• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Armyvern is correct.  A nice comprehensive answer on the Churchill Crocodile.  One thing that could be more specific, what was the model of hull machinegun on the Churchill Mk VII infantry tank?

Armyvern, if I order a machinegun and you send me a quick-firing 75mm cannon, I would be a bit disappointed.  This is the hull MG we are talking about here not the turret mounted main gun.

redleafjumper said:
Armyvern, if I order a machinegun and you send me a quick-firing 75mm cannon, I would be a bit disappointed.  This is the hull MG we are talking about here not the turret mounted main gun.

I bet if she also provided ammo, you'd play with it for a while first before returning it to exchange,  ;)

redleafjumper said:
Armyvern, if I order a machinegun and you send me a quick-firing 75mm cannon, I would be a bit disappointed.   This is the hull MG we are talking about here not the turret mounted main gun.

Darn...I'm no weapons groupie!!!   ;D

I shall try again!!

PS...What's a hull?  Part of a ship?  ;)

Ok then, I'm trying this:

"Czech ZB vz/53 (also called the vz/37) designed by Vaclav Hoiek was chosen. The original intention was to have it redesigned to take the rimmed .303-in (7.7-mm) cartridge, but time was short and it was decided to forgo its infantry application and adopt it for tank use only in its original 7.92-mm (0.312-in) chambering, which then required a supply of 7.92-mm ammunition. This was less of a disadvantage for tank use than it would have been had the weapon seen wider application. Arrangements were made to have the gun manufactured by the BSA company under licence, hence the name BESA. The first production guns were be issued to the army late in 1939."

http://www.ian.a.paterson.btinternet.co.uk/equiparmourtanks.htm#BESA
Am I getting warmer?

The Churchill mounted a Besa 7.92mm machine gun, possibly Mk 3 or Mk 3* was mounted in the hull.  Now if the 75mm came with ammo...  hmmm...  (shake head and get back to semblance of reality).  Sigh!   

Oh, a hull?  That's what's left over after you eat the peanut.  ;D

What's the difference between an AN/PRC 25 and an AN/PRC 77?

The moisture drain on the battery box cover.

Larry Strong said:

The moisture drain on the battery box cover.

There is a bit more to it than that.  There is a description of the 77 set at this site:  http://www.associated-ind.com/products/an_prc_77.htm

Also from http://www.fernblatt.net/m12.html#a2265:

RT-841/PRC-77
Receiver-transmitter, 30-76mHz, 920 chan, 50kHz spacing, FM, 1.5-4w, 13VDC from mil-type BA-4386 battery, replaced the RT-505/PRC-25, but provides secure voice, part of AN/PRC-77, AN/VRC-64, and AN/GRC-160 sets.

RT-505/PRC-25
Receiver-transmitter, 30-76mHz, 920 chan, 50kHz spacing, FM, 1-2w, solid-state except 2DF4 final, 14VDC from mil-type BA-4386 battery, 18lbs

Hey guys can I play?

Why did the United States lend a Navy aircraft carrier and 10 Airforce B-26s to the french forces?

Ammogod said:
Hey guys can I play?

Why did the United States lend a Navy aircraft carrier and 10 Airforce B-26s to the french forces?

Welcome! From: http://www.afa.org/magazine/aug2004/0804dien.asp

The photo is at the web site above.

United States Air Force B-26s loaned to France sit on the ramp at Tourane, Vietnamâ ”later known as Da Nang. They still wear the nose art they carried in Korean action, mere months before. American airpower assistance was the last hope for the French in Indochina. (Photo Bernard Reck via Warren Thompson)

Less well known, however, is that the Vietnam fuse had been lit back in 1954. The spark was the battle of Dien Bien Phu.

In early 1954, France, a key Western ally, faced a major crisis in what was then called French Indochina. Several thousand French soldiers were trapped in the fortress at Dien Bien Phu, an isolated town in northern Vietnam, near the border with Laos.

In an effort to assist the besieged garrison, French forces had borrowed and were using a US Navy aircraft carrier, 10 US Air Force B-26s, several C-47s and C-119s, and hundreds of US Air Force personnel.

Washington wanted to help. The question was how far President Dwight D. Eisenhower would go to prevent a communist triumph at Dien Bien Phu.

Vietnam and other parts of Indochina had been French colonies since the 19th century. Chased out by occupying Japanese forces in World War II, France had returned after the defeat of Japan and sought to re-establish colonial control.

France's actions provoked open warfare with communist-dominated Viet Minh forcesâ ”led by Gen. Vo Nguyen Giapâ ”which in 1946 launched a broad armed uprising against the French. In October 1949, China's communists won their own civil war and started sending aid southward.

There is a bit more to it than that.  Thats what they taught us in comms course, :) didn't bother teaching us the rest of that ;D

Larry Strong said:
There is a bit more to it than that.   Thats what they taught us in comms course, :) didn't bother teaching us the rest of that ;D

I remember working in the MSA as a Cpl and asking what the heck was the difference between the 2 of them when someone TSRd 5 of each. They all looked the same to me!! Some-one told me the difference was was a 'crystal.' ??? Can someone elaborate on this ??? That would have been the answer I gave for this question!!

The solid state crystal in the 77 set is the main part of it, the 25 set is not completely solid state.  The two radios do appear to be identical externally - the difference is the Receiver Transmitter units.  For the RT 505 in the 25 set the components are of older technology and thus have reduced range (2 watts output max.) and capabilities.  The RT 841 in the 77 set has the secure voice feature and has enhanced range (4 watts output max.  - twice the 25 set).

redleafjumper said:
The solid state crystal in the 77 set is the main part of it, the 25 set is not completely solid state.   The two radios do appear to be identical externally - the difference is the Receiver Transmitter units.   For the RT 505 in the 25 set the components are of older technology and thus have reduced range (2 watts output max.) and capabilities.   The RT 841 in the 77 set has the secure voice feature and has enhanced range (4 watts output max.   - twice the 25 set).

Oh...so are you telling me I might have got partial value if I had said 'the crystal'. I know you would have also added on there's a little bit more to it than that!!

Yes, I would have given partial credit for some reference to the crystal.  An answer referring to the different RT units would have been better and anything past that would have been gravy!

Hmm, time for another question...

What was the "Battle of Bogside"?

redleafjumper said:
What was the "Battle of Bogside"?

"On 12 August 1969, the disaffected Catholic population of the Bogside district of Derry, Northern Ireland, took to the streets in the wake of a Protestant Apprentice Boys parade in the city. The riots continued for three days and ended when British troops were deployed, a decision that was to shape the future of Northern Ireland for over thirty years."

http://bogside.iqnaut.net/

Yes that is correct.  A reporter named Clive Limpkin wrote a photo book about the whole thing.  That was awfully quick; I' ll have to think of something a bit more challenging.

How about this one: Which UN sanctioned "peacekeeping missions" has Canada not participated in?

Back