• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Vice-Admiral Sir John Byng was executed by firing squad aboard HMS Monarch in Portsmouth on March 14th, 1757.

Byng was judged to have "failed to do his utmost" during the naval Battle of Minorca on May 20th, 1756.

John_Byng.jpg

From his execution came one of the most famous phrases in military history:

Byng's execution was satirized by Voltaire in his novel Candide. In Portsmouth, Candide witnesses the execution of an officer by firing squad; and is told that "in this country, it is wise to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others" (Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres)."

Dan

Full points - Admiral of the Blue John Byng was the tragic figure executed for politics.

Someone else want a go?

Cheers,

In keeping with a previous question about vanity licence plates the question is; who had the staff car with the plate SS 3?

Dan

exspy said:
In keeping with a previous question about vanity licence plates the question is; who had the staff car with the plate SS 3?

Dan

Reinhard Heydrich

Correct, it was Heydrich.  It was the licence plate on the vehicle he was riding in when he was attacked by SOE trained Czech soldiers.

I am wondering who had the plate SS 2?

The next question is over to you, MM.

Dan

When was the first time heavy strategic bombers were employed in a tactical close support role?

Was it the Battle of Neuve Chappel in March of 1915?  As for SS-2 my best guess is that it was Chief of the Gestapo Heinrich Muller.

Cheers,

I believe it was Bomber Command's attack of the Normandy battle area on the evening of 7 July 1944.
2,276 tons of bombs were dropped in a 1,000-yard-wide rectangle with virtually no spill over.  The conclusion was that bomber crews who were well briefed could provide accurate close support.

I searched. I do not believe this question has been asked.
What was the worst peacetime accident in the history of Maritime Command or the RCN?

mariomike said:
I searched. I do not believe this question has been asked.
What was the worst peacetime accident in the history of Maritime Command or the RCN?

On 23 October 1969 HMCS Kootenay suffered the worst peacetime accident in the history of Maritime Command (MARCOM) or the RCN when one of her gearboxes exploded. The explosion and the ensuing fire killed 9 crew members and injured at least 8 others.

Who said this?
"It drives one mad to think some Canadian boor, who probably can't even find Europe on the globe, flies here from a country glutted with natural resources to bombard a continent with a crowded population."

Back