, not cause i dont think they would be a good reference but for reasons of everyone out here are really big gossip type people and I just don want everyone in the entire community and countryside for miles around knowing my business..

and im a bit confused as what considered family.? I understand i cant use my sister in law for example.. but could i use someone in her side of the family, like one of her parents relatives as a reference as they not a blood relative?..

Employment history is exactly that.  Where were you employed?  If you were self-employed, then that is your answer.  You just have to say what you were doing and where.  Thousands of applicants to the CF have never had a job (i.e. folks just out of high school), so don't sweat it.  Students just say they were students (and where they were going to school).

As far as I know, your references need to be in Canada, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

So curious question... I know that the reliability screening requires you to have 5 personal references that you have known for 5 years, or since you were 16 I haven't really started working until last year and the whole 5 references may be an issue.. Can one still get through the reliability screening with only 1 or 2 references?

JoeDos said:
So curious question... I know that the reliability screening requires you to have 5 personal references that you have known for 5 years, or since you were 16 I haven't really started working until last year and the whole 5 references may be an issue.. Can one still get through the reliability screening with only 1 or 2 references?

Chances are your CFRC will "push" the issue and insist you provide references within the guidelines.

What about teachers, coaches or even a neighbour/friend or two who you may have done some odd jobs for.  Just be sure to ask them in advance if they wouldn't mind you using them as a reference.

JoeDos said:

Does the form you have state that you need to provide 5 personal or professional references? The reason I ask is because last year when I applied, I used 5 of my friends as references. However this year, I was told that they are more strict and that you need professional references instead; friends cannot be used. The new form I was given is "CFRGHQ/R3 Stds - PVF 2012". I'm also having a very difficult time finding professional references who I've known for 5 years...

OblivionKnight said:
Does the form you have state that you need to provide 5 personal or professional references? The reason I ask is because last year when I applied, I used 5 of my friends as references. However this year, I was told that they are more strict and that you need professional references instead; friends cannot be used. The new form I was given is "CFRGHQ/R3 Stds - PVF 2012". I'm also having a very difficult time finding professional references who I've known for 5 years...

Please READ the instructions.  Follow the instructions.  If the instructions ask for three (3) references who have known you for X number or years or since you were 16 years of age, and not an immediate relative; one (1) reference who was one of your teachers; and one (1) reference who was your employer; or whatever the instructions may ask, then that is what is expected of you to answer.  This is not complicated.  Follow the instructions you were given.  You are applying for employment in an organization that 'demands' that you be able to follow instructions.  If you can not follow the most basic of instructions, you will face extreme difficulty succeding in this organization.

KISS

JoeDos said:

Have you recieved the papers to fill in yet? Because I saw that on the website it said 5 references but when the recruiter sent me the paper to fill in (so I could bring them to my CFAT) the paper only asked for 4 references (could be different for you though). I used one Professional reference (the coordinator at the sumemr camp I worked at when i was 16), an academic one (the lady at my school that takes care of school activity and that was in charge of the student life committee) and a parent of two of my friends (I had put two friends and they told me I couln't use them but I could put their parents).
A Profesional references is preferable but I don't think you absolutely have to. I mean if you didn't have a job then you didn't have a job.

You could use teachers, coach, someone in charge of something you were part of at school, your friend's parents apparently, a family friend...
But yeah, don't just put 1-2, if they ask for 5 put 5 dosen't have to be job related.

shadesofgreen said:
Have you recieved the papers to fill in yet? Because I saw that on the website it said 5 references but when the recruiter sent me the paper to fill in (so I could bring them to my CFAT) the paper only asked for 4 references (could be different for you though). I used one Professional reference (the coordinator at the sumemr camp I worked at when i was 16), an academic one (the lady at my school that takes care of school activity and that was in charge of the student life committee) and a parent of two of my friends (I had put two friends and they told me I couln't use them but I could put their parents).
A Profesional references is preferable but I don't think you absolutely have to. I mean if you didn't have a job then you didn't have a job.

You could use teachers, coach, someone in charge of something you were part of at school, your friend's parents apparently, a family friend...
But yeah, don't just put 1-2, if they ask for 5 put 5 dosen't have to be job related.

No I have yet to actually receive the forms I am just merely trying to prepare everything so that the application goes smooth, and unfortunately it seems as though teachers will be a tough one considering when I was a student I wasn't the greatest, and I actually have moved around a fair amount. I only really have 2 credible references. 

Back