• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

Thanks I think I will try to get five anyway, just in case. Then I can always pick and choose.

zulu95 said:
Thanks I think I will try to get five anyway, just in case. Then I can always pick and choose.

It's pretty simple: The recruiter told you to get get 5, so get 5.

What you read here or anywhere else could be outdated, flat out wrong or simply not applicable to your situation. Do what was asked of you, it is something you will have to get used to anyways.

Regarding my employment history, if I worked at a place 2 years ago and I am no longer in contact with management (As well as the fact all the managers are different now) should I just list the number of the store and leave the contact name/email blank?

I've emailed my recruiter the same question, but considering that it is the weekend I figured he wouldn't be checking his inbox on his days off so I might as well ask on here as well. I want to finish up my documents as soon as possible.

Lean-N-Supreme said:
Regarding my employment history, if I worked at a place 2 years ago and I am no longer in contact with management (As well as the fact all the managers are different now) should I just list the number of the store and leave the contact name/email blank?

I've emailed my recruiter the same question, but considering that it is the weekend I figured he wouldn't be checking his inbox on his days off so I might as well ask on here as well. I want to finish up my documents as soon as possible.

There is a thing called the "Statutory Declaration".  Use that spot to explain anything, such as this example, that may raise questions.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know how often the recruiters contact all of your references? I have heard many answers, like they only call the first last one on your list, or they don't call if you have provided letters. I figured someone on here could hopefully provide me with a more definite answer.

Thanks in advance!

Simon

I don't know how helpful this will be, but in my case I know that only one reference was contacted--my first one.  I had several reference letters included with an 'interview package' of my own that I brought to my interview, but the letters were from persons separate from my original list of references.

That being said, I've come across a story (I don't now how accurate it is, and I can't remember which thread I read it in :p) of someone who was removed from BMQ because of something they had said or written that was later found to be false, so perhaps background/reference checks continue past the initial interview stage? I'm not sure...

SIROEW said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know how often the recruiters contact all of your references? I have heard many answers, like they only call the first last one on your list, or they don't call if you have provided letters. I figured someone on here could hopefully provide me with a more definite answer.

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Hello.  I am a current CF Recruiter at a CFRC and will speak to the above quote.

The reference check has no real rhym to it in terms of if they use the first, last or middle reference.  Each MCC or File Manager that does the reference check will do it as they have been taught and many develope a way that works for them after doing it for so long.  Many factors are taken in.  One thing that is looked for is to see if the applicant is, "steering" the refernce check.  By this I mean, you are supposed to provide 5 references that have known you for 5 years each.  Some applicants will put down that they have known one person for an extremely long period of time, (ie 16 years) and the other 4 the bare minimum of 5 years (and in some cases less than the minimum)  In this case, the person doing the reference check wants to talk to someone that would know them well, and one would assume the person that has known the applicant for 16 years.  At this point, they would also choose, at a minimum, 1 of the people that has known they for 5 years because most applicants would know we will call the friend/associate etc of 16 years and might think we wont call the other 4.

Each MCC or file manager will go off there gut.  They will call as many references as they need to until they are satisfied they have a good picture of the applicant.  Sometimes this only takes 1-2 reference checks, sometimes all 5.  Written references will have little effect on this and even if you provided, say 12 references, we would still call, at a minimum, one of the references provided.

Again, the above is all depending on the gut feeling the MCC is having.  Also, all previous employers listed will be contacted.  I STRONGLY reccomend against, "forgetting," to list an old employer that might give a bad reference.  We understand not all employers will have good things to say about old employees, even the good old employees.  We often find out if you are not listing someone and thats worse than if we called them and got a bad reference.

If anyone else has any reference chck questions they would like answered, I will check back on here sometime over the weekend but I am not a big Army.ca person and am just exploring the idea of having someone occasionaly take questions on this site.

Hi, I'm wondering how long it usually takes for a reference check to be completed? I have called my Recruiting Centre every Friday for the past 4 weeks, and they still tell me that the reference check is in the process of being completed.

