• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
During the reign of Mackenzie King, who did the term "zombies" apply to and why?

Soldiers called up for duty under the National Resources Mobilization Act (NRMA) who were employed in Canada (sometimes for territorial defence) but who did not volunteer to go overseas.

Cheers

side with PBI on this quesiton...
if memory serves me right, members serving overseas wore a green or fox (officers) necktie while the zombies wore a black one.
Some zombies did get deployed at the very end of the war.... not very popular with the active service boys.

As well, zombies apparently did not wear the Canada shoulder flashes that the overseas troops did. 

But McNaughton too, despite his great prestige, was unable to find enough NRMA men willing to volunteer. On November 22, 1944, King was forced to reverse his position and order conscripts overseas.

Some 13,000 NRMA men eventually left Canada, but only 2,463 reached units in the field before the end of the fighting. 69 died in battle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you see the term 'Zombies' below, let me explain the true meaning. In Canada we had two classifications of conscripts: those that were destined for overseas service, while the others who signed up as 'Reserve' could not be sent overseas, their role being as Home Defence troops. Naturally they were not looked on with favour by those who signed up to fight the Nazi scourge, and so were baptized with the derogatory title of Zombies. They were scorned by the rest of us.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Zombies also wore a "scrambeled eggs" badge on their Battle dress jackets.
who'se principle colour was a egg yellow.... not very flattering IMHO

Recceguy is correct about the Battle of White Mountain. Sorry I didn't respond to confirm a bit sooner; I got a little busy with other things.
Nice to see such an active interest in history.

What is the significance of the "Anse au Foulon" in military history?

redleafjumper said:
What is the significance of the "Anse au Foulon" in military history?

"It remains to remark on the significance of these events for Canadian, North American, and indeed world history, alluded to at the opening of this brief account. Obviously the fall of New France had the most profound effect on the nation then known as the Canadians, now known as the Québecois, for whom the Battle of the Plains of Abraham remains a moment of national tragedy. But the result was not the destruction of this nation, as many feared at the time. Owing in part to sheer collective determination and willpower, in part to the relatively enlightened policy adopted by the British in the Quebec Act of 1774 (which confirmed the traditional legal system in Canada as well as the privilege of the Catholic Church), the inhabitants of New France overcame the Conquest and today they flourish.

In terms of North American history, however, this Quebec Act, together with (more largely) the removal of the threat of New France to the colonies of New England, had a great impact on the rebellion of the Thirteen Colonies in 1776 and the subsequent births of the United States and of English-speaking Canada: no longer concerned with protection against the French and their allies by the British crown, American separatists could seek independence without the fear of invasion. The consequences, therefore, of the Plains of Abraham for world history are obvious: without it, the peaceful coexistence of two of the world's greatest rivals, the English and the French languages, for two centuries side by side without violence, would never have been possible, and the world would be deprived today of its greatest model of diversity and mutual respect."
http://www.stanford.edu/~jackm/history.htm

Yes Armyvern, that is a good answer as to the significance of "Anse au Foulon" aka Wolfe's Cove and that sunny September day in 1759.

In 1919 a future world leader drafted a statement to give to US President Woodrow Wilson.  That statement read in part:

"...all subject people are filled with hope by the prospect that an era of right and justice is opening to them... in the struggle of civilization against barbarism."

Who was that leader, what country was he from, and what was his original name, as well as the name by which he is commonly known?

Obviously too much ime on my hands, so

What USAF bomber was modified to carry an air cooled nuclear reactor as part of a nuclear powered aircraft research program?

Tom

Leader:
Ho Chi Minh of Vietnam, then known as Nguyen Ai Quoc

Bomber:
B-36

I'm new to answering these types of questions, but a quick search got me an answer of the Convair B-36H bomber and I guess it was then renamed the NB-36H.  You are probably looking for a little more in depth, but this is what I found.

Edit: A link to a possible pic of the plane and I just noticed that baboon6 already answered the question... Whoops.

http://www.airbornegrafix.com/HistoricAircraft/ClassicAC/nb36_title.jpg

Baboon Six is correct.  Ho Chi Minh, born Nguyen Sinh Cung in Nghe An province in Central Vietnam, travelled the world, never married and made his country his life's work.

Who was the top-scoring French fighter pilot of World War 2 and what was the name of the book he wrote about his experiences?

Pierre H. Closterman, Free French Ace with 33 kills, wrote "The Big Show" an account of his experiences in World War 2.

redleafjumper said:
Who was "Mr. Lincoln's General"?  

Mr. Lincoln's General was Ulysses S. Grant, who solidified this status after leading his troops to a stunning Union victory at the Battle of Chattanooga.

Army Vern gets yet another!  Despite what promised to be an unremarkable career, U.S. Grant was Lincoln's General.  He graduated in academic obscurity in the bottom third of his class at West Point and displayed some indecisiveness early on his career, but his strategic sense and tactical acumen served him well.  He later became President of the U.S.A.

Who was the commander of the Army of Alsace during the Battle of the Frontiers?

redleafjumper said:
Who was the commander of the Army of Alsace during the Battle of the Frontiers?

"In command of the operation to take Mulhouse was General Bonneau, and he was assigned a detachment of the First Army, plus one cavalry and two infantry divisions.  Ranged against him was the German Seventh Army under General von Heeringen."

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/mulhouse.htm

redleafjumper said:
Armyvern close, but not correct on the commander of the Army of Alsace...

Well with getting fired and whatnot....

"Charging Bonneau with a lack of aggression, he was promptly relieved of command.  Recognising the high profile of the loss, Joffre added four more divisions to the so-called 'Army of Alsace' placed under the command of General Pau, which unsuccessfully advanced upon Lorraine later that month."

same ref.

That's correct!  General Pau commanded during the Battel of the Frontiers.

Who commanded at Verdun after General Petain was promoted to command the Group of Armies of the Center?

Back