• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

Bloody Army, dunno what it's coming to! Right, then- Sergeant Major, marching up and down the square: GO! Left, right, left, right..

Nomination process

To ensure that a variety of fields of activity are recognized, partner organizations have been invited to nominate candidates from their community or organization for this national honour.

Members of the general public are welcome to contact the offices of members of Parliament, senators, lieutenant governors, territorial commissioners, or provincial and territorial premiers to suggest names of candidates.

taken from http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=14019&lan=eng

What if the Canadian Forces simply declined the medals due to the non inclusive nature of the presentations?

If it is a commemorative medal, then it should be awarded on a similar basis as the British are using (i.e in for a set length of time, or awarded to everyone who joined that year or some other standard). If it is an award of merit, then the "merit" needs to be clearly spelled out. We would be all better off if an official certificate was printed, signed by the GG and CDS and presented to every serving member so they could frame it and put it on the "I love me" wall.

Thucydides said:
What if the Canadian Forces simply declined the medals due to the non inclusive nature of the presentations?

If it is a commemorative medal, then it should be awarded on a similar basis as the British are using (i.e in for a set length of time, or awarded to everyone who joined that year or some other standard). If it is an award of merit, then the "merit" needs to be clearly spelled out. We would be all better off if an official certificate was printed, signed by the GG and CDS and presented to every serving member so they could frame it and put it on the "I love me" wall.

Signed certificates will be issued.

Members of the general public are welcome to contact the offices of members of Parliament, senators, lieutenant governors, territorial commissioners, or provincial and territorial premiers to suggest names of candidates.

Your MP for example gets a quota to distribute/award to persons in their constituency.  In the past, for other similar type medals, I have nominated persons in the community that I though were worthy. Using the military nomination requirements puts your paperwork head and shoulders above the usual letter.

Attending the MP's award "ceremony" can be a hoot. Judy Washa Washa Lee, as I called her (formally NDP North Winnipeg), presented medals to all her favs, tin foil hat NDP cohorts, with one exception. Judy gave glowing personal accounts of everyone, then read from a written recommendation, that I thought was a little bitter grapes (one less for the team).

Note: If you forward a recommendation to your MP, Senator, etc, follow up with regular phone calls or a letter. Get two signatures as support for your recommendation. If possible get one or both from an official at some level (MLA/City Councillor).

I say just start a Facebook campaign promoting yourself. What better way to bring attention to yourself than social media?

According to this everyone with 5 years in for Canada too!

http://www2.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=5630638

volition said:
According to this everyone with 5 years in for Canada too!

http://www2.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=5630638

That's not the way I read it. It sounds like having at least five years is just one of the requisites to get in the running. 

We'll see.

You might be correct! Here's the Ottawa citizen saying the same thing.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/touch/story.html?id=5630638

I'd like to see 5 years svc and two tours to Afghanistan. That'll cancel out all the CD 125 cancers out there.

dogger1936 said:
I'd like to see 5 years svc and two tours to Afghanistan. That'll cancel out all the CD 125 cancers out there.

It also cancels out many of the non-land occupations that makes it especially difficult or near impossible for them to get a tour to AFG. Just because a soldier/sailor/airperson hasn't been to AFG doesn't mean they have been siting on their hands hiding for the last 10 years.

But I'm fairly certain you were just being sarcastic  ;)

Halifax Tar said:
It also cancels out many of the non-land occupations that makes it especially difficult or near impossible for them to get a tour to AFG. Just because a soldier/sailor/airperson hasn't been to AFG doesn't mean they have been siting on their hands hiding for the last 10 years.

There's always Op Attention.  >:D

PuckChaser said:
There's always Op Attention.  >:D

You are completely correct. All I mean is that the CF does more than just the AFG mission what ever name its under.  ;)

I know many Army cooks, for example, who have been very busy on HMC ships but have yet to be deployed to AFG.

For the record I would like to see an all or nothing approach by the government for this medal, WRT its issuing to CF members.

Halifax Tar said:
For the record I would like to see an all or nothing approach by the government for this medal, WRT its issuing to CF members.

I suspect that ship has sailed (no pun intended).

Back