And before anyone says it, I used the search function, and I could not find an answer to my question.

Hax24 said:
Hi, I'm wondering how long it usually takes for a reference check to be completed? I have called my Recruiting Centre every Friday for the past 4 weeks, and they still tell me that the reference check is in the process of being completed.

And before anyone says it, I used the search function, and I could not find an answer to my question.

I would give them more time between you contacting them. They can be very busy and file managers can often have a lot on their plate.  I know waiting and not hearing anything can be frustrating, but I usually only called mine once a month. Occasionally, it may have been twice a month during a couple of instances where there was confusion as to what was taking place with my file.  It's not unusual for some applicants to go several weeks without hearing of any status changes to their process, or getting new information when they call for an update.

Alright, thanks. I was actully only calling every week because the recruiters I talked to always told me to call back in a week!

Hax24 said:
Alright, thanks. I was actully only calling every week because the recruiters I talked to always told me to call back in a week!

Okay--sounds like your file manager is probably just as nice as mine, which isn't a bad thing, but I still try to give him some breathing room.  Best of luck!

Proud_Canadian said:
If anyone else has any reference chck questions they would like answered, I will check back on here sometime over the weekend but I am not a big Army.ca person and am just exploring the idea of having someone occasionaly take questions on this site.

I applied at the Toronto Office and was told that Garda Security will be doing the reference and background checks.

I completed my interview and medical February 26th and my interviewer, a Lieutenant, informed me that if my background hadn't already begun then it would be starting very soon.
He also informed me that I was a competitive civilian candidate with no real skill sets which can be applied to my chosen trades; Infantry, Armoured and Artillery.

When I called back two weeks later to verify my reference contact numbers due to an office move I was told that my file was still being held by the Lieutenant.

Not sure why I would be told my background would have been started if my file hadn't been moved to Garda? Do they need to hear back from Ottawa about my medical before sending the file to Garda?

Not sure if you can provide any insight on this but I did inform the Lieutenant I was getting married on May 31st of this year and he told me that I didn't have to accept my first offer due to the fact that I'm getting married and cannot change that now.

The way I see it he is holding onto my file a bit longer to slow the background process so once I am merit listed and get a call I can accept my offer as basic would begin after my wedding.

Would my assumption seem accurate?

Does Garda do the reference checks or do they just look into the criminal background checks and financial investigation?

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could give me an answer to this, sorry in advance for the long paragraph:

For my "professional references" 2 of the 4 I am using are family friends that have employed me before. Under the "employment history" references is where I am uncertain however. I am only 18 so I don't have a huge amount of work experience. I have had a summer job in 9th grade and one last summer after graduating highschool. The problem is that from my 9th grade job theres no way they will remember who I am and for the 12th grade summer job I doubt they will remember me either as I was only there for 2.5 months.

Anyways finally getting to the point, would it look bad if I put no contact info for those 2 summer jobs when putting them as references under my employment history? My 2 references under "professional references" are the best bet I have for a quality reference for work history so should I put them under "professional references" AND "employment history" ?

Sorry about the long paragraph, have a nice day!

You want to make sure that your "references" can readily be contacted.  Don't leave it blank!  If you are having issues, I would suggest you contact your respective CFRC and seek their advice.

DAA said:
You want to make sure that your "references" can readily be contacted.  Don't leave it blank!  If you are having issues, I would suggest you contact your respective CFRC and seek their advice.

thanks for the reply. I think I have figured out what I'm going to do.

I have another question:

My most recent job was a 2 week temporary job through a placement agency so theres no way they could know me enough to give a reference. Would it look bad or suspicious to a recruiter if I put that job down but selected for them not to be contacted? Has anyone else here selected for the recruiters not to contact someone? I would ask a recruiter but the recruiter I was talking to on the phone randomly hung up on my halfway through explaining.....guess my question was stupid  ???

Back